PDA

View Full Version : Rear brake renewing (complete seizure)

GTE TURBZ
20-11-06, 10:22 PM
Hi, my rear braking needs a complete overhaul,i.e. drums, calipers, shoes need replacing, i was reading the haynes manual step by step instruction, but on that it was refering to a bolt on the reverse (backing plate) which opens and closes the shoes (adjustment). But on the GTE i couldnt find that nut. Is it the earlier models that have that system, as one of the treads stating the brums are bigger thus mechanism may also be different?:confused: So how easy is it? as the haynes mainly refers to the 1.0 1.2 1.3 etc

Best place to get shoes and drums and calipers the hand brake cable?

Vauxhall are charging 80 odd quid just for the calipers.

Thanks

lee 16v
20-11-06, 10:53 PM
i thought all rear nova brakes are the same, you adjuster is inside the brakes you need to take the drum off and its there, prob easyer if someone has a pic.

dannyb
20-11-06, 11:44 PM
Check the for sale threads as Stuart on here has a load of new bits for your rear brakes iirc

Stuart
21-11-06, 07:52 AM
there is no adjuster that needs turning manually (appart from REALLY early cars. the rest are auto adjusters.

other than buying my rear beam, the best place for cheap gen gm bits is autovaux.

oh and there are no calipers in the rear brakes

GTE TURBZ
21-11-06, 06:39 PM
Thanks heaps, yeah auto vaux were ace, bought the entire kit with delivery for less than a 100 cheers.

yeah sorry i meant rear cylinder that works with the shoes and not calipers for disks.

so as you said on the later novas they auto adjust, does that mean i simple change old for new without adjusting anything pop the drum on and the shoes will sort them selves out. which leaves me to adjust the handbreake cable?:) or is there more to it.

Stuart
21-11-06, 06:56 PM
id set the auto adjsuter back to minimum adjsutment and then let it sort itself out when you press the brake pedal for the first time....

also only do one side at a time ;) that way you can check the spring locations etc ;)

Novasport
21-11-06, 11:23 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/NovaSport/20082006081.jpg

Novasport
21-11-06, 11:25 PM
That might help, had my beam & backplates powder coated before replacing everything on mine with genuine parts.

GTE TURBZ
22-11-06, 12:22 PM
auto vaux said theres not much in it between gen vaux parts and the stuff they sell, it all comply with the braking standards.:confused: pics, VERY CLEAN ;).

so one last thing then, how do i set the auto adjustment to minium so that i can put the drums on withought it rubbing on the shoes, i gather thats what you do that?

Ill be putting it on tonight after work, hope all goes well, its the first time i've jacked up the car since i bought it 8 weeks ago and the beam and suspension arm, all underneath etc is rotten its all flaky its prob due to the cars age. ive told the body shop i want the underneath wax olyled but i guess they'll just apply the stuff over the fleaky bits. Or just have a go with wire brush all round better than nothing?

Novasport
22-11-06, 03:44 PM
Just screw the nut with ratchet teeth on all the way to the end of the threaded fork so it goes all the way into the fork tube so its as short as possible.

Novasport
22-11-06, 03:45 PM
The rest of the car will hopefully be as clean as that aswell ;)

Stuart
22-11-06, 04:36 PM
thats a weird looking beam..... ie NOT the same as any other nova beam that ive seen lol. must be a really really really early one...

Novasport
22-11-06, 05:32 PM
They were fitted from 83 to 87, they are virtually the same apart from having a metal & plastic slider mounted in the centre for the handbrake.
Think they had a habit of siezing so they changed to the floating linkage type.
Thought you knew everything there was to know about Nova's!

Stuart
22-11-06, 06:05 PM
erm no. i jsut know enough about the things i want to know about... things like varations in rear beams that were fitted in a narrow age range dont intrest me... anyhoo my 1986 d reg has the "normal" beam as std..

GTE TURBZ
26-11-06, 06:19 PM
Thanks alot for your help guys (esp stuart), managed to strip everything, just a question of putting it back together now, and figured out the auto adjusting forks anol:thumb:. yeah and i will be doing one side at a time for the spring drum set up. :)