PDA

View Full Version : The worst Monday of my life (not car related)

ade
20-11-06, 10:00 PM
Today I had the unfortunate task of accompanying my wife to say a final goodbye to our horse Harvey. Due to kidney failure and no chance of recovery we had no option to have him put to sleep.

I've never had to do something so hard in my life and even now as Im typing this I'm having to bite my bottom lip.

He was only 5. We'd had him since he was a baby.

He'd been at the vets for a week as they did tests which came back on Friday with the bad news that thre was nothing they could do.

They told us he was more than likely born with defective kidneys and as he went through his last growth surge his kidneys couldnt cope with the sudden change and started to shut down. There was nothing they or we could do. He started to rapidly lose weight and before it got too painful for him we decided to call it a day - it hurt him to go to the toilet and he wasnt eating properly.

He was my wifes horse and she saw him every day pretty much without fail - she even took him with her when she went on secondment to Elgin (about 300 miles from where we live). I only saw him a couple of times a week (usually working on my car) but its really hit me more than I imagined. Shes owned horses all her life so has taken it really well however is still devistated and really misses him.

He was a lovely horse and was still sparky and alert right up to the end - he managed to eat a big bag of carrots before they led him away.

He was put to sleep at 10am this morning.

Thanks for taking the time to read this - my apologies for it being a crap post but a few of you may remember the occasional random pic or mad post I'd stick up mentioning Harvey in the past.

Heres a few pics of him -

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/kirkiephoto.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/h1.jpg

RIP Harvey horse - youre in the big field in the sky now...

Ade

Dar
20-11-06, 10:20 PM
Awww Ade. I don't know what to say, other than he looked like a fantastic horse. They are magnificent creatures!

I wish you and your wife all the strength in the world dealing with your sad loss.

nov4801
20-11-06, 10:24 PM
rip harvey the horse

puss puss
20-11-06, 11:18 PM
hard times dude, i hope he will never be forgotten :D

just think he is eatin all that lush grass in the sky now :D

Ben
20-11-06, 11:19 PM
Does look like a lovely horse, always hard with Pets, you dont realise how attached we get to them

RIP

Stanley
20-11-06, 11:44 PM
Bought a lump to my throat reading that.

Having a hard time of it myself.

I know i have never seen/met Harvey so it may seem wierd having strangers saying RIP etc but i do genuinely feel yours, and youre wifes pain.

Stick in mate!:thumb:

Martin
21-11-06, 12:23 AM
mate i ****ng love horses wel al wildlife for that matter i kno how hard it is looseing a pet..

we'l be saying by to my staffy soon( i no is rong to think itbut i can see i his eyes keeps having bads days)

he's 13 and ive had him since hewas 4weeks old and you could of lot him in thepalm of my hand..

i feel for you ade & the wife...

Martin

Mr_C
21-11-06, 12:41 AM
sorry to hear this pal, my staffy is 14/15 i'm not exactly sure which but my mums fiance had him since a pup and i've lived with him (my dog and mums fiance) for nearly 9 years!! and I hate to say it but times running out :( I had a staffy before this and she was about 13 when she past and I had her since she was about 3 or 4, it's true you just get attached as they are family mate.

Matt2107
21-11-06, 09:39 AM
Sorry to hear that Ade.
Pets are really one of the family...

Lee
21-11-06, 10:54 AM
Bless him. At least hes no longer uncomfortable.

Biting my bottom lip too now.

Alex.
22-11-06, 06:44 AM
I know all too well about losing pets, as sad as Jack thinks I am. There are certain animals you do get attatched to on the farm. And it's awful when they have to be put down. :(

wisewood
22-11-06, 08:14 AM
Awesome looking horse... i'm not a horse fan myself, they're too big & strong.. anything that could trample you to death simply shouldnt be a pet if you ask me.

Sorry for your loss though mate, must be hard - i know people who've had horses and they take up a big chunk of your life.

LEWI007
22-11-06, 08:22 AM
sorry about your horse

Novadex
22-11-06, 09:50 AM
I know how you feal Ade, a little while ago we had to put our cat to sleep who was 23 (witch is older then me)! You can become more attached then you realise with animals. all the best mate.

Bouch
22-11-06, 09:05 PM
Keep smiling chaps.

RIP big guy!

ade
23-11-06, 04:07 PM
cheers for the comments people. Very much appreciated.