PDA

View Full Version : Good or bad deal??

Markyc
20-11-06, 07:17 PM
right was meaning to put this on when i first got them but never got roundto it. Saw on ebay and ended up payin ?290 aint got any pictures of the car jst one of the engine but the car was a state (prob used for the field lol) and i had to drive to Sropshire (like 4hrs there n 4hrs bk from where i live ?55 petrol but a trip with the girl friend lets say we had a few quicky breaks ;) ;) lol lol ) but what i got was

Twin 40's (dellotores) or something like that
Inlet manifold
4-1 exhaust (sold ?90)
Strut brace
High lift cam (piper fastroad/rally well dats what he said)
Oil cooler
ATE 288 or 286 brakes (don't fit under standard nova alloys)
Side exit exhaust (jst a straight pipe from the bottom of the 4 branch lol lol )

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/markyc66/c1_1_b.jpg

umm yer thinks thats all i got not bad wouldn't u say??

Philsutton
20-11-06, 07:18 PM
the brakes will probably be 256mm 2lt ones

Markyc
20-11-06, 07:22 PM
yer there the ones he said they were 2lt alot better that the standards thats all i care!!

Adam
20-11-06, 07:23 PM
Seems a great price.

T40 carbs alone are going for ?250, with no inlet etc.

Stanley
20-11-06, 07:25 PM
Yeh looks like a cracking deal!

whats the cooler/radiator to the left of the picture (right of the car its self)

Jack
20-11-06, 07:27 PM
Oil cooler

Adam
20-11-06, 07:27 PM
Oil cooler..

Not much use sat there tho, unless it has the drivers headlight removed,Lol.

Markyc
20-11-06, 07:28 PM
Yeh looks like a cracking deal!

whats the cooler/radiator to the left of the picture (right of the car its self)

its the oil cooler bit of an odd place to put it but hey it wasn'y my car n yer the t40's might be coming up for sale in a few weeks prob afta x-mas as im goin xe so no need for them they are bein rebuilt at the mo and will come with the inlet ant a alternator lowering bracket

Stanley
20-11-06, 07:31 PM
Oil cooler..

Not much use sat there tho, unless it has the drivers headlight removed,Lol.

Is this common practice on a carb'd engine??

im confused!?

stuartp
20-11-06, 07:33 PM
Bargin!! sell me the oil cooler set-up my mate needs one!!

stuartp
20-11-06, 07:35 PM
it aids cooling for the oil because the engine revs higher the oil gets hotter...

Markyc
20-11-06, 07:35 PM
well where its sitting it wouldn't get cold air forced onto it so the oil doesn't get colloer if the headligbt was removed it would work because the cold air is bein forced onto it the best place for them is either right underneath a bonnett vent or in the front bumper where an intercooler goes

Adam
20-11-06, 07:53 PM
A oil cooler aint really needed on any nova engine tbh.

Unless you have a high spec xe/let etc.

Stuart
20-11-06, 07:54 PM
people seem to want oil coolers as it makes the spec sheet look funky... with the ammount of potential damage one can do to an engine that dosent need it you might aswell put a handfull of sand in the oil filler cap....

H15 NVA
20-11-06, 08:00 PM
why can it do damage? ive got one purely as was easier to jus fit it with the engine than remove it at the time, but i always warm the engine befor i give it some beans, i drive below 3k rpm til its warmed

Adam
20-11-06, 08:05 PM
Because oil works best at a certain operating temperature.

Cooling your oil will leave it below its operating temperature, so the engine wont be protected as well leading to wear etc as your oil will stay near its cold viscosity level.

There only needed on high revving track cars etc. Most/All road cars are fine without.

Markyc
20-11-06, 08:06 PM
i've never put it on mine still sitting in the garage if i can't use it on the xe iy willl also go up for sale

Shaun_O'Donnell
20-11-06, 08:07 PM
And there's the extra downside of having the oil pump struggle to maintain a decent level of oil pressure due the extra plumbing.

Adam
20-11-06, 08:07 PM
Some XE's had them as std.

Shaun_O'Donnell
20-11-06, 08:09 PM
Why only some?

H15 NVA
20-11-06, 08:09 PM
yeah thats why mine is still there it was on the cali i raped! silly question but it was a 4wd would the transfer box use oil from the engine for cooling? if so that might be reason for cooler??

Stuart
20-11-06, 08:10 PM
basically an oil cooler is only needed when oil temperature is likely to go over 110degrees, and its then controlled with an oilistat (like a thermostat).... so if you oil never gets to that temp the cooler wont be used... therefore a waste of space... or no oilistat and you over cool the oil mmm bye bye crank lol.

some XE's had them depending on application.. ie in a big ole car thats likely to have been used for towing etc then one would ahve been fitted..

if your having genuine oil temp issues then change the oil spec first, then think about an oil cooler

H15 NVA
20-11-06, 08:13 PM
so you rekon its not needed on my lump? xe with re map etc runnin 175bhp?
nova is fully stripped out.

Shaun_O'Donnell
20-11-06, 08:15 PM
I had an Astra GTE 16v and a Calibra 4x4 turbo, neither of these had oil coolers.

Stuart
20-11-06, 08:16 PM
stick a temperature probe in and see (when fully screwing it into the floor) what the temperature gets to lol

but stripping out defiantely makes the oil run cooler ;) lol

look your call at the end of the day.. i dont care if you break your engine or not..

H15 NVA
20-11-06, 08:21 PM
some XE's had them depending on application.. ie in a big ole car thats likely to have been used for towing etc then one would ahve been fitted..

so thats why i mentioned about the car being stripped out it affects the weight you arrogant cock.

Stuart
20-11-06, 08:22 PM
chilllllllllllll :p

Jack
20-11-06, 08:23 PM
would the transfer box use oil from the engine for cooling?
Transfer box has its own separate oil, well it does on mine anyway.

H15 NVA
20-11-06, 08:27 PM
ok just remembered oil pipes comming offof it, prob uses gearbox oil?
ive got a 5spd f20 with trans box ?200 if ya know anyone?