PDA

View Full Version : not sure what the problem is??

Martferguson
20-11-06, 12:52 PM
ok,so its happened twice in a month now and its pretty annoying.

basically i drive and park up, when i return to my car to start it up it doesn't work.its as though the battery is dead or something.

i work at halfords and i tested the battery on our battery tester and its fine. supposed to give out 370 volts and gave out 399 on the test so its well charged up!!

this proves that both the battery and the alternator are fine.

i drove to waterlooville (portsmouth) from southampton and back to pick up a fine set of vauxhall cesaro alloys. droppedthem home and went to pick my girlfriend up from her work place.

she came out, car didn't start!! all ignition lights go out when i turn the key, plus the clock on my cd player has reset to --:--!!!

this to me shows that the battery is cutting out or something like that. i can hear a clicking noise like a relay when the key turns to turn on the car. also the starter motor will turn once and stop and then car is dead?? this i a problem i know, anyone got any ideas?

anything would be helpful.

Cheers.

Mart.

Matt2107
20-11-06, 12:54 PM
Dodgy Earth?

Jack
20-11-06, 01:13 PM
Check your relays as well - Alex's polo did exactly the same thing, turned out she had a duff relay and the battery negative lead was crap. Replaced the relay and the lead, car was happy again.

Adam
20-11-06, 03:17 PM
Sounds like the starter is getting the jammed.

The click you here is the Solenoid moving into position.

SRI crazy
21-11-06, 07:36 PM
does the car start eventually? it culd b a bad connection at the starter, a bad earth or a bad connection at the ignition barrel

ad4m
21-11-06, 11:12 PM
u have a bad earth check them