PDA

View Full Version : another quick question about paint

LUV2XLR8
18-11-06, 03:35 PM
:confused: i have 1 ltr of paint, how much thinners and hardener do i mix with it?
thanks jim

Rexy
18-11-06, 04:04 PM
what kinda of paint?

If its 2k its 2:1:10% thinners

So thats 2 parts paint to 1 part activator to 10% thinners

Base coats are usually 1:1

Clear coat is 2:1:10% again

Im not sure on waterbased paints as ive not used them as yet.

Oh and if it is 2k DG wear a decent mask

LUV2XLR8
18-11-06, 04:06 PM
i think its 2 pack? :S thats what the fella said! like a gloss sort of finnish

Rexy
18-11-06, 06:33 PM
Yeah it will be 2k DG "direct Gloss"

I take it your not a sprayer if your asking how to mix the paint, Do a few practice sprays first.

If your spraying outside its gona be cold now, so Give it a light coat at first, leave that 10 - 15 mins, a second Heavier coat leave for about 15 mins and then a final coat. Depending on the temp if its really cold, add a little more Activator and less Thinners but not too much activator or it will orange peel like crazy and not flow out nicely.

I usually use a cup which is 600ml - 300ml Paint upto 450 activator and then 500/550ml with thinners. I use this at work a fair bit and the paint flows pretty nice and covers well. If you can, get fast activator as it goes off quicker and your less likly to run the paint. If your in a garage, get a little heater near the job a few hours before you spray ;) AND WEAR A MASK :thumb:

lee 16v
18-11-06, 06:35 PM
what kinda of paint?

If its 2k its 2:1:10% thinners

So thats 2 parts paint to 1 part activator to 10% thinners

Base coats are usually 1:1

Clear coat is 2:1:10% again

Im not sure on waterbased paints as ive not used them as yet.

Oh and if it is 2k DG wear a decent mask

this is right some of the time but there dif
you neet to know what make of paint it is as well
im a painter and are 2k is 3-1-0.6

Adam
18-11-06, 06:52 PM
i think its 2 pack? :S thats what the fella said! like a gloss sort of finnish I hope you've got the proper airfed mask/suit to spray 2pak, else you might die from the fumes :eek: Lol

lee coley
18-11-06, 10:17 PM
all depends on what sort of paint it is

MS medium solid
HS high solid
EHS extra high solid
EHS+ extra high solid plus

more than likely it will be MS but could be HS, All makes of paint will be different mixing ratios,