PDA

View Full Version : Novas = power

Jack
16-11-06, 06:34 PM
Just been looking for information on putting an XE in a Nova (:D) and stumbled across the Topbuzz (http://www.topbuzz.co.uk/mods/2Lconversion/2Lconversion.htm) guide, which offers these words of wisdom:

One point to note, the BHP figures are quoted by the original car, i.e. a Calibra with a C20XE is 150BHP as standard. Now if you put that into a light chassis, i.e. the Nova, the BHP will be much higher.
Wow, put an engine in a Nova and its output magically goes up! lol

Lee
16-11-06, 06:37 PM
yep, its true!

It also goes faster if you fold down the rear seats!

Stuart
16-11-06, 06:41 PM
and crack one off while thinking of lee

Lee
16-11-06, 06:43 PM
and crack one off while thinking of lee

I cant help it if you find me attractive :D

Stuart
16-11-06, 06:49 PM
i dont find you attractive... its just confirmation that im a sick sick person

Philsutton
16-11-06, 07:25 PM
right then looks like im folding down my rear seats so i get that bit extra top end

Lee
16-11-06, 07:26 PM
right then looks like im folding down my rear seats so i get that bit extra top end

Phil... Seriously, dont be stupid........................

........ you dont have any rear seats lol

dannyb
16-11-06, 07:27 PM
If you put the sunroof up, it gives extra downforce according to a Corsa C driver.

Lee
16-11-06, 07:28 PM
That ones going on my list lol

Philsutton
16-11-06, 07:29 PM
doesnt matter if they are in the car or not, if i fold them down whilst they are in the bin then it will slow down the dustbin lorry i will be trying to smoke off at the lights. Massive respeck

Lee
16-11-06, 07:32 PM
lol. ok, so far entries for the NL tuning guide are as follows...

Insert any engine into a smaller chassis to give more BHP
Fold down rear seats to lighten car and improve centre of gravity
Open sunroof for added downforce
'Tune the dizzy cap innit' (thanks to gaskell for that one lol)

Need more for a proper bo tuning guide!

philly
16-11-06, 07:37 PM
lol. ok, so far entries for the NL tuning guide are as follows...

Need more for a proper bo tuning guide innit!

quality!!

what about bigger wheels make you go faster!?
halfords exhausts adds15-20 bhp
sticking on a k&n will make you 1 litre sound like a V6 lol

Philsutton
16-11-06, 07:42 PM
yeah thats correct, big wheels add mph. Yes you heard me right it increases mph, especially when mixed with a stupidly wide box. It doesnt matter if your 45bhp cant get it to 240mph but the ratios are there so you can now tell your mates that your nova will break mach 1.

Jack
16-11-06, 07:44 PM
Ebay 20bhp power chip!

What about that LET engine that was posted up aaages ago... looked like the ducting from the turbo was going through the cabin blower lol

Phil, you should reinstall your rear seats so you can lay them flat and thus go faster. The add 500kgs of subs and amps, bo

Lee
16-11-06, 07:46 PM
ebay chips need to have a mention as well obviously! They add AT LEAST 20bhp.

I nearly forgot this one...

'to aid cold starts, direct the heater blower onto the carb which will blow warm air into the engine. You can then set it to blow cold and it will act as a small supercharger!

Philsutton
16-11-06, 07:54 PM
'to aid cold starts, direct the heater blower onto the carb which will blow warm air into the engine. You can then set it to blow cold and it will act as a small supercharger!

lmfao where did you get that nugget of information from?

Also we are forgetting the electric super chargers that when installed correct can help a 1lt nova rip the tarmac straight off the road. A good result if your a pikey as you later sel it onto a old lady for a 4 figure sum.

Well if i was to fit the subs and aimed they backwards the air movement from them would create a shock wave from which i surf on right up to speed where i might accidently go into orbit with the space station.

Lee
16-11-06, 08:09 PM
lmfao where did you get that nugget of information from?

it was on here about a year ago. The guy was looney tunes! He was convinced it worked! Even me trying to explain that, even if the engine was warm when he started it from cold (which is impossible fpmsl) all the heat from the blowers comes from the matrix which is INSIDE the car! He still wasnt having it!!

The sub idea is cool, extra exhaust tips could possibly have the same ram air effect.

Dar
16-11-06, 08:29 PM
I always fold my wing mirrors in when going for a top speed run!:thumb: (Reduces drag) Not on the Nova though because they don't fold.
Also you can put weights in the boot to give you a more even weight distribution. Put enough weight in and you can achieve 50/50 weight distribution and eveyone knows that cars with 50/50 weight distribution handle better.

puss puss
16-11-06, 08:32 PM
pull down ur aieral for ya stero reduces drag...

go with no bonnent reduces weight increases flow to air filter:D

Philsutton
16-11-06, 08:34 PM
ah but it will increase drag by quite a bit with no bonnet on

Lee
16-11-06, 08:41 PM
Ok, so far we have...

'Tune the dizzy cap innit' (thanks to gaskell for that one lol)

Put bigger wheels on to give higher top end speed

Triple pipe backbox and KnN to give 15bhp

Ebay power chip. Adds 20bhp (added to backbox and KnN.. Thats 35bhp.. More than Throttlebodies!!!

To aid cold starts, direct the heater blower onto the carb which will blow warm air into the engine. You can then set it to blow cold and it will act as a small supercharger!

Fit fans into inlet to create serious forced induction

Place subwoffers facing backwards to give thrust (Hip Hop gives most BHP)

Fold wing mirrors back and retract aerials for less drag

Add ballast to give 50/50 weight distribution, which as we all know, is faster!

Remove bonnet to feed KnN

Ive already decided im going to type this up and send it to Max power lol

Philsutton
16-11-06, 08:48 PM
yeah but the reply will be "nah we iz already done all datz innit"

Jack
16-11-06, 09:12 PM
Max power stickers!

Respray in black gives good gains - I jokingly said to a mate many years ago that "red cars go faster"; except he took it seriously and then started going into how darker colour paints will absorb more heat so the air around the car gets hotter and thus flows more freely over the car, producing less drag and a more aerodynamic car?! lol

bump
17-11-06, 11:28 AM
Respray in black gives good gains - I jokingly said to a mate many years ago that "red cars go faster"; except he took it seriously and then started going into how darker colour paints will absorb more heat so the air around the car gets hotter and thus flows more freely over the car, producing less drag and a more aerodynamic car?! lol

In some weird way it probably works but is virtually unmesurable (sp?), a little like oxygen free copper speaker cable or platinum interconnects.

wisewood
17-11-06, 11:44 AM
i hope you're either going to get this properly endorsed by kev, or put the word unofficial before novaload in the title lol

If its top speed you want, throw your alloys away, bin the 195 width tyres, and put the standard items back on again - they're much narrower, and thus create less drag.

edens-xe
17-11-06, 01:27 PM
get some go faster tribal stickers for your car and then gaffa tape every crack on it for less drag!!! also neons are brilliant they dazzle other racers lol!!!!

Lee
17-11-06, 07:43 PM
i hope you're either going to get this properly endorsed by kev, or put the word unofficial before novaload in the title lol

If its top speed you want, throw your alloys away, bin the 195 width tyres, and put the standard items back on again - they're much narrower, and thus create less drag.

Im sure kev will be up for it, it will at least answer half the stoopid questions that pop up on here lol

vallanc3
17-11-06, 07:48 PM
dished wheels will catch air in the dish and make the car slower....thats what i got told when i surgested my friend euro his polo

coochiSR
17-11-06, 08:31 PM
'A Whale Tail adds like 10bhp bruv' so i was told??? and bucket seats like improve the acceleration, innit!!! lol

ah but it will increase drag by quite a bit with no bonnet on Tried it then Phil lol

Dan

dannyb
18-11-06, 11:19 AM

Like bump says, its probably unmeasurable, but interesting quasi-science none the less. PPC claim that Air China have left their jumbo jets in primer as it saves around 300kg in weight unpainted and is more aerodynamic due to the primer creating micro pockets of air in the surface of the plane. This is the same as a golf ball being more aerodynamic and stable due to the little dents all around it, or a shark being more aquadynamic [possibly a made up word but it certainly isn't aeroynamic]. This primer effect only works at 400/500mph plus though so wouldnt affect a car!!

1 way for uz 2 decreas da drag iz 2 pump up da tyrez to 45 psi, then da car will handle sick yo cos its like stiffer shockz an be less drag.

Ste L
18-11-06, 03:21 PM
take windows are and take boot off, the air can flow though the car then lol

Philsutton
18-11-06, 07:49 PM
1 way for uz 2 decreas da drag iz 2 pump up da tyrez to 45 psi, then da car will handle sick yo cos its like stiffer shockz an be less drag.

Yo's can do a sick wheel spin like datz as well

Lee
18-11-06, 08:12 PM
Yo's can do a sick wheel spin like datz as well

yeah, an yo get a rippin bang noise wen teh tire popz from da heat innit!

Philsutton
18-11-06, 08:18 PM
yeah den evry1 hit da deck cos dey dink dat sum yardies be shooting up dat place

hendrix
18-11-06, 09:15 PM
look lads, you all know that adding led washer jets, them alloy look wiper deflector things and a 7" lax pooer sunstrip add like 100bhp ;) lol
and dont forget the obligatory 14 year old cider drinking chav girl in the front seat :roll: lol lol

lee 16v
19-11-06, 09:35 AM
my mate had a swift and he told us the "gti" cuts in at 3gran lol

dannyb
19-11-06, 12:08 PM
I don't know when the 'Merit' cuts in on my 1.2 as it doesn't have a rev counter.

Lee
19-11-06, 05:26 PM
my mate had a swift and he told us the "gti" cuts in at 3gran lol

I just spat my tea all over the screen lol lol lol

Philsutton
20-11-06, 01:06 AM
lmfao, im going to go down to tesco just so i can use that line

ste porter
20-11-06, 11:17 AM
last time i took the 2.0l to the pod i ran without a bonnet but that was because of heating problems plus every run i did it decided to spit the fan belt of the pain in the **** because it had the wrong belt on the only one i could get at 7 30 on a saturday night before we went was slightly to long

what about the 40% increase in down force you get from dtm corner splitters

the extra brake cooling from spinning wheel trims

the handling potential of 8 bags of cement in your boot to lower it instead of coilovers

oh and dont forget sitting forward head down eating the steering wheel will alow up to 50 mph better top speed due to reduced drag

also please remember rage back boxes only add the stated 600bhp increase when fitted to standard 1.1 4x4 106 and saxos with no other mods and even then the driver needs to wear a cap to free up its full potential

Mike.
20-11-06, 11:32 AM
look lads, you all know that adding led washer jets, them alloy look wiper deflector things and a 7" lax pooer sunstrip add like 100bhp ;) lol
and dont forget the obligatory 14 year old cider drinking chav girl in the front seat :roll: lol lol

lmao @ andy

and dar nova mirrors do fold in but thats when they break, so no mirrors would be better than folded ones. which means even less drag

dannyb
20-11-06, 06:54 PM
http://www.vauxhall-accessories.com/images/super/6003large.gif
do these reduce drag lol?!

Philsutton
20-11-06, 07:04 PM
depends what way the design is facing really lol

Spudly
21-11-06, 01:40 AM
I cant actually believe that "go faster stripes" have been neglected from the list so far, dey is proper bo! lmao!!!

Jack
21-11-06, 08:52 AM
Evo and E-tech style spoilers on fwd cars make yo ryde go well fast... Especially if you tilt them the wrong way so they create lift lol (yes, have seen it done!)

I've actually overheard a chav looking at my car on the CCUK stand of a local show say that it was faster than the other celicas there because it had the high rise spoiler. Bo!