PDA

View Full Version : Netgear Router ... internal pics & dimensions wanted

wisewood
16-11-06, 11:56 AM
I've got a netgear router at home, and have had an idea of something i want to do with it ... however, this will require taking the casing off it etc.

Has anyone got, by any remote chance, any pics of the internals of a netgear wireless router (white one, not silver) and happen to know the dimensions of the internal components etc.

I intend, if it will fit, to get rid of the casing and fit it inside something else :thumb:

Welsh Dan
16-11-06, 11:58 AM
There's quite a few white ones lol. What do you want to fit it in?

Matt2107
16-11-06, 12:01 PM
Toaster?

Jack
16-11-06, 12:03 PM
Wisewood's becoming a Borg!! lol

wisewood
16-11-06, 12:04 PM
yeah there's quite a few white ones, but they're all in the same case, so internals are probably the same size too.

DG834G ( i think ) is the one that i have. might be the GT. i get mixed up, we have one at home and the other we have where i work.

What it's be fitted into is a secret :D

1. Don't want anyone else going off and doing it before I get a chance to have a go at it.
2. Haven't decided properly yet, its either going in something in the living room, or something in the office. Completely different ideas.

pmsl wireless toaster/router. Send a signal from the network to the toaster. Nice idea.

Yes, i have become disconnected from The Hive and need the antenna to pick up a signal.

Found a faulty, non adsl modem model on ebay ... 5 days left on it, but it's really cheap, so will keep an eye on it and if I can get it cheap enough, will strip that and see if i can make it do what i want it to do. I'm pretty sure it will fit, with the casing it is only slightly too big, just need to be certain what's going on internally first - dont want to take my attractive router to pieces find it doesnt fit where i want it, and then have to break something to put it back together lol

Matt2107
16-11-06, 12:23 PM
This is a good opportunity to waste an afternoon with random guesses.

A biscuit tin?

wisewood
16-11-06, 12:46 PM
why would i keep the biscuit tin in my living room, or in my office? lol

No - it's another "technology" item, which i do believe will have sifficient space inside to comfortably house the board for the router, and the front and rear should be easy to modify to incorporate the additional lights & sockets etc.

Matt2107
16-11-06, 01:05 PM
why would i keep the biscuit tin in my living room, or in my office? lol

No - it's another "technology" item, which i do believe will have sifficient space inside to comfortably house the board for the router, and the front and rear should be easy to modify to incorporate the additional lights & sockets etc.

For emergency biscuit racing of course!

I think I've guessed it but I'll use psychic thought projection from my third eye (translate as pm) to send you my guess.

Jack
16-11-06, 01:06 PM
You might like biscuits a lot so want to have them on hand wherever you are? A tin in every room! Wifi connection between them! Automaticlly go online and re-order when biscuits are low!!

Hmm, think I might buy some biscuit tins and routers when I get home LOL lol

Matt2107
16-11-06, 01:08 PM
Damnit... either my psychic powers are drained or your pm box is full lol

Matt2107
16-11-06, 01:09 PM
Hmm, think I might buy some biscuit tins and routers when I get home LOL lol

I see another experiment here.. which biscuit is more suitable for turning a router on during a biscuit rally.

wisewood
16-11-06, 01:51 PM
I've emptied my mail sack [insert your own joke here] so pm's will work now.

Nobody has guessed right yet ... it's also quite good this, because someone might come up with a better idea that the ones i've already had myself lol.

Something else i need to try and find out, is whether the power supply that comes with the router can be f*cked off in favour of an alternative. Can probably get an idea of that from the power supply itself though.

Jack
16-11-06, 02:06 PM
Wire it up to a VCR or DVD recorder - 24/7 pron videos!

Matt2107
16-11-06, 02:10 PM
Wire it up to a VCR or DVD recorder - 24/7 prom videos!

Dont really like classical music!

wisewood
16-11-06, 02:14 PM
just bought a dvd/hdd recorder. don't much fancy chopping chunks out of it just yet lol