PDA

View Full Version : XE without PAS

hendrix
15-11-06, 09:12 PM
Which XE's came without powersteering as I need to get a fan belt jobbie for the non PAS model as my XE is the PAS one and obv im removing this to fit into the nova.
Cheers

staggy_gsi
15-11-06, 09:32 PM
i have a feeling only some mk2 astra GTEs came with PAS, could be wrong though

R1CH
15-11-06, 09:52 PM
XE's use 2 belts, 1 for the alternator & 1 for the power steering, so just buy the alternator belt ... job done !!

Rich

Lee
15-11-06, 09:55 PM
No, the twin V pulley on PAS models seriously foul the chassis leg in Novas, He means that he wants to find a single V pulley from a non PAS model.

Astra MK2's didnt have them, can you not get one new from Vaux? I think Courtenay sold them as well at one point?

Chris
15-11-06, 10:01 PM
or just cut the other half of the pulley off with an angle grinder?

John
15-11-06, 11:09 PM
Have the p/s outer pulley machined off at a machine shop, as the pulley is rubber mounted and it needs to be done right. Had mine done a year back, still ok now.

craig0120
16-11-06, 07:31 AM
iv had to do this as mine hhad the serpentine type belt.
i just ordered a v alternator belt for c20xe from motor factors

Ste L
16-11-06, 10:44 AM
No, the twin V pulley on PAS models seriously foul the chassis leg in Novas, He means that he wants to find a single V pulley from a non PAS model.

i had the twin v pully one mine, and never used a single on, and it never catched the shell, it was close, but never touched, think i may of been lucky or something then

Jos
16-11-06, 10:52 AM
I believe only Astra MK2 Champ's had PAS

craig green
16-11-06, 02:19 PM
All mk2 Astra Valvers had PAS. Infact unless I'm mistaken, all cars with the XE had PAS. But Courtenay & Regal do single-V lightweight alloy pulleys (?120ish)

Lee
16-11-06, 05:43 PM
All mk2 Astra Valvers had PAS. Infact unless I'm mistaken, all cars with the XE had PAS. But Courtenay & Regal do single-V lightweight alloy pulleys (?120ish)

Nah, my pal had one without, but it was an early one so pass on wether most of them had it, youd know better than me :)

Philsutton
16-11-06, 07:45 PM
far as i know most had pas, anyway get the angle grinder out you girl.

hendrix
17-11-06, 09:48 AM
right managed to get engine removed etc yesterday.
The engine removed came out a late cavvy SRi and is a single pulley with one belt, however this also runs the powersteering (all off one belt that snakes around the bottom pulley, alternator and PAS pump as well as some sort of roller/tensioner)
The pump and tensioner thing have been removed now so all i need is a grooved belt that goes between bottom pulley and alternator (if there is such a thing!!)
Cheers

craig green
17-11-06, 12:35 PM
I would hazard a guess & say you need a regular alt belt for an XE & then sort out a alt tensioner.

Is your bottom pulley single V type?

hendrix
17-11-06, 12:57 PM
yea its the single pulley type mate.
thanks for the help :thumb:

loggyboy
17-11-06, 01:29 PM
My donor was an SRI cav 16v which had the poly/multi rib type belt which snaked around the bay and is very difficult to retain as its very wide caused huge problems with chassis leg and also u need to get a shorter pulley which is down to trial and error. ive only ever seen one XE which retained this type and it had a HUGE cut out in the chassis leg near the alternator.

I went on to the EPC and also in to Vaux parts where my mate worked and did lots of searching but could only find a twin V pulley for the MK2 astra GTE 16v (as some peeps have stated, ive never seen an Non PAS XE'd car from the factory)

I then got the 2nd V machined off (dont angle grind, as stated, theres a rubber insulator ring that needs to be carefully taken car of.)

you can see how close it is to the chassis:
http://www.loggyboy.com/images/nilly/Phase1/26CrankPulley640.jpg

The pulley cost me ?10 (2nd hand) and the machining cost ?10 too (cash job at local machine shop) so its easy.

I removed the multirib pulley from the nator and messed around with various pulleys i had off old 'nators. Found one and spaced as close to the body of the nator as poss so to give as much clearance as poss (without fouling the cam belt cover).

Then further problem then came from the fact the tension of the pulley on the cav was handled by the PAS pump and the alternator was non adjustable. The instant thought was to convert to an early XE setup but unfortunately the way the adjuster it bolts on inlet is different.

You can see the closeness of the nator pulley to the (unmodded) chassis leg and position of bolt hole on the inlet manifold:
http://www.loggyboy.com/images/nilly/Phase1/24Alternator640.jpg

Some further EPC investigation led me to a adjustment bracket costing about ?20 which was fitted to some XEs and allowed adjustment of the 'nator but bolted to the later inlet:

http://www.loggyboy.com/images/nilly/Phase1/AlternatorBracket.jpg

It was then down to some trial and error of drive belts (i think i use a 1.0 nova one in the end, IIRC its a 925 part no from halfords)

hendrix
17-11-06, 02:07 PM
cheers for that mate, ill have to take a look at you suggestions over the weekend and see if I can get the parts suggested