PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Coilovers

Jos
15-11-06, 03:54 PM
Hey, well it's about time I got some decent suspension.
Having never owned coilovers before :wtf: , can anyone point me in the right direction on which brand/model to choose.

Cheers :thumb:

Riggy
15-11-06, 04:55 PM
is this for your sri fella ?

mostly depends on how you want to do with the car

but most people go for avo's 500 ish new as they are a proper rear coilover unit , but idealy you should strenghen the rear turets and rear beam nounting points as they put more stress on them due to not having a seperate spring on the chassis leg

spax rsx kits are only about 250 new now from a lot of places , but these are just a 60 mm spring and damper set up at the back

if your goin for second hand items stay away from early avo's as they have probleams with the oil seals bursting , you can tell the differernce in them by the colour of the bushes , old ones are purple , new ones are red

mine are they old ones and i poped 2 of them , i had all 4 rebuilt to the new spec , which included new pistons , oil seals , spring platforms etc etc , and it cost me ?252

Iain
15-11-06, 05:51 PM
spax rsx kits are only about 250 new now from a lot of places , but these are just a 60 mm spring and damper set up at the back

?250? My searches have revealed them to be around ?450 :eek:

Ste L
15-11-06, 06:11 PM
get the spax kits for around 250-300 on ebay

Jos
15-11-06, 10:35 PM
Yes Riggy for my SRI :thumb:

So, late model AVO's or a Spax set up eh? Righto, I'll look into it!
Cheers lads :D

Chris
16-11-06, 02:36 PM
why do you actually want coilovers?

How about some Bilstein Cup's for the same money and they will out last and out perform the coilovers all day long.

Chris

craig green
16-11-06, 02:48 PM
Ive got AVO on mine, new so never driven them yet. I was tempted by GAZ but they would rather confuse you with a long application list + they make them to order. So I called up AVO & got them next day.

There are other cheapo Mickey Mouse offerings about at the moment. Ive not got any 1st hand experience of them but personally I'd stay well clear. Cheap suspension is a pet hate of mine.

cornish
16-11-06, 03:08 PM
LEDA's are expensive but well worth the money imo.

Dergnova
16-11-06, 04:27 PM
Alot of ppl use FK these days.....ment to be rather good?

Matt2107
16-11-06, 04:30 PM
Alot of ppl use FK these days.....ment to be rather good?

the cheapest option i think.

Stuart
16-11-06, 04:41 PM
as chris said. why do you think you want coilovers....... the advice can come after that...

craig green
16-11-06, 04:49 PM
the cheapest option i think.

Yeah thats right. I dont recall FK ever supplying any of the WRC teams with suspension. Or Pi for that matter.

I'd rather you nail my coffin shut than have awfull suspension on my Nova. lol

Jos
16-11-06, 11:38 PM
Why do I want coilovers?

I want a decent suspension setup basically ;) they needn't be coilovers, no. although, I've always heard that they were the best option. Fast Road use, and track days.

Chris
16-11-06, 11:57 PM
there is aset of bilstein cups on corsasport, 6 months old for ?250, you will be much better off with them

Jos
16-11-06, 11:59 PM
there is aset of bilstein cups on corsasport, 6 months old for ?250, you will be much better off with them

purely out of interest, what advantages/disadvantages do they have over coilsprings (apart from price...) Cheers Chris!:thumb:

Chris
17-11-06, 12:03 AM
not sure what you mean by coil springs?

All suspension has coil springs.

If you mean why are the billy cups better than coilovers? That all falls down to build quality and what you want out of them. The cups have been designed and developed in motorsport, they are the choice of most budget rally outfits, for their performance and reliability. Look at a picture of them and compare the size of the piston going into the strut to the size of a normal damper or the AVO/Gaz/Spaz/Koni etc.

The Cups are tried and tested and are still being used successfully in many disciplines of competition today.

Chris

Ben
17-11-06, 12:06 AM
Thats what i have :D

Jos
17-11-06, 12:09 AM
typo, I did mean coilovers, not coilsprings :roll:

Dergnova
17-11-06, 12:22 AM
Yeah thats right. I dont recall FK ever supplying any of the WRC teams with suspension. Or Pi for that matter.

I'd rather you nail my coffin shut than have awfull suspension on my Nova. lol

Very true....But i was just saying...i know of quite afew ppl using these...and say they are great...tho maybe not in novas that get dogged lol! Think i say them in Total Vauxhall for about 450 or so?How much ae Avos....we have Avos in our racing mini....defo are the biz!

Jos
17-11-06, 11:01 AM
around the 500 note mark, so for the extra ?50, I'd go for AVO's... if I decide on coilovers

decwasere
17-11-06, 12:37 PM
?250? My searches have revealed them to be around ?450 :eek:

I bought a brand new set off of another site for ?240, so it can be done.

Though, i've not fitted my Spax RSX's yet as the car is nowere near road worthy as of yet....
Anyone have any experiance with using these? Anything I should watch out for etc?

Riggy
17-11-06, 04:31 PM
rexy found that the rear end was a bit skity when he had them on anabella , but that was striped out and caged , and the rear tyres wernt to great

they seemed to be fine on fake anabella though lol but that was a saloon :thumb: