PDA

View Full Version : Heaters not working, airlock?

atokley
15-11-06, 02:13 AM
Hi,

I have a c20xe nova, the heaters were working fine on the car and one morning i noticed they stopped working (well only blow out cold air).

Is it possible i have a airlock in the heater matrix (cant think of any other explanations???) can anyone tell me how to bleed it?

Thanks

Andy

H15 NVA
15-11-06, 06:01 PM
mine did that, does the hot/cold adjust knob feel easier to turn? in passenger foot well behind centre consul there is a linkage that the knob attatchs to, mine had come undun so was stuck on cold, get under with a torch n turn knob from hot to cold repeatedly seeing whats moving/not moving.

atokley
15-11-06, 07:09 PM
mine did that, does the hot/cold adjust knob feel easier to turn? in passenger foot well behind centre consul there is a linkage that the knob attatchs to, mine had come undun so was stuck on cold, get under with a torch n turn knob from hot to cold repeatedly seeing whats moving/not moving.

unfortunately the mechanism is working fine, dont have a clue how to bleed this car tho as im used to jap crap lol

H15 NVA
15-11-06, 11:23 PM
think run it till hot with heater on n fan on 2, with expansion cap off??

chimp007_uk
15-11-06, 11:27 PM
my gte is exactly the same... it used to be hot, not that the weather is cold, they've stopped working....

chimp007_uk
12-12-06, 03:35 PM
anyone know the best way to get rid of air locks in the heaters?

Adam
12-12-06, 04:04 PM
Keep sqeezing the coolant hoses.
Take the expansion tank cap off, remove the temperature guage sender and let any air escape, once coolant starts to come out of the guage hole, screw the sender back in.

Like bleeding a radiator in your house..

diablo007
12-12-06, 07:06 PM
head gasket?

Matt Pickering
12-12-06, 08:27 PM
Try checking for an air lock if not it'll be the head gasket!!!

Take your car to an MOT test station and ask him to check it by putting the emmisions tester into your Header tank water and if carbon is present in your water then its your head gasket!!!

Bouch
12-12-06, 08:35 PM
anyone know the best way to get rid of air locks in the heaters?

Do it when the engine is warmish, so that the stat is open but not so hot that your creating more steam voids (bubbles) in the system.
Point the car up hill.
Put the internal heaters on flat out and on hot.(again, to reduce the chance of steam)
Link out the rad stat,so that the fan is running constantly.(as above)
Remove the header tank cap.
Fill the header tank to the brim.
Start the engine and let her tick over, but every now and then, rev the engine, as it takes the increased flow from the water pump to push out the air.
Hopefully after revving the engine, bubble should appear in the header tank.:thumb:

chimp007_uk
12-12-06, 08:44 PM
it's not eh head gasket, she never burns oil or water... i renewed the coolant a month or so ago, and nover been right since... now it's getting cold i fancied sorting it out...

"Link out the rad stat,so that the fan is running constantly"

what do you mean?

cheers
chris

Bouch
12-12-06, 08:52 PM
If you look at the right hand side or off side of the rad, you will see a electrical plug with two wires going into it. Remove the plug by lifting the flap and then pulling it out(that sounds saucy!!!!) and then link it out by putting a bit off wire between the two contacts in the plug.
The fan should then start.

chimp007_uk
12-12-06, 08:54 PM
i get you! do i don't i need to remove the temp sender on the head? as lltn said?

Bouch
12-12-06, 08:58 PM
Not as far as I know. All that does is send a signal to the temp gauge.

chimp007_uk
12-12-06, 08:59 PM
ok, i think he ment just to let the air out... i'll leave it in and give it a go. thanks bouch, will try in the morning :) fingers crossed.

Bouch
12-12-06, 09:04 PM
Dim probs, hope it works!!!

Bouch

Adam
13-12-06, 12:45 AM
You remove the temp sender to let air out when you fill up the coolant system.

I've never had a problem with air leaks after filling the system until coolant emerges from the temp sender hole.

Keep an eye on the coolant tank if you do the run with the cap off method, as it will overflow as the water boils, hence why it was suggested you bridge the rad fan permanently on.

chimp007_uk
13-12-06, 11:41 AM
i'll remember to remove the senger plug in future...

will try and bleed it today, and see how it goes

chimp007_uk
13-12-06, 12:44 PM
well, that done, oads of air came out... heaters are definately warmer, but not roasting, i've got to drive to cardiff today, so will see what their like later. i really can't see it being the head gasket... it never loses oil or water, and doesn't smoke... odd!