PDA

View Full Version : What is the ride like on SPAX?

Torroni
13-11-06, 02:26 PM
Just wanted to get some idea of the ride quality in Novas fitted with standard SPAX springs and shocks...?

My GTE is currently on -35mm SPAX springs but with the original shocks. The ride is appauling and even the smallest bump/hole in road feels like it's breaking the car, almost like I have no suspension!!

Any idea if the ride will improve if I get the matching SPAX shocks? Other solutions?

Adam
13-11-06, 04:51 PM
Uprated shocks will make the ride harder.

dannyb
13-11-06, 07:51 PM
You'll be feeling every bump in the road. Think to when you go down a badly surfaced road on standard suspension and its enough to make you think, "this is a bad road". You'll be thinking that all the time!! Are your standard shocks knackered hence the bumpy ride?
I'd gladly let you have a go in my Nova on an Apex kit (which is about the same as a Spax kit more or less) if you are around the West Sussex area to see if you like it?

staggy_gsi
13-11-06, 09:42 PM
mine has spax springs n shocks on it and its terrible lol. goes round corners well though!!

Timmy
13-11-06, 10:14 PM
koni!!??

Torroni
14-11-06, 12:46 PM
The ride is so hard it actually 'BANGS' right through the car when you hit a small pot-hole, drain or groove. All my passengers think im breaking the car!! Doesn't seem quite right even for a 'sports' suspension. I thought that the original shocks might be damaged or not working at their optimium due to the lower springs??

What do you reckon?

Iain
14-11-06, 12:57 PM
Yeah I'm running Spax -40mm VSX kit and it's very harsh. It does handle pretty well but you feel every little bump as previously said.

Torroni
14-11-06, 01:28 PM
Are there any springs/shocks that are a little softer but still allow me to keep the car lowered?

I'd rather not put back the original springs if possible!!

Nobby
14-11-06, 01:34 PM
to be fair in a lowered Nova you will never get a soft ride lol its like pissing in the wind!!

mikey14sr
14-11-06, 02:13 PM
Sounds like your origional dampers are knackered, get some dampers to match the springs. I run a -40 jamex kit on my sr and it rides very nicely.

Torroni
14-11-06, 03:11 PM
Sounds like your origional dampers are knackered, get some dampers to match the springs. I run a -40 jamex kit on my sr and it rides very nicely.

That sounds about right. I'd obviously expect a harder ride with a lowered sports suspension... but a shopping trolley would take the holes and bumps better than mine!!! :)

Might try getting the matching SPAX shocks, just hope they make an improvemnt and I don't just waste my money!

How could I tell if my originals are knackered?

mikey14sr
14-11-06, 03:17 PM
It'll feel like there's just a set of springs fitted, without dampers. If they've done over 60,000 miles they'll be past they're best anyway.