PDA

View Full Version : SR Running probs

Stoo
12-11-06, 11:31 PM
Right, first thing in a morning/or whenever it first gets started, it wont idle at all without a little bit of pressure on the accelerator!

When i drive away, it idles fine at junctions for a few minutes of the journey, then after about 5 mins, it starts to really struggle idling at junctions and often stalls. However soon after, its fine again, idles like a dream!!

I also noticed, when i put my foot down, sometimes it seems to have a bit of a power surge, like the throttle suddenly opens a bit more!

Any ideas?? Dirty carb?? Fuel filter??

Im used to an XEd nova so a carb is a completely new thing for me!!
Would changing to a Twin Choke (???) 32/34 carb make much of a difference??

Its currently running with standard carb, K&N pancake filter, GSi Exhaust manifold and down pipe and a complete Mongoose stainless system

All help much appreciated

novatracker
13-11-06, 12:05 AM
could be the auto choke sticking off.

the weber is a very good option had one on my old 13sr helped it pull right up to 7,000rpm nabother (didnt want to go any higher)
it uses more fuel though but gd upgrade all the same.

a 4branch will help a lot as well not just for the noise lol smoothed the power curve out on mine anyway aswell.

Riggy
13-11-06, 03:32 PM
yeah prob just the auto choke stu , they have a tendensy of ****ing up , just double check that its plugged in mate (black and yellow wire in front of carb)

also itruns of coolent temp so a good coolent flush may help

hendrix
13-11-06, 03:53 PM
lol ive had 5 carbs on chelles 1400SR and still have the same problem....just learnt to live with it lol lol.
I think its something to do with the auto choke. Mind you her engine is soooo frubed it could actually be anything at all lol
I dont think that yellow and black wire goes anywhere either.

Just a thought could be carb icing?? Try putting your stock dustbin air filter jobbie and see what happens.

Riggy
13-11-06, 04:33 PM
andy if you yellow and black isnt plugged in then just run a ig live to it ,a might help lol

SRI crazy
18-11-06, 08:53 PM
u culd jus take the auto choke off and play with the throttle until u get it goin in da mrnin and it shuld run ok

Stoo
18-11-06, 08:56 PM
Well after playing/looking i noticed a vac hose disconnected from the carb to the Vac advance on the Dizzy!

And that cured it, but sometimes it idles really low at around 6-700 RPM

Any ideas??

Adam
19-11-06, 12:20 AM
Turn the idle up?
Lol

Stoo
19-11-06, 09:33 AM
No cos it idles normally for abut 90% of the time then idles really low for some reason

lee 16v
19-11-06, 10:19 AM
try the vac advance on the dizzy, mine done that, i think you blow and suck on it and it should move inside if it dont its ****ed, there not that much new anyway and easy to change. might be wrong though but will take 2secs to check it

Stoo
19-11-06, 10:20 AM
the hose from the carb to the vac advance dissy was disconnected, and when i refitted it it was fine.

That was last week, and now the idle is low every now and again, down round 5-600RPM

No idea wat it is

lee 16v
19-11-06, 10:30 AM
might be the auto choke there ****ers as well, you can get a kit to make it man choke, think there about ?20 have you looked at the fuel filter, or even the k&n might be the prob now its geting cold out try a hot air feed.

Stoo
19-11-06, 10:42 AM
i had a hot air feed, removed it, ran better

K&N is clean

Dunno if it has a fuel filter, but that wouldnt affec t idle permanently

Auto choke is a huge probability!

Im thinking i may just fit a 1.6 head and T40s!

london_chris
20-11-06, 01:34 AM
my guess would be something to do with the head. my mate put a 1.6xr2i head on a 1.4si and has that problem. he has replaced idle control valves and hasnt fixed it so i doubt the carbs on the 1.4sr novas will do anything. and as for the power surge my mate has mental powerband. kicks in at about 2500 and revs to 7 and find the limiter but otherwise would keep going!

dannyb
20-11-06, 09:36 AM
My 1.2 (with Pierburg and manual choke) has been doing exactly the same, I had the timing and mixture set at the weekend and it still has been doing it. Im going to straight swap the carb for another, see if it makes a difference as apparently (according to the mechanic) they go porous...Ill let you know how it goes! If it still does it, Ill be looking for cracks in the inlet manifold and valves as these will expand when hot etc. So much for spending near enough ?50 on ignition components!!

Mike
20-11-06, 09:43 AM
Ive got a 2E3 auto choke fo sale ;) lol