PDA

View Full Version : cutting the slam panel

RobMarriott
10-11-06, 11:23 PM
right, don't take the p*ss too much...

just been looking through the projects section, and i notice most of the cars have the middle of the slam panel chopped out.

why?

sorry if its been asked before, I'm relatively new, sort of.

Ste L
10-11-06, 11:32 PM
its mainly the lads running c20let's gives better access to the mainfold and turbo, iirc

R1CH
11-11-06, 12:01 AM
What he said !!
Just a lot easier to get at the Turbo / Manifold / Rad / Intercooler ect ...

Rich

RobMarriott
11-11-06, 12:11 AM
aha, i see, makes sense i suppose.

does it need welding back in though? or can it be bolted?

R1CH
11-11-06, 12:27 AM
Mines just bolted in, reckon you could run it without one tho ... as long as you've got bonnet pins.

Rich

Lee
11-11-06, 11:05 AM
Yup, mainly the LET boys do it, i did it because when i was lifting out the old engine, my useless hoist wouldnt lift it high enough to clear it lol.

Its also good for a bit of weight saving right where you need to lose it too!

DIY*VALVER84
11-11-06, 07:10 PM
i chopped mine out because i went thru a period of having the engine out every weekend lol either for repairs or mods and its sooooo easier to take an xe out without having to first of all drop the engine then lift the shell over it all,this way it meant i could just take the weight with the crane lift it a touch then just pull her straight out. and when running the c20let you need every extra bit of space available.lol

novaboyopr
12-11-06, 12:33 AM
i cut mine out cos it gives a lot more room and its easyier to get the rad out.

stuartp
12-11-06, 10:51 AM
Are you let running bonnet pins only then??

ste porter
13-11-06, 01:11 AM
i cut mine so i could get the engine out alot easier plus so i could get to my manifold bots ect and its just bolted back in

craig green
13-11-06, 01:38 PM
Ive never cut mine out but have thought about it. We went through a phase of doing the head gasket on my 1600 T quite often (another story) & to get the manifold & turbo off was a total ballache. Had I had a removable fr panel the rad wouldve come out loads quicker & just been less greif.

Good idea if you can do it. Think you chop out the centre section & then weld some tabs into the underneath so you can bolt it back in place easily.