PDA

View Full Version : Side Exhaust Route Illegal?

beavy69
10-11-06, 11:42 AM
(Bearing in mind I have a 5 door)

Up through the floor somewhere behind the handbrake and out the bottom of the n.s (to keep well away from the fuel filler) rear door?

Any probs with that leaglly?

draper
10-11-06, 11:46 AM
not sure on legality but youd need loads of heat wrap lol

Lee
10-11-06, 03:03 PM
It probably wont pass as i remember hearing somewhere that single side exit exhausts have to exit on the drivers side, away from pedestrians. Do some research on it though, i could be wrong, as you often see exits on each side, such as Cobra replicas etc..

beavy69
11-11-06, 03:10 PM
You have a poiny there bout peds, drivers side no problem as looking at it, its not too near fuel in pipe.

Why heat wrap any more than normal though?

mowgli
11-11-06, 07:02 PM
apart from track use, where for packaging reasons due to running so low, why would you want to run a side pipe?
Apart from that, the main issue would be 'sharp edges'. If a pedestrian could get cut by it, then it is illegal. the same rule applies to all road vehicles, lorries, buses, tractors & they have exhausts in all sorts of weird places

beavy69
12-11-06, 04:22 PM
Just for the crack, the buzz, the sheer fcuk offness of it!

But also because mine atm, vibrates on the spare wheel dish and handbrake cable and in sorting that (as I have tried every adjustment under the sun - my manifold pushes the whol lot back a bit and I have an extra join to worry about also) I may as well have somthing different and have it out the rear door, seeing as I have a rear door. Plus i'm interested to see if flames really will come out, running carbs as I am.

mowgli
12-11-06, 08:07 PM
What exhaust are you using?
Have you thought of putting new engine mounts on it?
You would have terrible heat transfer problems.

beavy69
12-11-06, 08:21 PM
What do you mean by heat transfer problems? Would the pipe get really hot?

Blow putting new engine mounts on; way too much messing.

Its a standard type 4 into 1, standard pipe from that, the centre scielencer is an aftermarket one that didn't fit properly (the angles are slightly different) and I had bought two as I was trying to make a straight through job without welding hence the extra join. Back box is a non branded ebay job (?23 lol) but sounds great.

Stuart
12-11-06, 08:32 PM
so youd go to the effort of a side exit, but wouldnt do engine mounts.... you are a numpty!!!!!

are the rear doors used? if so then you cant/shouldnt have a side exit infront of them.

beavy69
12-11-06, 11:04 PM
C'mon Stu you already know I am a numpty.

Find/make the right link pipe, make two holes and be sure to have mounting options for the pipe. Done, but then that probably is as much work, its just remounting an engine seems a bit scary. Plus if I am to be pedantic, we want to move weight back not forward with our little FWD machines.

The car is stripped (aside from the speakers which are essential :) and I already have the battery in the back:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d149/beavy69/P1030759.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d149/beavy69/P1030746.jpg

but bearing in mind that I do like to carry stuff now and then, and my boot no longer opens for my spoiler covering the hinge, I may therefore want to keep both doors lol - will have to think about that too.