PDA

View Full Version : Classic Policies

Jack
10-11-06, 11:23 AM
Few questions about classic insurance...

1. What are the conditions for a car to be considered for classic insurance? Age, type etc

2. Am I right in thinking a classic policy wouldn't use any NCB you had, even if you weren't using it on another car?

3. Are there any restrictions on use - e.g. mileage, social & domestic use only, level of cover, primary car, etc?

4. What are the policies like for covering mods? Engine conversions etc, i.e. does a "classic" car have to retain a certain element of standard-ness?

Basically trying to find out if a modified Nova would qualify. It'd be a second car, so mileage and usage wouldn't be too much of an issue.

Kinky Monza
11-11-06, 02:11 PM
I'll let you know when i go for a quote on my Monza and Nova, but iirc classics have to be 20 or older

mini_kris
11-11-06, 02:23 PM
20 years or older, i was with footman james you dotn use nor build up NCB, there is NO COMMERCIAL USE, basically i couldnt insure my 1974 pannel van as a classic cos it was a van not a camper other that that it was all good, you take out limited milage policy's and call them if you go over, i took 4500 mile hit 5000 went oops and raised it to 7k for 20odd quid. as towards engine mods i didnt tell them about my moggy havign a diffrent engien but when i they asked for engine cc i just said what it was they never asked anything else really about it, they asked about wheels i said yes it has alloys they asked if they were worth more than ?200 i answered no so didnt effect my policy, doesnt it have a spoiler/... no blah blah blah job done! ?500 tpft for a 160bhp 1.6l fiat twincam engine morris minor with mk2 scort back axle, lsd, marina brakes and cobra slot mags, GOD I WAS HAPPY At 17 lol, suffice to say it didint last long as it ate head gaskets

Kinky Monza
11-11-06, 03:36 PM
You should try getting a quote for a Monza!! i've had companies refuse to give me a classic policy because i want both cars insuring!!! ****ing random **** that was pmsl

mini_kris
11-11-06, 06:44 PM
yeah you will find you can only have a single vehicle on a policy with a company if you have had a previous policy with them they can some times make exceptions because they want to keep you as a customer

BazW
11-11-06, 06:51 PM
my astra's on classic insurance and that's a 1990 H reg. i think it's 16 + with HIC