PDA

View Full Version : Global Warming

hendrix
09-11-06, 09:23 AM
Whats your stand on it?? Personally I think its a load of tosh, yes the planet is getting hotter but it was always going to. The average temp of the earth used to be much hotter than this and also much colder. Eventually it will cool off again and we will go into another iceage.
what do you think?

Jack
09-11-06, 09:28 AM
Yup, the eath goes through a cycle of warming up and cooling down. What amuses me though is all the muppets thinking we'll get hotter here; no, the gulf stream will be cut off and London will end up like Moscow! (well not quite that bad, but colder than we are now lol)

hendrix
09-11-06, 09:57 AM
its all spin by the major governments of the world to increase revenue (YET AGAIN) by generally scaremongering and then taxing the fcuk out of any one who uses any sort of fuel (so basically everyone) because its 'damaging' the environment. Yes i agree if its someone dumping toxic waste or polluting rivers but this CO2 emissions stuff is just nonsense. iirc there are about 200 million tonnes of co2 each year and only something like 6 million are produced by man

Philsutton
09-11-06, 10:03 AM
ive said my thoughts on the subject numberous times before. I will write it all out again when i can be ****d lol. To cut a long story short we are being taxed on something that we as a species has no control over and probably never will.

Matt2107
09-11-06, 10:20 AM
It's inevitable that at some point nature will wipe us out!

craig green
09-11-06, 10:31 AM
Its inevitable that I will die before caring tbh. I dont actively pollute in any way, but I also cant be bothered to listen to the government on issues they half heartedly endorse themselves. Sweden & Denmark etc have been recycling stuff for over 10yrs & yet my local council have just started.

We live in a retarded nation & I firmly beleive the UK will be a 3rd world country in 20 to 30 yrs. All the personal debt owed to foreign owned corporations & all the run down, privatised services (gas, water, electricity, NHS etc)...

So, Im not too concerned with global warming myself..
Rant over..LOL

Matt2107
09-11-06, 12:25 PM
Lol I recycle glass bottles... and have now started doing card.

I think the first "green" coal power station has just opened in this country somewhere.

Jack
09-11-06, 12:34 PM
I think the first "green" coal power station has just opened in this country somewhere.
hah, yeah I think I heard that recently as well. How the fcuk can they make a "green" coal-fuelled power station, as unless I'm mistaken, coal power stations burn the coal... producing tons of smoke and cack? Or did they just give it a coat of Dulux One Coat thus making it "green" lmfao lol

Matt2107
09-11-06, 12:40 PM
**** knows... did you see my local power station on the news.

Protestors broke in... some chained themselves to the coal conveyors... the rest climbed up one of the towers and painted their message on the side.

Their love spuds must have been the size of a knats as it was fecking cold on the ground... let alone a few hundred feet in the air.

Power station bosses simply said... "they'll come down when they get bored.. we'll just switch to running on 50% power generation for the moment then swap to 150% when they come down to make up the loss." lol

Nova Full
09-11-06, 12:43 PM
The Government need to look at the issue in a complelty different way, people aren't going to stop using fossile fuels for things like heating their homes no matter the costs!!

The goverment should be providing subsides etc for putting solar panels on house roofs like you can get in spain, all new buildings should have solar panels fitting as standard, your house may costs an extra 1.5k but your utility bills would be much lower (saving circa ?400 - 450 a year average) and the amount of pollution would also be reduced

Matt2107
09-11-06, 12:44 PM
I'd be quite happy with a solar panel on my roof... but as you say... would need to be a "grant" arrangement or something similar.

craig green
09-11-06, 12:55 PM
I'd sooner live in a log cabin in the forest & not depend on modern civilisation at all if I could help it. No crap TV license to pay for, or stupid taxes etc (dream).

Jack
09-11-06, 01:29 PM
The Government need to look at the issue in a complelty different way, people aren't going to stop using fossile fuels for things like heating their homes no matter the costs!!
Hence why fuels are taxed heavily - petrol has a massive 53% duty levy as well as the 17.5% VAT; 70.5% of the price you pay at the pump goes to the government. Imagine if that duty was dropped - fuel prices would average around 40p a litre.

Its all about price elasticity - with some products, people have such a desire to use it they'll carry on buying it even if the price rockets. The government knows the average bloke on the street will moan til the cows come home about petrol prices, but won't do sod all about it and carry on buying it. The petrol blockades a few years ago did nothing but aid the situation as people just bought more petrol leading up to the blockades, thus using up all the stocks and causing a shortage, then buying loads more when stocks came in - all the while lining the governments pockets with tax. The period before and after the period of shortage more than made up for the loss in taxes when nobody could buy any fuel.

A little off topic but hey ho!

Dar
09-11-06, 02:22 PM
The global warming thing tiz all aload of rubbish. I remember a few years back(well more than a few) when we where said to be heading towards another iceage. Then suddenly oh no where not where getting warmer. Its all about money and how more of the stuff can be taken from the general population.

The same goes for speed cameras. They are put in place to make money out of the general population but are said to be put there to make the roads safer which is again, rubbish.

craig green
09-11-06, 02:36 PM
Hence why fuels are taxed heavily - petrol has a massive 53% duty levy as well as the 17.5% VAT; 70.5% of the price you pay at the pump goes to the government. Imagine if that duty was dropped - fuel prices would average around 40p a litre.

Dont forget you have already paid income tax on the money you were going to hand over at the kiosk...

Tax upon tax upon taxes. VOTE RAVING LOONY PARTY I say! lol

Lee
09-11-06, 06:15 PM
The green party have got it all wrong.

Our cars are feeding their precious trees, a CO2 rich atmosphere is perfect for them lol

draper
09-11-06, 06:16 PM
the countries going down the pan. <that was supposed to be a full stop in caps

as soon as i have my qualifications im jumping ship, hopefully australia !!

Alex.
09-11-06, 07:28 PM
Out shopping this afternoon. P!ssed off because it was cold. I walk onto the opposite pavement, and some guy is there going "Hello?" "Hello?" So I stopped and smiled best I could being cold and with an ulcer on the inside of my mouth. He says to me...
"Hi, thanks for stopping. You like the type of person that wants to help save the world..."
I just laughed...lol

craig green
09-11-06, 07:29 PM
He mistook you for someone that gave a shti!

Was that in Bridgy?

Lozzie C
09-11-06, 07:32 PM
Haha how cheesy!

There's been quite a few people approaching the public about Oxfam lately, you sign up with you details and they send you things in the post about music festivals etc. that they're running in aid of Oxfam...
I asked them why they sent the information in the post because the money they're spending on post and paper could go towards Oxfam rather than it being thrown to the side as soon as someone receives it! E-mails a lot cheaper!

Lauren

Alex.
09-11-06, 07:42 PM
He mistook you for someone that gave a shti!

Was that in Bridgy?

No street.

You get those random preachers in Bridgy. lol

Philsutton
09-11-06, 08:33 PM
Right here is some information for you all to mull over (I seem to say the same thing each time but people don?t listen), regardless of your stand on global warming you all predominately think fossil fuels are to blame. One of the main reasons as to why we are able to live on this planet is down to the magnetic field that surrounds it and thus protects the planet from the plasma radiated away from the sun, this is known as the parker spiral as shown below.

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/6/68/300px-Heliospheric-current-sheet.jpg (http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/6/68/300px-Heliospheric-current-sheet.jpg)

Well the parker spiral is actually the rotating magnetic field of the sun but this directly controls the plasma movement.

If the Earth had no magnetic field to deflect this, to put it simply we?d be fcuked and the planet would increase in temperature to a point where we would no longer be able to live.
Now the magnetic field of our planet is rather strange to say the least but one thing that is known is that the poles swap (I.e. north becomes south ect..) periodically over roughly 700?000 years or so. It has been known for a while that it we are currently in the process of the poles flipping and when this does happen the magnetic field slowly decreases, now if the field decreases then less and less of the suns energy will be deflected and the planet will increase in temperature.

Another thing that has recently been observed is that Mars is undergoing ?global warming? at the same rate as Earth. Now I don?t think it?s the Martians not car sharing that?s causing that.

There are publications on what I have already mentioned if you wanted to read into it properly.

On a last note though I burn as many plastic bags as I can in a day, to do my bit for the planet. lol

Jack
09-11-06, 09:40 PM
Now I don?t think it?s the Martians not car sharing that?s causing that.
LMFAO

hendrix
09-11-06, 09:58 PM
good stuff as ever phil :thumb:
I remember the stuff about the poles switching round from when I still did astrophysics. He said something along the same lines too

Lee
10-11-06, 01:49 PM
Yep, im also aware that we're way overdue for a pole swap. You also get odd little pockets of a small 'Magnetic North' in the magnetic south region, and vice versa iirc during the transition.

Good job we now have GPS or we'd end up losing all our oil tankers! Heaven Forbid! lol

Philsutton
10-11-06, 07:34 PM
I cant wait until i get a big 12 litre muscle car, im going to just leave it just ticking over trees all over the world will die.

There is a mass extinction event on its way soon, it would do us as a species a lot of good if it wiped out a big proportion of the population out.

Lee
10-11-06, 07:48 PM
Yup, i look forward to it!

It will either a) kill me or b) clear out the gene pool.

If its a, im pretty sure i wont give a toss, so its a win win situation!

Philsutton
10-11-06, 07:50 PM
I hope its more of the latter

Lee
10-11-06, 07:57 PM
aww bless, at least someone cares about me!

...lol

Philsutton
10-11-06, 08:04 PM
yeah wasnt meant to sound that way, was commenting on the fact that the gene pool needs some cleansing lol

Nova_Tek
10-11-06, 08:24 PM
Think its a load of cobblers. Like ppl have mentioned its all to start raising some sort of revenue from somewhere. A recent documentary said that CO2 emissions are lower now then they were in earths history and yes I did also hear about the magnetic field swap too. As for Mars in global warming, we should stop driving our Novas over there thought it wasnt a good idea :D

I have been to contries where they have been using solar power to heat water for well over 30 years and still do and yet only now there has been an emphasis on it in the UK.

What I do not understand is that they wish to get people onto greener fuels but also raise the price of them too like LPG. First remember it being 30p and now 55p soon I suppose you will see LPG at 90p a litre lol. Plus the introduction of more buses dont help much either. cant imagine a 12litre turbocharged engine is gonna do much for green-ness when its spuing out c****nogenic fumes like diesel. Seems a bit contradictory to me.

Now the likes of the USA are starting to blame China for polution and wants them to reduce their carbon emission but how long has America been the largest poluter?

One thing we need to clean up is these politicians that do squat.

Rant over :cool:

PS Bit of a side track from previous posts :p

mowgli
10-11-06, 08:54 PM
Right, here is my take on it.
Remember the seventies & eighties when we had real snowy winters?
In those days the power stations & cars belched out huge amounts of sulphur. Now sulphur actually cools down the atmosphere quite a bit, but acid rain (Remember that?) caused a few old buildings to corrode, so they stopped it. (by the way, ultra low sulphur fuel is made by adding water & an emulsifier to fuel so we actually buy 5% water) 1 decent volcano in the world would sort it out quite a bit.
Also the earth's orbit relative to the sun is not constant, and in a cycle of about 100 years it actually gets to be slightly closer (and wobbly) in its orbit. Guess what? it is on one of those closer cycles now! to coincide with the late ice age, the yellowstone park super volcano is overdue, the sea level is rising, that big meteor is going to get spotted soon, and as for all of those aliens chopping up cows & buggering rednecks! we are stuffed, so lets go down with a party!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Philsutton
10-11-06, 09:06 PM
I hope its the yellowstone park that goes first as it will wipe out pretty much all of North America in the first week. Damn good result if you ask me.

Lee
10-11-06, 09:25 PM
Amen brother, i can see the home videos now!

'Dawg garn it Hank, aint that a pretty eruption'

'AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGHGGGGGHHGGHHHHHHH HHH'

Pure cinema!

mowgli
10-11-06, 09:27 PM
But what about Yogi Bear? and BooBoo?

Philsutton
10-11-06, 09:31 PM
its a sacrifice worth taking im afraid

Lee
10-11-06, 09:40 PM
http://members.aol.com/PaulEC2/boo.jpg
YOGI, I SUGGEST WE RUN... RUN TO THE CAVE

http://members.aol.com/PaulEC2/yog3.jpg
FECK OFF BOO BOO, IM FISHING FOR FOOTWEAR

mowgli
10-11-06, 09:58 PM
I thought he was smarter than the average bear?

Kinky Monza
10-11-06, 10:26 PM
Well i'm amazed at reading such a serious thread in muppet corner!!!
My local council has just started the recycling process, but we now get THREE dustbin waggons come round instead of one lol

Jack
11-11-06, 05:55 PM
What I do not understand is that they wish to get people onto greener fuels but also raise the price of them too like LPG. First remember it being 30p and now 55p soon I suppose you will see LPG at 90p a litre lol.
LPG is duty free at the moment - til 2009 I believe. So then it probably will go up to the same price as petrol. Average price of LPG at the moment is about 45p per litre? Take the 53% duty off the average price of petrol (say about 86p per litre at the mo) and it comes to about 40p per litre. So yes, LPG will be more expensive than petrol when they put duty back on it lol

Plus the introduction of more buses dont help much either. cant imagine a 12litre turbocharged engine is gonna do much for green-ness when its spuing out c****nogenic fumes like diesel. Seems a bit contradictory to me.
The idea behind busses is that if more people use them, then less people will be using cars. So one bus probably does put out a lot less crap than say 12-20 cars. AFAIK they run them (or most of them) on bio diesel or something anyway.

london_chris
11-11-06, 07:55 PM
i think the most important thing to worry about is about our old novas giving out so high emissions,which is y i bought a pre aug92 car for trackdays. but say the government get more serious n introduce higher taxes for these cars or even ban them lol! that would bover me more than gettin hotter summers, saves goin abroad!!!

Lee
11-11-06, 08:06 PM
i think the most important thing to worry about is about our old novas giving out so high emissions,which is y i bought a pre aug92 car for trackdays. but say the government get more serious n introduce higher taxes for these cars or even ban them lol! that would bover me more than gettin hotter summers, saves goin abroad!!!

Thats why mine doesnt get MOT'd, means i can smoke as much as i want lol

Philsutton
11-11-06, 08:08 PM
fcuk it why not mix some used oil in your tank, save getting rid of it in a proper way

Lee
11-11-06, 08:16 PM
thats a good idea lol

Mine should be way under emissions regs after a proper map tbh, ive just been lazy over the last year.