PDA

View Full Version : ill red top any ideas?

ste porter
08-11-06, 11:04 AM
ok just brought a red top calibra last night been stood for a while so we went round and asked if he wanted rid so we ended up with a realy good condition calibra that was sold to us with a surposidly nackered clutch and nackered air flow meter

any way we had a look this morning and it had a brand new clutch cable that was right at the end of the adjustment bolt so a few turns with a spanner and hey presto we have a clutch again
so that isnt a problem

the problem is it hunts does not idol and if you flaw it it miss fires trys to stall or bangs but if you slowly acelerate it revs up fine let of and iit hunts and stalls again

been down the scrapers this morning got a selection of air flow meters of red tops and eco **** engines and it hasnt helped any ideas?

Karl M
08-11-06, 11:14 AM
HES SOLD YOU A DUFF LIKE YOU DID TO ME....lol lol lol lol

ste porter
08-11-06, 11:18 AM
yea but unlike you i payed 100 quid for it not 1000 lol

Stoo
08-11-06, 11:24 AM
Idle control valve, take it off clean it out with carb cleaner!

Also clean your breathers out!

Karl M
08-11-06, 11:26 AM
YOU MIGHT OF HAD THE FIRST LAUGH BUT UNLIKE YOU IVE SPENT CASH ON IT AND ITS NOT A BAD LITTLE CAR NOW BUT IVE NEVER SEEN SO MUCH BODGING IN ALL MY LIVE ITS PEOPLE LIKE YOU WHY THERES SO MANY S***Y NOVAS AROUND AND NO GOOD ONE'S LEFT:mad:

Stoo
08-11-06, 11:27 AM
YOU MIGHT OF HAD THE FIRST LAUGH BUT UNLIKE YOU IVE SPENT CASH ON IT AND ITS NOT A BAD LITTLE CAR NOW BUT IVE NEVER SEEN SO MUCH BODGING IN ALL MY LIVE ITS PEOPLE LIKE YOU WHY THERES SO MANY S***Y NOVAS AROUND AND NO GOOD ONE'S LEFT:mad:

Dry your eyes mate, PMs are the place for that ****!!

ste porter
08-11-06, 11:36 AM
and like stated that car was brought exactly as i sold it. i brought it for a run around drove it for a month or 2 and sold it

you knew when you brought it what state it was in i even pointed most of it out to you well what i knew of my self but 2 be honest its exactly like i said to you i didnt wana touch it or start doing anything to it as i knew it would end up beeing everything it needed i dont think it ever see a jack when i had it cause i realy didnt wana touch it

i mean be honest when you go look at a car and you find a 2 foot long rotten split in the chassis rail who the hell pays nearly a grand for it

ste porter
08-11-06, 11:38 AM
yea there all ****y ones left cause 19 year old chavs like ur self keep buying them thrashing them and stacking em

Karl M
08-11-06, 12:02 PM
FAREPLAY IM IN THE MDDLE OF BUYING A MINTA SHELL AND STICKING MY REDTOP IN STRIPING GSI TO HELP BUILD A HALF DECENT 20XE NOVA AND AS FOR CHAV MAYBE YOU SHOULD LOOK UP THAT WORD BEFORE YOU USE IT SO FREELY AND IM 20...lol

Matt2107
08-11-06, 12:08 PM
Is your caps lock stuck on?

ste porter
08-11-06, 12:31 PM
so y was u asking me what the insurance was like for a 19 year old on a gsi? also as stated in another post i did genuinly feel realy bad when i found out how bad the shell was but the way u go on and on realy is just starting to get boring i could understand u would be abit mithed to start with cause i know i would be and have had summin similar in the past but ur just going on and on now like a broken record

ste porter
08-11-06, 01:21 PM
ok taken the sfi box off wheres the icv on these engines i cant see it or am i just beeing thick?

Adam
08-11-06, 05:47 PM
Its right down the back of the inlet, a pipe from the sfi box goes to it.

ste porter
08-11-06, 06:18 PM
yea got it cheers took it off tryed carb cleaner ect put it back on and no better any other ideas? could a nackered battry cause these symptoms cause its nackered

bump
08-11-06, 08:46 PM
Battery isn't going to cause it, if it turns the block over. Any fault codes?

EDIT: Sorry I'm a tit and didn't see your previous post with fault codes in till now.

Stoo
08-11-06, 09:08 PM
The ICV is a silver cylindrical job with an electrical connection and a pipe or 2, cant remember now, underneath the inlet manifold, the pipe that goes from the SFI box under the mani ios attatched to it

Take it out and give it a thorough clean, i mean proper clean it!! Takes alot to clean em sometimes!!

If that still doesnt work again, check all your inlet pipes + gaskets, might have an air leak!

With the misfirng etc try changing ur plugs, leads, rotor arm, cap and coil!

Should clear things up, cant harm having fresh ignition hardware!

lee 16v
08-11-06, 10:59 PM
i just put a 16v in my nova and it doing the same thing, its got a little missfire and revs keep droping and the engine cuts out but if you keep you foot down it dont rev up and down as bad,but i think iv got an air leak as i can hear something leaking from the back of the engine

Stanley
08-11-06, 11:13 PM
Firts thoughts are, ICV, Throttle position sensor?, air flow meter, lambda probe?

ste porter
09-11-06, 12:07 AM
icv has been replaced for one i know is good same problem still
tps has been replaced for one i know is good same problem still
tred 3 different afm same problem still

it has new plugs same problem still
it has new leads same problem still
oh and its diss pack not coil

the thing is it seems to be a hell of alot better while the jump leads are still connected take them off and it hunts violently again and before any one surgests it i have had a volt meter on it when running and its at 14.3-14.4 volts so spot on but when it stalls it even strugles to turn the dash lights on and the battery then has about 10 v and on trying to crank nothing at all got a new battery on its way 2morrow so will see then and check all earths

Stoo
09-11-06, 08:05 AM
Starter motor on its way out??
Bad earths??
Alternator??

Check all the wires off the back of the alternator and starter motr, make sure there all connected properly, and all your earts are connected properly too!

Running out of suggestions!!

IVI0USEY
09-11-06, 01:25 PM
u had a compression tester on it head might gone??

any contamination in water or oil ???

does it rev on its own up to roughly 4000rpm then flux up and down ??

craig green
09-11-06, 02:07 PM
Try a new earth lead from the alternator body to the -ve battery terminal.

Just because it turns over doesnt mean the charging circuit is 100%. If you are losing current through the alternator it wont run very well under load. I know from my own experience with my own XE. The earth on the alternator bracket/adjuster is very poor.

bump
09-11-06, 08:19 PM
I'll go with Craig on this, batt should be fine but earth's may not be.

ste porter
10-11-06, 09:52 AM
battery is long dead it is defenatly charging but not holding a charge at all new battry going on 2nite will keep you all informed cheers

craig green
10-11-06, 10:05 AM
Put an extra earth wire on as I said.

Do you find elec windows are slow etc?