PDA

View Full Version : black boxes for cars

draper
07-11-06, 08:11 PM
lifted this of the local krooze forum a minute ago !

what are people's thought on the black box thing discussed on jeremy vine today ? show can be heard here http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/vine/ (http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/vine/) kicks in after about 1hr 10 , not sure if its been discussed before , but i think its a brillaint idea , it could also be used succesfully to administer speeding fines etc if they were to implement it , it would also lower the insurance of older people like myself who subsidize younger drivers.
Maybe compulsory for under 25's ? , i know some of you will moan about it will affect you but you would get the benift as you get older , and i dont think
civil liberties has an argumnet unless you have something to hide http://cruisederby.co.uk/forums/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif

views http://cruisederby.co.uk/forums/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Kinky Monza
07-11-06, 08:18 PM
A load of crap! why don't they just put a listening device in our heads when we're born, they could keep track of us all then! i can't see the point, cos like those electronic tags convicts get given when they come out of prison someone'll find a way to remove it!!

draper
07-11-06, 08:23 PM
yep, wont be long before someone figures out how to re-wire it so it goes backwards like you can leccy meters - could make it so the government owe you money !!

Haynzee
07-11-06, 08:24 PM
perhaps someone should point out that i'm subsidising his pension, the piss stinking old fart

Lee
07-11-06, 08:47 PM
I actually think its a good idea, it will probably help lower the amount of deaths on the road, which can only be a good thing. I dont agree with the speed restriction bollox and 'automatically fining' people as this just comes down to the government money grabbing again, but to actually have a black box on board that just records data, or even video, which will prove the bloke who side swiped you at a roundabout WAS doing 80 mph in a 30 zone, would be fantastic! They have this system in some parts of america, and it works very well.

draper
07-11-06, 09:08 PM
I actually think its a good idea, it will probably help lower the amount of deaths on the road, which can only be a good thing. I dont agree with the speed restriction bollox and 'automatically fining' people as this just comes down to the government money grabbing again, but to actually have a black box on board that just records data, or even video, which will prove the bloke who side swiped you at a roundabout WAS doing 80 mph in a 30 zone, would be fantastic! They have this system in some parts of america, and it works very well.

that part i agree with, and ive seen it on the police shows where it does work BUT maybe it should be controlled by the driver ?? like you guys have cameras on track days ?? that way when you get home you can delete that journey ? or maybe every week ?? but its the whole money grabbing, big brother state thats wrong

DI4BLO
07-11-06, 09:12 PM
A load of crap! why don't they just put a listening device in our heads when we're born, they could keep track of us all then! i can't see the point, cos like those electronic tags convicts get given when they come out of prison someone'll find a way to remove it!!

The point of keeping it in is so you pay less on your insurance? It would be from them and keep track of how manyy miles you do when you do them and how fast you drive. drive like a retard and you pay more for your insurance, "in theory" seems fair to me.The ones they were talking about on the radio were not compulsary you choose to have it put in.

Lee
07-11-06, 09:18 PM
The ones in US act like aircraft recorders, they automatically delete data over 15 mins old, so in a crash, you always have the last 15 mins of the journey recorded.

This is the problem with the government at the moment, theyre not actually interested in solving problems. Just generating money!

Look at the recent bollocks about 'green taxes'.

Problem. Cars harming the atmosphere.

Governments solution. Tax the crap out of the motorist with the public 'aim' of encouraging more people to ditch their cars.
Result. People NEED their cars, its part of their lives, their jobs, their lifestyle. so they pay up, and the atmosphere still gets eaten away.
Conclusion. Gay

Alternative solution. Go direct to the car manufacturers, and decree that they must produce vehicles that are significantly cleaner and environmentally friendly.
Result. Consumers have no choice, still have their cars, and not a huge bill to run them. Environment benifits.
Conclusion. Not Gay, but doesnt line their pockets, therefore, gas guzzling 4wd's and V8's will still be produced and bought as this will never happen until its too late.

Jim Mcrae
07-11-06, 09:54 PM
Yes i agree with the safety side and all but i the idea of the nanny state and it will be like big brother is watching i really dislike

Jack
07-11-06, 10:56 PM
Hmm. If it was a standalone box then perhaps... Ok yes it could record car statistics leading up to a crash, but it won't necessarily prevent accidents. I fail to see how it can lower insurance premiums, aside from proof for limited mileage policies - but then surely the MOT certificate could prove annual mileage. As for recording how a driver drives, well it would be based on speed primarily I'd assume - so surely someone who lives in the country will record lots of 60/70mph speeds, where as someone in a city will be more round 20-30mph all the time... By looking at the speeds alone you'd think the first driver was the higher risk as they drive faster most of the time, which in reality isn't the case (and more likely quite the opposite).

However, if it has a GPS link to a computer which is constantly monitoring your car, then IMO its a big no-no. Civil liberty groups would be up in arms! If I mistakenly go 31mph in a 30 zone will it record that and issue me a fine - do I then have to spend my time watching my speedo like a hawk and not paying attention to the road? Could it be hacked by the car behind who has a laptop and wireless connection? What happens if it malfunctions and suddenly incorrectly records me doing a speed of 40 in a 30 when I'm physically doing 28mph?

TBH with all the electronic gadgets and gubbins in modern cars it wouldn't surprise me if this was the next thing the government dictate every motorist should have. They'd probably then introduce a mileage tax, where you have to produce the black box every year and pay as per how many miles you have travelled. Also probably wouldn't be hard for it to log a wide range of other data. Although give it a couple months and some l337 nerds will have haxx0rzed it lol

As for the government using pollution as a reason to tax... if thats what they're really worried about, why haven't they put major thought into renewable energy sources, and taxing the fcuk out of industry instead of trying to ween money out of the motorist?!*

*actually I know why, its because industry will happily emigrate abroad, where as we're all stuck here!! And researching and implementing renewable, or more eco-friendly, energy supplies costs money instead of creating revenue lol

draper
07-11-06, 11:06 PM
yeah, theres no way to make it fool proof agaisnt hackings etc or how would you explain a malfunction. a victim of domestic abuse or someone fleeing for there life would also get fined/possibley banned as you fled for safety just because you drove fast etc etc

theres to many floors in this great idea

L14MNP
08-11-06, 01:40 AM
floors
lol

I can't add anymore to this what hasn't been covered already! Good conversation - especially BT and Razor - some good/true points! :thumb:

Jack
08-11-06, 09:29 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/e9/Book_cover_1984.jpg/200px-Book_cover_1984.jpg