PDA

View Full Version : water coming out of water bottle when hot

ad4m
06-11-06, 08:27 PM
hi i have a problem when i warm the car up so that temp gauge is just below half water starts to bubble out of the water bottle should the fan kick in if the temp gauge is just below half? what could this be please help hope i dont need a new engine thanks adam

Lee
06-11-06, 08:43 PM
sounds like your caps knackered. Get another one from a scrappers, or a brand new one from Vaux, should cure it.

Fan should cut in just over half IIRC. it will be bubbling if the caps leaking as it should be a pressurised system.

ad4m
06-11-06, 09:38 PM
the cap was off when it happened

Lee
06-11-06, 10:07 PM
Well leave the cap on then, and your problems will dissapear! Youve only got a problem if the needle climbs to 3 quarters and you still have no fan action, and the water WILL bubble over if you leave the cap off.

ad4m
06-11-06, 10:09 PM
the last time i leaved the cap on i blew a water pipe and it made a mess hehe

Lee
06-11-06, 10:11 PM
in which case your water system is becoming pressurised, probably from a blown head gasket at a guess. Can you smell exhaust fumes in the water?

Ben
06-11-06, 11:27 PM
Do a compression test.

Adam
07-11-06, 02:49 PM
the last time i leaved the cap on i blew a water pipe and it made a mess hehe
Lol, the cap is needed to pressurise the system, without it the coolant would boil at normal water boiling point and shoot out the coolant tank (as you've found out)

Does sound like a headgasket problem

mikey14sr
07-11-06, 05:49 PM
thats exactly what mine did at the end of august whilst travelling to sheffield, wouldn't start after a while, when i took the plugs out after getting towed back home water was being pumped out of the plug holes........

mini_kris
07-11-06, 05:56 PM
mine did this in blackpool last week, put a new cap on it and its aok now

simonmarsden
07-11-06, 06:03 PM
mine did this, head gasket ;)

octane
12-11-06, 04:20 PM
i had exactly same happen on way back from the ring. got towed all the way from belgium!! with a verdict of haed gasket failure.