PDA

View Full Version : master cylinder ?!?

chimp007_uk
06-11-06, 07:27 PM
right...

i have 2litre 16v calipers and grooved and vented front discs, with ap racing rear shoes. bled the brakes trough, theres loads of material left on the pads.

i have quite a bit of pedal travel before there's any real braking effect.

what could this be? was thinking it could be master cylinder problem.

thanks
chris

Lee
06-11-06, 07:33 PM
MS is faulty if your pedal creeps to the floor under pressure.

Material on the pads/shoes is irrelevant, what pads are you using?

if you say greenstuff, theres your problem straight away lol

mikey14sr
07-11-06, 06:05 PM
you do get slightly increased travel with the bigger pistons on the 2.0 ate type calipers, you can adjust the relay bar to get the brakes to bite earlier, But start by making sure the rears are adjusted correctly. If the rear shoes are more than a few mm away from the drum, that gap has to be taken up before you feel resistance at the pedal. Same thing happens when wheel bearings come loose and the disc/drum wobbles, you have to take up the play in the bearing before they start working.

(Which has just reminded me I need to get some new rear stub axles as mine are worn out and no amount of bearing adjustment removes the play)

chimp007_uk
07-11-06, 06:58 PM
rear shoes have been adjusted, not sure what front pads are, havent changed them tsince i got the car. looking to get mintexx 1144 or 1155 for road rallying. the brakes work well once the pedal trval has been taken up, but the problem is that its hard to brake sensitively when you have to take up so much travel first...

would it be worth fitting an astra gte master cylinder? also, are the master cylinders on nova's all the same?

chimp007_uk
08-11-06, 12:19 PM
???

Adam
08-11-06, 05:44 PM
All nova master cylinders are the same.
It could be a knackered master cylinder, as any working nova master cylinder will operate 16v brakes easily.

Mr-G
09-11-06, 10:19 AM
have you changed the servo unit for the larger nova GSI item????

chimp007_uk
09-11-06, 12:35 PM
i have standard nova gte servo and nova gte master cylinder.

i was wondering if an astra gte master cylinder will fit? or a astra mk3 2l 16v master cyclinder?

all the master sylinder listed on ebay don't say for all nova's... i'm confused

octane
12-11-06, 03:42 PM
nova cyliners are not the same. gsi cylinder is larger in diameter that any othre nova one.
nova gsi one will be a simple replacement.
astra gte will only fit with some fiddling/cutting of the connection bar where it joins up with the relay bar.
your better off just fitting a nova gsi version.

chimp007_uk
12-11-06, 04:03 PM
cheers for that!

does anyone have a gsi master cylinder in good condition?

chimp007_uk
12-11-06, 10:49 PM
what do the number 3 digit numbers/letters symbolises ontop of the master cylinder at the front?

i've had a look at mine and it looks like DD and then another letter or number but i cant really see.