PDA

View Full Version : Running on 3 and stalling!

L14MNP
05-11-06, 10:31 PM
Right, following on from this thread http://www.novaload.net/forum/showthread.php?t=69887 Today my mate and I changed the spark plugs, HT leads and air filter and sprayed some carb cleaner in the carb - I haven't dismantled the carb, don' know how to!

The car ran a bit better (still occasional stall but fires straight up after now) after the plugs/leads/carb cleaner (with no airbox)

Fitted airbox - still ran OK, but stalled every so often.

Now however, after another run up the street it started running on 3 cylinders (or at least sounds it!)

The plugs were black with obvious over fuelling and the airfilter (k&n circular thing, was black too - this has only been on about 3K miles)

It is a 14SR carb with 78K miles on, the car had stood for 2 years before I got it, but engine wise I gave it a service and it has been OK until recentley.

Could it be the timing belt or cyl head? I notice a very small amount of 'mayonaise' type stuff in the header tank every so often, but it doesn't use abnormal amounts of water/oil.

Or is it just a manky carb? Also noticed it has NO fuel filter anywhere WTF!
I was going to fit an inline one - good idea?

Also is it possible the timing belt could have stretched/jumper a tooth perhaps?

Before is started running on 3 it would idle fine BTW

Please help, I need this car for work, and right now I'm well confused!

Cheers, Liam

Welsh Dan
06-11-06, 08:08 AM
Fit an inline fuel filter, clean the carb again.

To find out if it is running on 3, disconnect the HT leads one at a time in turn whilst its running.

If its running on 4 then check the ignition timing.

If its stood still for 2 years then the cambelt will have laminated anyway and should be replaced promtly because it will break soon.

Lee
06-11-06, 05:47 PM
To find out if it is running on 3, disconnect the HT leads one at a time in turn whilst its running.

Be very careful when doing this, wear some thick gloves and take your time, because it HURTS when you get a shock!

Adam
06-11-06, 06:15 PM
If you can get hold of a timing light, its a much easier and safer way of checking each plug is getting a spark.

L14MNP
07-11-06, 02:26 AM
Be very careful when doing this, wear some thick gloves and take your time, because it HURTS when you get a shock!
HA HA aint that the truth! I had a canny shock from a Supra like that once :(

LLTN - you tryin to kill me? lol

All fixed now lads :D The HT lead on no.3 had snapped inside at the dizzy end (fcukin halfrauds $hit) and i changed the carb for a 13SR one my mate had - just another Pielburg (sp) but at least it works! The car is loads quicker/more responsive and hopefully will start giving more respectible MPG!

I'm gona fit an inline filter ASAP too..

Thanks for all the info :)

Adam
07-11-06, 02:51 PM
LLTN - you tryin to kill me? lol

No, im being serious :confused: Lol
With the timing light method, theres no chance of a 20'000v spark going up your arm as you attempt to remove a ht lead,Lol.