PDA

View Full Version : strut top assembly - advice needed...

ade
05-11-06, 10:25 PM
Need a bit of help.

Took my suspension apart as part of my rebuild the other week and after painting and reassembling it, the white plastic stop rings wont stay in place.

According to Haynes, they sit in the upper spring plate that holds the top rupper spring damper pad in place and are the bit between the bump stop and the base of the spring plate (they siy in the groove around the bearing).

Anyone know how I get them to stay in place?

The moment I fit my suspension and turn it upside down the white ring pops out!

For reference heres a pic of haynes of what I mean -

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/Untitled-2.gif
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/danga/Untitled-1.gif

Can I do without them? Thers 2" of bump stop and then the plastic gaiter ober the strut so does it matter?

My suspension springs/shocks are Gmax 60mm.

(images are (c) Haynes manuals - just incase!)

dan23
05-11-06, 10:45 PM
what about a bit of grease on them or maybe some loctite

just a thought

craig green
06-11-06, 03:57 PM
Could that drawing be incorrect, & the ring goes in above 8 & below 7 ??

ade
06-11-06, 10:38 PM
nah - 7 is the bearing and I've never known haynes to be incorrect - just highly inaccurate about undoing very touch bolts.

Anyone else?

Lee
06-11-06, 10:53 PM
i think you'll be fine without them pal, as long as the spring is seated correctly, and you have at least one bump stop in there.

mikey14sr
07-11-06, 05:58 PM
Can't say I've ever seen that part before, unless people have allready thrown them away for me!

DIY*VALVER84
08-11-06, 09:58 AM
i did the exact same on a set of spax i had before my coilovers, sort of rebuilt it all went to put the struts bk on and i noticed this little white plastic thing just dangling around, read into it and turns out it was just a dust cover for the bearings so i cut it off with set of gilly's and just loaded the bearing with ****e loads of grease. that said i suppose you could always glue the cover bk on but chances of it staying put are minimal cuz its under constant stress what with the load and movement. its a good old suck it and see, but hohnestly i was fine with just lopping it off. all the best.