PDA

View Full Version : Cancelling issues with First Alternative

Stuart
05-11-06, 10:58 AM
i called and wrote to them a while back to cancell my policy on the 8th of august as i had got a new car and they couldnt match the quote i had for it.

As far as i was aware they had cancelled it as i had sent in my certificate and a letter. I check my bank for the first time in months and they have been taking money from me still. i called yesterday morning and it turns out they want proof that i no longer own the car that was insured by them before they cancel the policy and refund me.

Thing is ive still got the car but its Sorned/no MOT etc and stored off road till i can be ****d to scrap it.

Do any other companies want stupid thigns like proof of sale etc and will the sorn letter do to shut them up?.... Or shall i jsut cancel the direct debit and let them whinge at me...... lol

Stoo
05-11-06, 11:03 AM
It doesnt matter if you still own the car or not, if you have asked to cancel the policy and have returned your certificate and documents relating to the insurance then thay have no right to be taking money off you!!

Did you tell them you were cancelling because they couldnt match your qouote? If so then they should know why your cancelling!!

Also, are you half way through a term?

Stuart
05-11-06, 11:08 AM
it was half way yes. id expect to pay a "fee" but not have to carry on paying till i prove that the vehicle isnt mine anymore....

it dosent help that they moved the call centre to india either. So i go back on my recomendation of first alternative as a good insurer ;)

Stoo
05-11-06, 11:14 AM
LOL ask to speak to somone that can speak english properly!! and keep asking until you get an english person!

As for the cancellation, yeah , expect to pay a fee mid-term but shouldnt need proof you dont own it anymore!! Thats ridiculous!

Jack
05-11-06, 01:15 PM
Speak to your bank and cancel the direct debit, also tell them the money has been taken without your consent - the bank may be able to get the money back for you (Nationwide did this with my student course fees a couple years ago).

Might be worth contacting the Financial Ombudsman (http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/) as well, see what they say. Is there anything in the policy documentation that states you must supply proof of sale to cancel a policy? Can't imagine there would be... Anyway, what would you have of proof of sale? A handwritten receipt? lol

Novasr1.4owner
06-11-06, 10:28 PM
have they confirmed they are in reciept of your request in writing to cancel the policy and your certificate of insurance?
normally a proof of sale is requested if these documents have not been recieved and it normally requested with again a request in writing an LCD(lost certificate declaration) which they should supply you.
your sorn document should be accepted as proof the vehicle no longer needed to be insured, however they may play the "if it was stolen we would have paid out" card

if they have recieved your certificate and letter to cancel they have no right to request proof of sale etc as you have provided everything you need.

if you still hit a block, threaten them with the FOS but dont expect them the cancel over the phone without cert/ltr as this would breach FSA.

best of luck mate

Ian

Novasr1.4owner
06-11-06, 10:34 PM
From first alternative policy booklet

"11 Cancelling your policy

If you are dissatisfied with the cover provided by your policy, you have 14 days to cancel from the
date you receive your documents if you are a new customer or from the renewal date if you are an
existing customer. If you decide to cancel, you must return your Certificate of Motor Insurance to
us at Equinox, 19 Cadogan Street, Glasgow, G2 6QQ. As long as no incidents have arisen which
could result in a claim under your policy, we will refund the premium you have paid.
If any incidents have arisen, we will refund the premium you have paid less a pro-rata charge for
the time you have been on cover, unless your car is considered to be a total loss or has been
stolen and not recovered. In the latter situations we will not refund any premium and, if you are
paying by instalments, you must still pay us the balance of the full annual premium.
If you do not exercise your right to cancel during the 14 day period, your policy will continue as
normal. If you decide to cancel after this 14 day period, you must give us seven days' notice in
writing and return your Certificate of Motor Insurance to us. As long as no incidents have arisen
which could result in a claim under your policy, we will refund the part of the premium you have not
yet used, less an administration fee to take account of our costs in providing your policy. The fees
are detailed in your Schedule.
If you cancel your direct debit this does not mean that you have cancelled your policy.
We will cancel your policy from the date we receive your Certificate of Motor Insurance. If you have
lost your Certificate of Motor Insurance, we will ask you to complete a Lost Certificate Declaration
and your cancellation will not take effect until the date we receive your Certificate of Motor
Insurance or Lost Certificate Declaration. If the amount due when you cancel your policy is more
than the amount you have paid, you must pay us the difference.
If a claim has been made, we will cancel your cover but not refund any premium. If you are paying
by instalments, you must still pay us the balance of the full annual premium.
We also have a right to cancel your policy at any time by giving you seven days' notice in writing.
We will send our letter to the latest address we have for you. If we do cancel your policy, we will
refund the part of your premium you have not yet used. If you or we cancel your motor insurance
at any time, we will automatically cancel any motoring legal protection or breakdown assistance
cover purchased with it."

cant see there problem tbh

Ian

matt1chelski
07-11-06, 02:42 PM
as jack said, stop the direct debit, and explane it to the bank, With all the policys i have ended, they have just told me to stop the direct debit and send the cert back.

craig green
09-11-06, 12:13 PM
I'm going through this with Adrian Sucks.

They want proof Ive sold the vehicle because I said I was selling it. They said that Sorn declaration or proof of scrapping etc.

As for continuing taking the money, thats just wrong. Go through the bank & it should get resolved. Insurance is essentially thin air IMO & companies shouldnt have issues with refunds bar maybe a tenner(max) for admin fees.

Robbing B@$tar*s!

Jack
09-11-06, 02:01 PM
Banks are only allowed to charge fees which are directly proportionate to their costs - so if you get charged say ?30 for going ?10 overdrawn you can rightly claim the charges back, as it hasn't cost the bank ?30. I wonder if that applies to insurance? I can't imagine it actually costs the insurance companies hardly anything to cancel a policy early.