PDA

View Full Version : GSi master cylinder

dannyb
04-11-06, 11:55 AM
I have J plate GSi calipers, discs and pads on my mk1 1.2 Merit. When the brakes are bled, they quickly go soggy again (in some instances overnight), but they just reach a point where they aren't dangerous but arent that effective, not getting any worse. I have changed the fluid twice now and Im wondering if I maybe need a GSi master cylinder instead of the 1.2 merit one. If the brakes stayed how they feel after a bleed (much better than standard ones), I'd be more than happy as the brakes are currently no better than when I had the standard ones on.

Adam
04-11-06, 02:29 PM
Are the calipers fitted right way up?
Bleed nipples pointing up?

Gsi master cylinder is same as 1.2 one, only the servo is bigger, but that wont make any difference to brake performance.

How did you bleed them? 2man Pedal method?, you may have damaged/flipped the master cylinder seals.

dannyb
04-11-06, 04:30 PM
The calipers have the bleed nipples facing upwards, Is there any way of checking the reservoir seals, or are they cheap enough/enough of a quick job just to buy a new set and put them in?

Adam
04-11-06, 04:38 PM
New MC job if the seals have flipped, but that would give no pedal, at all.

But do the brakes work sometimes, then overnight there fooked?

Are the bleed nipples, and fluid pipe connections all tight, and not dragging air in>

mikey14sr
04-11-06, 08:18 PM
you have been bleeding the rears aswell haven't you? have you checked the adjustment of the rear shoes?

dannyb
05-11-06, 10:39 AM
New MC job if the seals have flipped, but that would give no pedal, at all.

But do the brakes work sometimes, then overnight there fooked?

Are the bleed nipples, and fluid pipe connections all tight, and not dragging air in>

I have pedal, it just goes soggy in the space of a few days rather than months. I'll check all the connections and nipples, how tight can you go on the nipples, I'm afraid of breaking them if I go too tight!
Mikey - The rears have been bled and I have recently adjusted the shoes.

If this doesn't work, I'll have to admit defeat and go to a garage, I dont have time to be doing this with all my essays from uni.