PDA

View Full Version : Still cutting out!

L14MNP
02-11-06, 10:57 PM
I posted here a few weeks back that my 14SR has a tendency to (occasionaly backfire and) cut out.

The problem wasn't so frequent at first, but over the last 1500? miles it has gotten to the point that the car is now unusable!

changed plugs/leads checked dizzy cap (cleaned up) and rotor arm, both the rotor arm and the dis cap looked fairly new anyway.

It is a case of it will travel about 500 yds then cut out, doesn't fire straight up afterwards either.

Someone suggested fuel pump could be the cause before, how much are these and where are they on the engine! All this carb malarky is new to me lol

Fuel lines are def OK as I have just renewed them, tank is very new also, no leaks etc :confused:

Cheers, Liam

John
02-11-06, 11:24 PM
Does your car have an ignition amp? could well be the dizzy too, worth checking.....

L14MNP
02-11-06, 11:26 PM
Ta mate

Is that the cylindrical thing - bosch? - behind l/h headlamp mate?

Any ideas how much i'm looking at for a dizzy and/or ign amp?

Or what other vaux i could get 2nd hand ones from, Astra etc?

Need to fix over next few days or I'm screwed for llateshift on Monday lol

Wee_Watsi
03-11-06, 06:16 PM
Same thing happened to my 1.0 a couple of weeks ago. I changed the fuel pump and it fixed it, also made it a little nippier. A faulty fuel pump starves the enging of fuel and sometimes will not fire up right away after cutting out. on the 1400 SR i think the fuel pump is at the left of the cam housing but in my 1.0 OHV engine it went through the engine block. A fuel pump may cost anything between ?15 - ?30, not sure tho as i still haven paid for mine lol. i also inserted and in-line fuel filter, ensures clean petrol is entering the engine. Hope that helps lad.

Wee_Watsi

L14MNP
03-11-06, 06:37 PM
Sure does help mate!

i'm gona dig out the Haynes and source a replacement pump now :thumb:

Hope it does make it nippier because it dissapoints me, for being 70 odd bhp? and fully stripped lol

Cheers dude :cool:

SRI crazy
09-11-06, 02:41 PM
a fuel pump off a 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 1.6 are all the same so any will fit, am did u check that it wasnt a coil problem before u would go 2 the bother of changing the fuel pump?

L14MNP
09-11-06, 02:52 PM
It was the carb mate! Got a 13SR one for free and fitted that!

a fuel pump off a 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 1.6 are all the same so any will fit, am did u check that it wasnt a coil problem before u would go 2 the bother of changing the fuel pump?

GTE TURBZ
09-11-06, 03:58 PM
i had the same problem with my gte, and it was the relay, not sure if it was the fuel pump rely, but if it is, might be worth checking that before you go changing the fuel pump.

L14MNP
09-11-06, 04:02 PM
I don't have a fuel pump relay as I have a mechanical fuel pump mate!

GTE TURBZ
09-11-06, 04:46 PM
Ok no worries mate, probably is fuel starvation via the fuel pump then, good luck!