PDA

View Full Version : To those with really lowered Novas...

Shaun_O'Donnell
02-11-06, 07:01 PM
What manufacturer of springs are you using or would recommend.

I bought a bilstein kit (including lowered dampners) last week and fitted it to my car. It's lowered the car 50mm at the front and 30-40mm at the rear, but I want it lower. The car is only a 1.0 litre, but I want it scraping the road. I've heard of Novas lowered in excess of 60mm, but how are they achieving this? I just want to change the springs rather than fork out for a whole new kit and want to avoid coilovers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Shaun.

Jack
02-11-06, 07:03 PM
www.coilsprings.co.uk can make you up some custom springs, although if you want it super low you'll need coilovers really.

Shaun_O'Donnell
02-11-06, 07:05 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you....

Shaun.

Iain
02-11-06, 07:18 PM
www.coilsprings.co.uk (http://www.coilsprings.co.uk) can make you up some custom springs, although if you want it super low you'll need coilovers really.

If your Corsa rolls like a jelly when your doing donuts in Tesco’s car park - steal a mobile and phone us first lollol

Just out of curiousity, do Coilsprings supply you with new springs or modify existing ones?

Adam
02-11-06, 07:42 PM
New

Shaun_O'Donnell
03-11-06, 12:35 PM
What drop would a set of GTE/GSI -60mm springs give a base model Nova?

Anyone done this?

Jack
03-11-06, 12:40 PM
If its quoted as lowering a GSi/GTE 60mm, it would lower a base model around 65mm - thats assuming I'm right in thinking the sporty ones had standard springs which were approximately 5mm lower than the base models.

New
I could be wrong, but I think Coilsprings.co.uk can rewind/reshape existing springs as well?

Shaun_O'Donnell
03-11-06, 12:49 PM
I thought the GTE's & GSI's were lower than the base models by more than that, but never had one so don't really know.

I got a quote from coilspring.co.uk for a set of -80mm springs for ?125 incl delivery + VAT. They were very fast to respond to my email. Delivery within 12 days from receipt of order (posted with cheque).

There's a set of GTE/GSI -60mm springs on eBay just now for (I think) ?56. Was just going to get them and see what happened, but I can't make my mind up.

I'll maybe just post pics of the car up and see what you guys think.

Cheers for the help.

Shaun

craig green
03-11-06, 01:16 PM
I'd gety the springs from coilsprings.co.uk if you want the car to handle?

Otherwise get the pogo springs from fleabay. Dont really see race teams save budget on the handling...

Ste L
03-11-06, 02:03 PM
my old nova had 80mm rear coilsprings on it on the back
was quite low

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/carimages/5031/PICT0078.JPG

but if you want low, use coilovers, as people have said..

this is my corsa at the min....

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/carimages/5083/PICT0149.JPG

45_CB
03-11-06, 02:44 PM
Coil springs made my AVO 60mm springs to 100mm front and 120mm back for ?80!

provide your own springs and its cheaper

novaboyopr
04-11-06, 01:51 PM
i bodged the springs on my girlfriends nova when she couldn't afford coilovers i compressed the springs in a press to 130mm high then applied some gentle heat i.e and oxeseterlyne torch on the hottest flame you can get and it shrunk them down put them in the car and it is lower than wot coilovers can lower it by aint that good at handling but she only wanted it for looks

L14MNP
05-11-06, 12:15 AM
Here's hoping they don't snap as my mate did that to some Almera ones...

burgo
05-11-06, 05:29 PM
i bodged the springs on my girlfriends nova when she couldn't afford coilovers i compressed the springs in a press to 130mm high then applied some gentle heat i.e and oxeseterlyne torch on the hottest flame you can get and it shrunk them down put them in the car and it is lower than wot coilovers can lower it by aint that good at handling but she only wanted it for lookswow your really smart wish i had thought of that

General Baxter
05-11-06, 05:36 PM
i bodged the springs on my girlfriends nova when she couldn't afford coilovers i compressed the springs in a press to 130mm high then applied some gentle heat i.e and oxeseterlyne torch on the hottest flame you can get and it shrunk them down put them in the car and it is lower than wot coilovers can lower it by aint that good at handling but she only wanted it for looks

sounds like something i would do lol

ste porter
08-11-06, 06:56 PM
sounds bodged lol

Nobby
11-11-06, 07:38 PM
pmsl you really love her ay mate!!lol

henny
12-11-06, 04:12 PM
if u lower 60 al round wil u need 2 modify the arches if u hav 16s??

craig green
14-11-06, 12:54 PM
if u lower 60 al round wil u need 2 modify the arches if u hav 16s??

depends on the wheels. You ideally want them with an et (offset) of 49mm. Anything less than, makes them stick out by the difference in mm.

With passengers it will almost certainly scrub.

Jos
14-11-06, 02:27 PM
I'm looking for happy medium between quality and budget coilovers, which would you guys suggest? And, what prices would they be?

Cheers :thumb:

craig green
14-11-06, 03:26 PM
In my experience there is no point or sense in cutting corners with suspension. If it turns out to be crap you will just wish you never bought it & the car will be less fun to drive than a 3 wheeled Saxo.

I can speak with experience here. There may be some kits that are cheaper than other alternatives, but you pay for the development and quality of materials when buying GAZ or AVo's etc.

I wouldnt gamble my money on Pi or FK etc, as you wont get it back when you moan its too bouncy etc.

Shaun_O'Donnell
14-11-06, 07:38 PM
Now that I've driven the car more since fitting my kit I'm not too bothered about wanting to go any lower. I have since, fitted a mk1 SR front bumper and mk2 rear saloon deep bumper (I don't think I mentioned on my original thread that it was a saloon) and it doesn't look too bad. The handling's been further tightened up with an SR anti-roll bar and poly bushes were ordered today. And I am on the search for a set of GTE/GSI side skirts to make it look closer to the ground.

If I get a decent days weather I'll get some pics up. And if I do decide to lower it further it'll be with this:
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i203/Shaun_ODonnell/rear.jpg
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i203/Shaun_ODonnell/front.jpg

But I will need to fit a bigger engine as the 1.0 engine fitted, even though it's only done just over 8k, would struggle with the weight. But then the bigger engine would pull the front down a wee bit more aswell. hmmmmmmmmmmm

Jack
14-11-06, 07:51 PM
Ooo, 2 or 4 door saloon? How much did you lower it by; don't suppose you have a pic of it do you?

Shaun_O'Donnell
14-11-06, 08:24 PM
2 door, just posted a pic up in the obsession thread.

Lowered 50mm at the front and 40mm at the rear.