PDA

View Full Version : engine gasket help

SRlew
02-11-06, 05:14 PM
right im rebuild my engine onto a 1600 bottom end next week and obviously want/need new gaskets.

i remember a while back in one of my threads i think bottlethroddy said somthing about a good head gasket, what was it? lol and wheres the best place to get them?

also do i need to use gasket seal stuff on anything?

info apprieciated, lew

Adam
02-11-06, 05:31 PM
Cometic headgasket. Re-usable etc i think.

Tbh, on a 1600 i'd just stick with a proper GM headgasket. I used a ****e pattern part head set on mine, yeah it was cheap, bit it showed, the headgasket had no Top/Oben mark and felt crap compared to the old Gm one,Lol.
Its been fine tho, for about 3k miles so far.

You will need a headgasket set, inlet,exhaust gasket, headbolts etc.

You'll need a torque wrench.

And you'll need gasket/joining compound for the cam housing to head seal, and i use a bit on the rocker cover seal.

SRlew
02-11-06, 05:45 PM
is it just head bolts to change? any others?

got me torque wrench at the ready lol
might look into this Cometic headgasket then, if not i'll just go and get a GM one,

and on the camhousing to head part, is there a gasket that goes there? or is it just gasket compound? if theres a gasket whhat side do you put the compound on?

cheers, lew

Adam
02-11-06, 05:49 PM
Aye, the camhousing doesn't have a gasket, just gasket sealent between it and the head.
Just the headbolts need to be replaced, compared new to old and you'll see how the old ones have stretched ;)

You might want to change cambelt whilst your there, seeing as it will be all removed anyway.

SRlew
02-11-06, 05:59 PM
ah right nice one i'll go and buy parts this week end then, then on tuesday it'll be out and thursday the rebuild will begin.

yer i'll get a new cambelt aswell. oh and water pumps! right mine started pouring out a few days ago. is that just another gasket on them?

Adam
02-11-06, 06:03 PM
New waterpump will come with a gasket.
Make sure you get the right length cambelt.

You want the early 1.4 one if yours doesn't run the belt auto-tensioner.

SRlew
02-11-06, 06:05 PM
right a belt of an early 1.4, will that be right then, it'll be the 1600 bottom end on the c14se head.

Adam
02-11-06, 06:08 PM
Yeah, i think my belt was for a 1989 1.4 engine.

You've picked the coldest weather this year as the time to fit a new engine :p Lol

SRlew
02-11-06, 06:19 PM
alright cheers fella!

lol i know yer, well the engine was dead anyway, it was running real bad and it wont start now lol and insurance, tax, mot were up yesterday so makes sence as i can spend all my money on sorting the car now, it doesnt help that iv a cold sketchy shed to build my engine in, i'll have to put a light in there i think so i can actually get some work done PMSL lol

Adam
02-11-06, 06:41 PM
Meh, i built my engine in my back garden lol

It was summer tho.

Whats dead about the engine?
You want to be sure your not fitting knackered parts onto your new block.

Matt2107
03-11-06, 10:34 AM
it doesnt help that iv a cold sketchy shed to build my engine in, i'll have to put a light in there i think so i can actually get some work done PMSL lol

Screwfix direct do a cable reel and twin halogen flood light for ?34.99 incl delivery

I brought one and can light up the entire street. :D

Only problem is the electric meter spins like a biatch.

SRlew
04-11-06, 08:22 AM
PMSL might look into somthing like that or more like some household lamps out there so i dont burn the meter out from it spinning so fast

SRlew
04-11-06, 08:33 AM
Meh, i built my engine in my back garden lol

It was summer tho.

Whats dead about the engine?
You want to be sure your not fitting knackered parts onto your new block.

well im not sure if any thing was f**ked or not, just when evr you start it, it ran real bad and wouldnt rev over 2k then it'd rev roughly to about 4k then be fine but when you drove it aswell it wouldnt go past 2k with out putting up a fight. but then after a drive it'd be srt of alright, but apparently my brothers mates fiesta with same sort of spec is like it, and said it was down to the cold, so im unsure :confused: what you recon?

but it gives me an excuse to put a 1.6 bottom end on, fix the water pump, cambelt and learn to build an engine sort of lol

mowgli
04-11-06, 09:03 AM
sounds like a major timing/ignition problem