PDA

View Full Version : And all wanted was a new tire...

Novadex
02-11-06, 03:23 PM
up the garage i trotted for two new tires, simple enough. i left the garage with two new tires and one mangled side skirt.
I droped the car off and decided to take a quick walk to the shop... as i got back the car was half jaked up and my side skirt was being forced up the side of the car, cracking all the filler and paint around the top of it. i had to yell stop to the tit before he realised what he was doing, he then had the front to say it was allready cracked and he wasnt responsible. :mad::mad::mad:
Any one have any ideas on how i can go about this? or should i just give up because i cant proove anything? :wall:

Adam
02-11-06, 03:28 PM
You can't prove anything, unless you have a pic of the car entering the garage with no damage.

Thats the reason i never leave my car in a garage on its own, get monkeys looking around it jacking it up under the fuel tank or somewhere stupid.

SRlew
02-11-06, 03:30 PM
i take my wheels off and get my brother to take me to the garage for new tyres lol, because i dont want anything like that happening lol

Jack
02-11-06, 03:59 PM
Did he jack the car up on the sideskirt? If you can access the proper jacking point without touching the skirt you'd probably have half a case, i.e. he didn't use his equipment on your car properly.

Problem on my hatch was the sideskirts were quite low so you couldn't slide a jack in under it very well, so I just used to use the crappy scissor jacks for stuff like changing a wheel.

Matt2107
02-11-06, 04:02 PM
I think I will have that issue Jack.

I also had a similar thing happen with my GTE side skirts on my SR.
Luckily I had riveted the clips on so it just popped off.

Novadex - I think in this case your only real option would be to ask to speak to the manager and hope he takes pity and offers you some sort of compo... I wouldnt hold you breath though.

Novadex
02-11-06, 05:35 PM
He had two types of Trolly jacks, the first one was more slanted and even on the jacking point it hit the skirt. The second was more horizontal and jacked it with no problem. I can proove that the jack would damage the car but i cant proove that it did... I think ill go have a word with the manager and sulk, you never no lol. cheers boys

Joe

NOV4_SPORT
02-11-06, 09:56 PM
dirty *******s, i hate giving my car to any garage, cause they just dont give a ****, its not their property, so why should they care, i will tell you why, cause its my ****ing car and it deserves respect damn it ( RANT OVER ), hope you get this sorted mate

Lee
02-11-06, 10:18 PM
Always take your wheels off yourself and take them to pikey tyre shops in another car. My Vento gotmullered by a monkey with a jack!

Theres a notice in my local one. 'Experienced tyre technicians required'

lol lol

L14MNP
02-11-06, 10:23 PM
My Vento

VR6 dude? :cool:

There's a white one around here with mk4 golf headlamps, looks Ok TBH!

Also seen a red VR6 on venoms lol Kinda suit the age of the car though!

lee 16v
02-11-06, 10:36 PM
i would try talking to the head man and say if you dont pay up your going to the C.A.B. and see what they do if they tell you to feck off, there is not much you can do, we ehad this with someone at my work, we fitted a silly big bumper and they went in for some work somewhere else and they smashed it, they wouldnt pay so he didnt pay for the work, there took him to cort and he had to pay them up and court costs as well.

Lee
03-11-06, 10:00 PM
VR6 dude? :cool:

There's a white one around here with mk4 golf headlamps, looks Ok TBH!

Also seen a red VR6 on venoms lol Kinda suit the age of the car though!

Nope, she was only a 2.0 GL, but with the TSR pack C head and Schrick camshaft, it was no slouch. Only had it for 8 months. I do miss it :(

Ash
04-11-06, 01:39 AM
i've had such a nightmare with tyreshops, took a huge chunk out of one of my old wheels but didnt find out till the MOT later that year, and when i had my new wheels fitted :embrassed: they drove it out with the brand new tyres rubbing (and bending) the arch. Couldn't do anything at the time as... well its a very long store, basically i now take my wheels off and drive down in dads trany vansit.

btw for vento lovers, here my mates:

http://www.no-rice.com/forum/index.php?p=vt&tid=16752

Ash

Phil_G
04-11-06, 11:28 AM
Have a look at the sideskirts before you go and see if there are any marks corresponding to jack/skirt interface.

Get pictures and measurments and then hopefully they will tie in to one of the jacks on their depot floor.

Present them with the evidence and then ask them to reconsider the "wasn't responsible" statement.

Ben
05-11-06, 11:44 AM
I just get my mate to do all my tyres he is a mobile fitter so comes to us, Saves so much hassle.

Novadex
06-11-06, 02:59 PM
nope, no luck. There is a slight Jack mark at the bottom of the skirt, but i still cant proove anything. I gess ya just gotta lern from ya mistakes... like he will :)

Chris
06-11-06, 07:15 PM
I too would do as others have said, remove the wheels and take them down, or if you have to take the car stay with it.

IMO tyre fitters are only failed mechanics anyway getting paid minimum wage, why should they care?

ade
06-11-06, 10:15 PM
was it a brand names garage (eg kwik fit)? If so you may have a good case as most "reputable" brand based garages have complaints/compensation systems set up. Ask for the head office address and the name of the monkey that worked on the car along with the garage managers name. Stick it in writing to the head office along with photos and times/dates the work was done as well as copies of the invoices and advise youve copied in trading standards.

See if that will shift them. If they damage your car their insurance should cover it.

All its gonna cost you is a stamp

Matt2107
07-11-06, 12:57 PM
was it a brand names garage (eg kwik fit)? If so you may have a good case as most "reputable" brand based garages have complaints/compensation systems set up. Ask for the head office address and the name of the monkey that worked on the car along with the garage managers name. Stick it in writing to the head office along with photos and times/dates the work was done as well as copies of the invoices and advise youve copied in trading standards.

See if that will shift them. If they damage your car their insurance should cover it.

All its gonna cost you is a stamp

Its worth a punt

Novadex
07-11-06, 03:46 PM
It was a ce-tires garage, i supose thats a "brand name" garage. ill get on the case. To be honest i would rather they paid for it then me lol ill report back!
thanx :)