PDA

View Full Version : Changeing V5 logbook for bigger engine

yellnova
02-11-06, 01:07 PM
I'm noticing quite a lot of 2L engined nova's for sale recently where owners have not changed the log books. Most are still showing standard 1.1L engines.

Does this mean that some of these people were also insuring them as 1.1L novas and paying 1.1 road tax.

And are they now trying to sell them because its all gone computerised and the MOT will now record the true size of the engines making their insurance and road tax void?

decwasere
02-11-06, 01:09 PM
Vauxhall never made a 1.1 nova....

yellnova
02-11-06, 01:18 PM
alright 1.2 then my mistake

Jack
02-11-06, 01:25 PM
Maybe, maybe not. TBH I wouldn't worry about it; if I bought a car with the incorrect size engine on the log book, the first thing I'd do is change it. Its a relatively straight forward process to inform the DVLA iirc.

A lot of people used to use 1.0/1.2 shells purely because there were more of them, and might have been in better condition after being (more likely) owned by older people.

Novadex
02-11-06, 03:14 PM
Maybe, maybe not. TBH I wouldn't worry about it; if I bought a car with the incorrect size engine on the log book, the first thing I'd do is change it. Its a relatively straight forward process to inform the DVLA iirc.

its not that straight foward if you dont have an engineers report tho?

Jack
02-11-06, 03:30 PM
its not that straight foward if you dont have an engineers report tho?
Thats only if the insurance require an engineers report.

From the DVLA site:

Changing your vehicle details on your registration certificate

If you make any changes to your vehicle or any of the details shown on your registration document or certificate are incorrect, eg colour, engine, fuel type (propulsion), replace or modify the chassis/monocoque bodyshell, cylinder capacity, seating capacity or weight of a goods vehicle, you must tell the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA).

You should notify any changes or corrections by completing the 'changes section' on your vehicle registration document (V5) or certificate (V5C)
For changes other than those listed in the 'changes section', you should underline the details that have changed and write the new information next to them together with a covering letter explaining the changes
Sign and date the declaration box
Send the registration document or certificate to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BA
Following major changes your vehicle may be called in for inspection by a DVLA local office

Changes that may affect the cost of vehicle tax
Changes to the cylinder capacity (engine size)

If you increase the engine size you do not need to produce any evidence

Source (http://direct.gov.uk/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/ChangesToYourRegistrationCertificate/ChangingDetailsArticles/fs/en?CONTENT_ID=4022054&chk=tdnenk)

Only need to provide evidence if you decrease the capacity of the engine.

Adam
02-11-06, 03:30 PM
Dont need en engineers report when increasing engine size.
Just fill in new CC, and engine number. Sorted.

If you decrease the engine size you need a report/evidence, who ever decreases engine size tho? lol

Edit-Damn, jack beat me,Lol.

Philsutton
02-11-06, 07:44 PM
You dont need an engineers report for log book. Only some insurers ask for it. I just told mine i was a super duber engineer and i did it all myself and they were happy enough.