PDA

View Full Version : rust!!!

greg1.4
02-11-06, 11:22 AM
the nova that i am doing up i has a hole on the sill about 10cm along the way and 3 cm's wide. Will this fix? as i am short of money, i would rather try and plate it up.

Thanks

Matt2107
02-11-06, 11:56 AM
With any rust you will need to cut back to bare metal.

The problem with this is small holes often turn into gashes.
Shouldn't be too much of a problem to do if you can weld, otherwise your looking at ?50+ for a local garage depending on where the hole is.

If they need to move anything to get to it expect to double that.

greg1.4
02-11-06, 12:27 PM
well i have hammered all the rust of and grinded the bad bits out and my dad (who was a mechanic for 10 years) and did body repairs is going to weld a plate over it i think. Then i will just put underseal over it. Also the raches are fine its just down near where it joins the sill is rotten. Is it a good idea to repair this or would i better to buy a set of arches? Thanks

Also how much is a lower front panel for a nova mk2?

nova ian
02-11-06, 12:34 PM
I saw a full front pannel on Ebay for ?50 buy it now, last night.

Its not a genuine GM part, but ive hadone on mine, and one on my previous Nova and both went on fine.

Ian

greg1.4
02-11-06, 12:41 PM
i am only looking for the lower part. I cant imagine it will be any more than ?40 from a motor factor.

Matt2107
02-11-06, 01:58 PM
Try a search for sel imperial.

I would recommend getting some grey stripe seam sealer for after you've patched it. Then put underseal over the top just to make sure.

It's great that your dad will do it for you... much better than a garage doing it. :D

greg1.4
02-11-06, 02:50 PM
also when i took the wings off, i pulled the inner wings and i ripped a big crack in it and has a hole. Will plates fix this?

greg1.4
04-11-06, 04:01 PM
i am getting my new panels this weekend and i am just wondering what the ebst way to put them on is. For the arches and sill do u have to cut the old sill out or just weld the new skin over the top?

mikey14sr
04-11-06, 08:24 PM
best to cut out all the rotten metal first, and treat it with rust preventative. When I replace sills I allways cut as much out as possible, leaving a lip to weld to along the top, but the bottom I grind off completely untill only the lip for the floor and the inner sill is left, removing all of the outer sill.

A rough sectional pic of how I do it,
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v689/mickyd79/sillpic1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v689/mickyd79/sillpic2.jpg

greg1.4
05-11-06, 03:51 PM
ok cheers.

lee 16v
05-11-06, 03:59 PM
m8 if your dad is "my dad (who was a mechanic for 10 years) and did body repairs" why you asking us when you can just let your dad get on with it or ask him, just seems funny to me thats all