PDA

View Full Version : Thermostat??

Spudly
02-11-06, 12:02 AM
Think my thermostat not workin as well as it should be as my temp needle rarely (if ever) rises above the blue mark at bottom of guage when driving, when stationary it rises as it would normally, and me blowers are just above luke warm when driving too, and accordingly hotter as the temp rises when stood, so im guessing its the stat, err where is it on a 1200 spi lump and arent they a bugger to do???

Adam
02-11-06, 03:05 PM
Sounds like the thermostat is jammed open.
There a right bas**d to do on a 1200i, as the thermostat housing is behind the cambelt cover.
So basically you have to remove the cambelt, entire cambelt covers, cam sprocket, to get to the thermostat.

SRlew
02-11-06, 03:19 PM
are they behind the cambelt cover on all engines?

Adam
02-11-06, 03:29 PM
On the early engines(1.2/1.3) you can remove it without taking the cover etc off, as vauxhall kindly made a gap in the rear cambelt cover to access the thermostat.

On all the later engines(1.4SR/Spi/Sri, Gsi etc) they are behind the cambelt cover, and required the cambelt, sprockets etc removing.

SRlew
02-11-06, 03:32 PM
ah right cheers, now i now for when the engine gets rebuilt.

stuartp
02-11-06, 06:26 PM
LONG LIVE THE NOVA knows to much!! he he

SRlew
02-11-06, 06:28 PM
LONG LIVE THE NOVA knows to much!! he he

:thumb: second that! lol

Adam
02-11-06, 06:48 PM
:p

greg1.4
02-11-06, 08:35 PM
i had the same problem a few weeks ago. I have no thermostat in mine anymore as i dont need it, and the needle never rises above the blue and the quarter mark.

Stoo
02-11-06, 09:24 PM
Get an XE, there nice and easily placed on the front!! and I 3rd the quote that LLTN knows too much!!!

GEEK!! LOL

Lee
02-11-06, 09:57 PM
i had the same problem a few weeks ago. I have no thermostat in mine anymore as i dont need it, and the needle never rises above the blue and the quarter mark.

You say you dont need it, but actually you do. it means your engine is probably running cool most of the time which means your drinking more fuel. Cool running stats only really help track cars or turbos which run hotter.

greg1.4
02-11-06, 10:06 PM
i dont because i use it for autotesting and track days.I dont use the car for anything else so it doesnt matter. Will be going to the scrap when it nackers up anyway.lol

Lee
02-11-06, 10:13 PM
lol, well there you are then! I was getting at it being useless on a road car!

Spudly
03-11-06, 12:51 AM
Ooh lovely, oh well i guess its an excuse to throw a cambelt at it then, ill get one of our techies at work to do it as a guvvy then i think, bugger better drop oil n filter n service her too, oh well lol!!
And i dont car if Longlivethenova knows too much he was obviously put her to educate the masses on the finer points of nova mechanics hehe, cheers tho peeps much appreciated as always!!

Adam
03-11-06, 12:52 AM
It will be fine without, just take longer get up to normal temp.
It should/will reach normal temp, eventually,Lol.

Lee
03-11-06, 09:22 AM
It will be fine without, just take longer get up to normal temp.
It should/will reach normal temp, eventually,Lol.

yeah, when you get where you going lol

garyc
03-11-06, 05:49 PM
You do actually need a thermostat or some kind of restrictor plate as this keeps the water pressure up in the block to prevent over heating. You can either remove the "statbit" from the thermostat or cut a suitable sized piece of ally plate and put a 15mm hole in the middle!