PDA

View Full Version : decking the block - raising compression

olidaviesuk
31-10-06, 11:49 AM
Hi All,

Just a quick question, for those who have already done it, on the 1600 GSi/GTE engine. When you deck the block, is there a clearence issue requiring the pistons to be pocketed? Is there an amount you can safely take off without any problem?

Also what would the best head be to use on a 1600 block?

C16SE - standard
E16SE - gasflowed, ported and polished
1.4SRi - standard

Cheers

Oli

Nova.Stockhatch
31-10-06, 02:43 PM
Hmm, well I would have thought you should be ok skiming the block without pocketing (afterall, in standard form these cars dont suffer with valve to piston damage if the cambelt should snap) So in theory, there should be a bit of scope there!

E16SE Ported & polished head sounds good! (if only they would allow this in my racing regs....;) )

olidaviesuk
31-10-06, 03:06 PM
Thats pretty much what I was thinking about the pocketing, the guys on here seem to have tried everything at one point or another :D

Have a feeling that even a E16SE head with large valves isn't as good as the standard GSi C16SE head anyway as it has the round inlet ports rather than the square one ones the E16 has, mainly put it up here for comparison purposes :roll:

Though I have a feeling that the 1.4SRi head would give huge gains without breaking (ahem) the rules as such! ;) As higher compression ratio, better ports and better flow rate! also bigger valves?

Nova.Stockhatch
31-10-06, 03:12 PM
mainly put it up here for comparison purposes :roll:

:thumb: lol

Stuart
31-10-06, 03:16 PM
erm the e16se head is the same as the c16se head...... well i say the same, maybe a CR difference lol. its the 16SV head that is the crappy one that you might aswell bin.

in essence the c14se,c16se and e16se heads are identicle.......

Nova.Stockhatch
31-10-06, 03:22 PM
c14se,c16se and e16se heads are identicle.......

Thats solves that problem then Oli! lol

Anyway, I think you'll find that these novas are very powerful in a straight line in standard form compared to the XR2's etc. So as youve already got MBE management ..... You should be laughing:) .

olidaviesuk
31-10-06, 03:56 PM
Cool, Thanks Stu, thats cleared that little mystery up!

Yep, think i'll spend the money on the suspension instead, getting a head to that kind of spec would cost serious money anyway.. think i'll raise the compression slightly and leave it at that ;) my own worst enemy can't stop myself constantly tweaking etc...

:thumb:

Adam
31-10-06, 04:15 PM
Sri head(c14se) has higher compression than e16se, i think C16se is also higher.
E16 head will also have the EGR ****e.