PDA

View Full Version : new MOT requirments

draper
31-10-06, 11:31 AM
right then, with regards to the new computerised MOT what happens with engine swaps ?? as i understand it you have an enfine conversion and that car is out a car needing a CAT test you have to have a CAT test done ?? yes/no ?? also how do you prove this or can they check engine numbers on the computer ??

L14MNP
31-10-06, 11:55 AM
IIRC it goes on which is older mate, car or engine and the onus is on you to prove the age of the engine with a copy of the V5 from the donor car?

Try this one out for size, the engine I currently have in my Primera has never been registered although it is from 1990/1 it is an old display engine from the factory in Sunderland, never done a single ,mile etc. I stripped/checked and rebuilt it. What am I going to do when it comes to proving I don't need a CAT test for an MOT, as the car is 1998, and obvioulsy there is no V5 for the engine number and the DVLA have no previous record of it! Although I now have it regsitered - what a ball ache!

Saloony
31-10-06, 01:46 PM
You'll have to see the factory for the year of the engine on that one, written conformation and all that.

Matt2107
31-10-06, 01:51 PM
Or find a "friendly" mot'er

Jack
31-10-06, 02:11 PM
Draper, assuming this relates to your car, its a Mk1 isn't it? Shouldn't require a CAT test.

MOT guide says:

Vehicles fitted with a different engine
Test according to which is older , engine or vehicle.

eg. A 1995 car fitted with a 1991 engine (of whatever make), test to 1991 standards for emission purposes.

Note: The onus is on the vehicle presenter to prove engine age
Doesn't state what is suitable evidence of the engine age though. Letter from manufacturer should suffice... does the V5 have the engine number on it? It'd be useless without it I'd have thought as there'd be no way to tie that specific engine to the car featured on the V5

Adam
31-10-06, 04:10 PM
Had mine MOTd last week, the tester saw the engine number/code and that it didn't have a C in front of it, C=catalyst.
So that was enough for him to put mine on a none cat test.

If you car is pre 1992, you wont need a CAT with any engine you fit.

draper
31-10-06, 04:43 PM
so my '95 C20XE in my nova, which is E-reg wont need a CAT test ??

Adam
31-10-06, 04:45 PM
No

draper
31-10-06, 04:46 PM
ok, thanks folks

draper
31-10-06, 04:47 PM
Or find a "friendly" mot'er

i dont think theres such a thing round here tbh

Adam
31-10-06, 04:52 PM
Theres no such thing as a friendly MOTer anywhere, LOL

Saloony
31-10-06, 10:46 PM
Theres no such thing as a friendly MOTer anywhere, LOLIm friendly..........

when hand ya a failure sheetlol

L14MNP
01-11-06, 12:58 AM
LOL I know a couple I guess, but I wanted it all legal and above board, given that I have built this car over the last 2 years and everthing is new and/or uprated, just seems a shame to have a pikey MOT!
Will ask at the factory but seriously doubt they'll be able to help much, looks like my hands are tied!

craig green
01-11-06, 01:46 PM
Surely the engine designation (ie E16SE on a Nova) would be enough to validate it as Cat free? Shouldnt need an investigation or V5 from donor vehicle.

Its our fault for being picky about what tin shed we drive & what power plant goes in.

Adam
01-11-06, 02:58 PM
Surely the engine designation (ie E16SE on a Nova) would be enough to validate it as Cat free? Shouldnt need an investigation or V5 from donor vehicle.

It was in my case.

Martin
01-11-06, 04:21 PM
Dammit lol K Reg xe... Looks like i'l be puttin a cat on for mot be for i put my cuustom side exit on..

L14MNP
01-11-06, 10:24 PM

Its our fault for being picky about what tin shed we drive & what power plant goes in.

I wish mate, the engine code is SR20DE - this covers all 2.0 16v engines from 1990-2001 ish. Whenever Nissan made a 2.0 petrol it was called the sr20de :tard: *******s lol

superfu-kingnova
01-11-06, 11:00 PM
Dammit lol K Reg xe... Looks like i'l be puttin a cat on for mot be for i put my cuustom side exit on..

you will have to mate the 16v i just bought is a K reg , with an enormous cat' off a rover. lol and my engine is C20XE out of a late calibra .. thank god i got 10months on it :thumb: .

simonmarsden
01-11-06, 11:16 PM
i used to work in an mot centre with the computer and from what i understand, the computer gives you loads of options, asin model, how many doors etc etc until it gets the right spec as it was from standard..... even if its registered as a 2l, the computer will only accept its origional spec, which means unless the mot'er is freindly, itll get the emissions check it specifys on the sheet from the standard cars spec

Ben
04-11-06, 11:13 AM
so my '95 C20XE in my nova, which is E-reg wont need a CAT test ??

What the hell car had a XE fitted in 95' you must have the very last engine to come of the production road. Never known one fitted later than 94 and there rare enough,

I have NEVER had a Cat test done on a Nova EVER.

Nobby
04-11-06, 12:20 PM
lol its quite easy really on the mot all the mot'er dos is get the chassis number well they do at my place. We ask for the v5 so he can just read the chassis number and enter it on the computer. In no way has he ever read engine codes 2 match the v5 its 2 much hassle for them imo lol but every mot'er is different just pot luck id say lol:thumb: