PDA

View Full Version : Bigger Disks

Bogo
30-10-06, 06:33 PM
Hi, im looking to upgrade the front disks on my 1.2 Nova on a J plate. Ive just bought it and the disks are warped and there shoddy solids. I was thinkin of some GTE/GSI disks but i dont know whether the Caliper carriers are a straight swop. Has any1 done a conversion like and do u have any ideas of going the easiest way about this?

Cheers

Bogo

dannyb
30-10-06, 06:40 PM
Changing Nova GSi calipers and 236x20mm vented discs for your existing ones is an easy and cheap job. Better still, if you have 15" or bigger wheels, you can go for Astra GTE/GSi calipers with 256x24mm vented discs. these calipers are always in the for sale section of this site and making the swap is just as easy as swapping for Nova GSi calipers. The braking of these is excellent for a road going nova, the brakes pretty much dont fade, even when running standard GM discs and pads.

Also, removal of the calipers is a case of clamping and removing the brake hose from the caliper, then taking off the 2 dust covers on the back of the caliper and removing the bolts from behind these dust covers. Removal of the brake discs is now possible and is do able with a screwdriver and a bit of brute force. See section 9.7 of the haynes manual

Philsutton
30-10-06, 07:12 PM
I would go for the 2lt brakes 256mm discs as the nova ones are ****e full stop. Straight swap if you have the calipers , carriers and discs.

coochiSR
30-10-06, 08:18 PM
what about 1.6 GSI corsa one's, i heard they fit under 14" but you need the carrier, but if someone would clarify that thanks!
Dan

Bogo
04-11-06, 04:13 PM
Ive just got some 2.0 16v calipers from the scrapers ?20 and bought sum new disks and pads ?44 and there fitted nicley ta.

_JH_
06-11-06, 03:21 PM
what about 1.6 GSI corsa one's, i heard they fit under 14" but you need the carrier, but if someone would clarify that thanks!
Dan

That's true. You need Caliper, Carrier and obviously discs+pads. :)