PDA

View Full Version : Tapping noise!

Lucky Luke!
29-10-06, 01:18 AM
Tight, basically under hard acceleration my car makes a really loud tapping sound, it clears after about 3000rpm but then starts again when you change gear. it also does it when topping up your cruising speed. Its a really loud rattle that sounds like its coming from the top of the engine. Also i'm having trouble starting her, it takes a few goes before she fires up. Any ideas?

Adam
29-10-06, 03:34 PM
Does it do it if you rev it in neutral?

Is your oil level correct?

Could be worn cam/lifters/rockers, my old engine used to tap slightly till about 3.5k rpm when it stopped. Came back once you got to 3.5k rpm.

Lucky Luke!
30-10-06, 06:20 PM
Yeah it does it in neutral, its really annoying, the opinion seems to be summat to do with the cam area!

How did you sort yours?

Adam
30-10-06, 06:23 PM
I changed the entire top end, lol

Lucky Luke!
30-10-06, 06:29 PM
great! expensive was it? if not to bad i may do that!

Adam
30-10-06, 06:33 PM
Nar, didn't really cost anything, as the parts i fitted i ripped off my old mk3 astra. lol

First, make sure its nothing tapping somewhere, like exhaust manifold heatshield etc.

You might be ok with swapping the cam and rockers/thrust pads.
If you get a Draper rocker removal tool you'll do it without needing touch headbolts/headgasket too.

What engine is it?
1600 mpi 8v?

Lucky Luke!
30-10-06, 07:14 PM
dunno! where would i find the engine code?

Philsutton
30-10-06, 07:26 PM
had a similiar noise on a 1.3 fiesta on the way back from wales once, we thought it was just low on oil so stopped and topped it up. 5 miles later it spat a conrod and most of the engine all down the m1 lol

Adam
30-10-06, 07:29 PM
dunno! where would i find the engine code?
On the top edge of the block, by spark plug 4.

L14MNP
31-10-06, 01:36 PM
had a similiar noise on a 1.3 fiesta on the way back from wales once, we thought it was just low on oil so stopped and topped it up. 5 miles later it spat a conrod and most of the engine all down the m1 lol

Waste of 20 quid on oil! lol

In my experience of knocking noises, oil pump/big end failure isn't far behind and them Mr Con Rod likes to show his face on occasion lol

Lucky Luke!
31-10-06, 05:32 PM
Well in that case then has anyone got a a good 1.6 carb engine for sale????