PDA

View Full Version : Help with FD swap (WIP)

Atic
28-10-06, 02:37 PM
After reading the tech guide i started the job.

Got the 4.18 out of an old f10/5 in good condition. Now, some stuff wasn't clear enough for my english:tard:

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/8200/fd5smalldt5.jpg

Do i change everything including the castle nut (B)?

Just the big wheel with green arrow on it?

How much torque should i give to the big nut when putting everything back to place?

Note: the F13 is still un-harmed as i think i need to (somehow) get the castle nut exactly in theplace it was before.

I also need to know the torque to bolt the big wheel into the rest of the assemble. (i know, i know, found the guide too late...)

mowgli
28-10-06, 11:33 PM
item A will need the matching little gear from the gearbox shaft. you can keep the old item B.
When I last did a diff, I marked item B and counted how many times I turned it when I took it out, and then turned it back in the same number.

Stuart
30-10-06, 08:19 AM
or when refitting the big nut keep doing it up until the diff wont turn, then undo it until the diff can spin freely.

Atic
30-10-06, 09:57 PM
item A will need the matching little gear from the gearbox shaft.

You mean the f10 "little gear" that makes the engine power reach "A" changed into the F13?

Stoo
30-10-06, 10:19 PM
As in the crown wheel and Final drive

Little gear is the final drive gear

and the big wheel is the crown wheel on the diff!

Final drive transfers the power to the crownwheel, rotating the diff, in turn rotating the driveshafts and so on!

Stuart
31-10-06, 08:10 AM
NO.

The two gears are the Final Drive. The individual gears are The Pinon (little one) and Crown Wheel (big one).

Atic, yes the gear that makes the power get to A needs to be moved to the gear set you want to keep using.

Atic
31-10-06, 09:06 AM
Thank you both!

Stoo
31-10-06, 05:10 PM
I stand corrected!!