PDA

View Full Version : Stalling 1.2

dannyb
27-10-06, 01:33 AM
I have an '88 1.2 carb fed Nova, recently it has been running fine at idle from start up but once it gets warm it is stalling at idle, before this started it would just run at what seemed like 300-400 rpm and shake the mk1 dash to bits! I have changed the sparkplugs (all gapped to 0.7mm), put on new HT leads, a new dizzy cap and rotor arm and it is still doing it. Would you say its ignition related or a carb problem? When I changed the 8000 mile old spark plugs they were a pale grey/brown with no scorch marks. Too lean perhaps?

Adam
27-10-06, 01:47 AM
Sounds simple, but turn the idle up? Lol

Lee
27-10-06, 08:14 AM
When I changed the 8000 mile old spark plugs they were a pale grey/brown with no scorch marks. Too lean perhaps?

They sound ok to me. Might be some **** in the carb, take off the air box, Spray some carb cleaner or WD40 down the carb, and then get a mate to rev it, and stick your hand over the carb with a piece of cloth covering your palm and let the engine stall, that should dis lodge any crud.

But like LLTN said, if it was idling that low before, just turning up the idle should fix it.

dannyb
27-10-06, 12:01 PM
Thanks for the replies, I'll give it some carb cleaner today before work tonight. The idling is an on off problem, sometimes it idles fine, othertimes it doesnt so raising the idle would mean on a good day it idles too fast :( I'll give it a go if all else fails though.

Adam
27-10-06, 12:17 PM
The idle should be quicker when cold(choke half on)

adjust the idle so it idles at a normal speed when the engine is fully warmed up.