PDA

View Full Version : Choosing the right suspension

nova ian
26-10-06, 08:10 PM
Ive been looking all over at suspension kits, and reading endless threads about suspension, but I cant decide whats going to be best for the car, use and budget.

As you may have seen in my W.I.P thread I am building a nova XE. It will be used mainly for trackdays, and my budget for suspension is about ?500.

Now originally I started out looking at Avo coilover kits, but I have heard alot of mixed opinions about these, mainly concerning the front struts and problems with seals. However there are lots of people running these and seem to get on with them.

I have also looked at the Spax coilover kits, but not heard alot about these. Another setup I am thinking about are Bilstein premium sports, with the big pistons. These are not adjustable though and obviously this could be a factor if the damping is to soft etc, and I dont fancy buying several sets of different rated springs to get it right.

Sorry if this is a post that crops up alot, but would really appreciate some information and feedback on suspension kits people are using for trackday novas.

Many Thanks. Ian

Philsutton
26-10-06, 08:14 PM
Ive always used avo's, they have changed the design recently which i have on my corsa. Not had any problems with them yet and that includes getting some serious air on some hump back bridges lol. But if they do leak you can send them back an they will re charge them for free.

nova ian
26-10-06, 08:17 PM
Ive always used avo's, they have changed the design recently which i have on my corsa. Not had any problems with them yet and that includes getting some serious air on some hump back bridges lol. But if they do leak you can send them back an they will re charge them for free.

Do you know how much just novas charge for an avo setup phil?

Philsutton
26-10-06, 08:19 PM
Its ?580 fr the avos last time i checked. We also have some bilsteins coilovers in for ?600. We have loads of suspension ect.. Might be worth a pop down, can go through all you can get an that.

Lee
26-10-06, 09:52 PM
Cheapest way is to go to AVO directly, thats what I did, think mine were 560 including the 300lb springs.

This was a year ago though

Dar
27-10-06, 11:33 AM
As said above. Get the AVO's with 300lb front springs. You can specify the spring rate when you order from AVO. Also get some eccentric top mounts so that you can change the caster/camber as well.

Chris
27-10-06, 02:43 PM
or proflex

bieransri
27-10-06, 05:37 PM
are the avos a proper coilover unit at the back?

JJL
27-10-06, 06:35 PM
Yes mate they are. I've had AVO in the past and was slightly dissapointed i'm now running GAZ rear coilovers and LEDA front coilovers and the handling is spot on

bieransri
27-10-06, 06:46 PM
sorry if im hijacking but kinda goes with theme of the thread, where can gaz leda and avos be purchased from?

JJL
27-10-06, 07:22 PM
Protec 01772 633777