PDA

View Full Version : throttle bodies

chimp007_uk
26-10-06, 02:30 PM
hi all,

is this possible?? if been offered a set of throttle bodies and i was wondering if you can run them on standard managment? obviously aftermarket managment is best, but costs...

thanks guys

Stoo
26-10-06, 02:34 PM
i beleive u will need after market stuff

chimp007_uk
26-10-06, 03:36 PM
was thinking of running them with the air mass meter and make a plenum to connect to the tb's.

novatracker
26-10-06, 06:48 PM
still need after market lad.

Adam
26-10-06, 07:11 PM
If fitting it to a MPI engine, keeping original sensors etc, it might start and run, but the ecu map would be entirely wrong.

Not recommended.

Get a MegaSquirt setup to do it on the cheap. Just need someone/somewhere to finalise the spark/fuel map.

novatracker
26-10-06, 07:30 PM
iv heard there is a lot of engine failing with the megasquirt opition as they havent been put together correctly (dry joints) usaly with the injector wiring.

but it is a gd cheap price so i u get it done correcty and set up well it should be good for a laught

what engine u thinking about?

Philsutton
26-10-06, 07:30 PM
yes would need after market management, go for mega squirt its cheap enough.

Adam
26-10-06, 07:37 PM
You can get a fully/professionally built Megasquirt ecu for about ?250.
To run any engine you want.

Then just make a loom out of a few old Gm looms,Lol.

Stuart
26-10-06, 07:39 PM
make a new loom FFS... its not expensive and not hard. i wouldn trust 10 + yr old wires....

novatracker
26-10-06, 07:41 PM
You can get a fully/professionally built Megasquirt ecu for about ?250
it when people have been making the looms.
i mind iv heard something about a few of the ecu failing very quickly froma supplier and tthey have switched to emeralds systeams instead.

Adam
26-10-06, 07:46 PM
make a new loom FFS... its not expensive and not hard. i wouldn trust 10 + yr old wires....
Lol, but then the wires wouldn't be Gm colour coded :p:p lol

Novatracket-Theres plenty of people on the MS forums that are using MS, even ones they've built thereself.

novatracker
26-10-06, 08:01 PM
ok just saying what iv been told and seen throught differant companys.

Stuart
26-10-06, 08:11 PM
every company has problems... and MS is a DIY thing so wont have quite the same quality control that others might..... i can be a cocky git and say that the MS i built will not fail on soldering problems... the components might fail but tahts down to poor design on the MS peoples part.

Lee
26-10-06, 09:48 PM
How mappable are these MS ECU's though. I wouldt buiy TB's unless I could get the most out of them possible..

(says me still overfueling 2 years down the line lol)

Adam
27-10-06, 12:31 AM
With a wideband lambda setup, apparently its quite straightforward to get a good-ish fuel/spark map, once you've worked out initial setup values etc.

I can't see it being too difficult for someone used to mapping emerald/mbe using MS tune program and fine tuning the map.

It was something i was considering, but i dont really think i could have my car off the road, whilst i was sorting the loom,basic map etc, as its a everyday runner.

Stuart
27-10-06, 08:21 AM
actually down to the open sourceness of the MS setup/software and electronics you actually have more control over most stuff than say a DTA etc......

craig green
27-10-06, 11:31 AM
iv heard there is a lot of engine failing with the megasquirt opition as they havent been put together correctly (dry joints) usaly with the injector wiring.

but it is a gd cheap price so i u get it done correcty and set up well it should be good for a laught

what engine u thinking about?

Depends who from & on who built it.
There are reputable sellers of the stuff & done correctly you can achieve really good results with it.

By its nature it is for technically minded people that have the time to tinker with it & are strapped for cash, hence not using Autronic.