PDA

View Full Version : Clutchless shifts

craig green
25-10-06, 11:12 PM
Does anyone else do this?

Seeing as I dont give 2 funks about my car Ive been practising changing gear without the use of a clutch. Sure you need it to pull away & quick downchanges for corners etc but with preparation I can go all the way up the box & back down to 2nd without moving my left foot.

Its far more effective after I filled the engine mounts with instant gasket to stop the box from moving about so much.

Saloony
25-10-06, 11:15 PM
Dont expect the selectors to last that long then. But yeah dont it a couple of times, the old transits are the best for it.

Chris
25-10-06, 11:18 PM
when going steady I always drive my nova with no clutch

jon boy
25-10-06, 11:34 PM
i prefer using the clutch whilst toe and heeling !

Ricky G
25-10-06, 11:36 PM
my xe clutch cable snapped when i was about 15 miles away from home and there was no way i was paying for a recovery truck to get it home. i nursed it home by crunching the gears but it did get tricky at junctions. coming to a roundabout meant u had to take it out of gear, stop and then start it back up in 1st gear for it to get going again. but i made it with no real probs. my passengers found it hilarious but i wasnt laughing so much at the time.:thumb:

Stoo
26-10-06, 12:19 AM
Its simple, ease off the accelerator whilst moving the gear stick gently and will slip out of gear, match the revs and it will slip nicely into your next gear wether up or down

L14MNP
26-10-06, 01:56 AM
Cock on :thumb:

Always had trouble with 1st though, not that I do it often anyway

Its simple, ease off the accelerator whilst moving the gear stick gently and will slip out of gear, match the revs and it will slip nicely into your next gear wether up or down

Jack
26-10-06, 09:33 AM
I have to do this on my Celica, the synchros are knackered and the clutch has pretty much had it so its next to useless. Can't afford to get the bits changed at the mo so I'm putting up with it lol

craig green
26-10-06, 09:41 AM
Dont expect the selectors to last that long then. But yeah dont it a couple of times, the old transits are the best for it.

I'm not expecting the selectors to last long. I'm putting the car in the bin next week! lol

SRlew
26-10-06, 10:19 AM
lol i done this a few times on my old engine/box i had just adjusted the rear brakes and they liked to lock up lol so i was just messing around with some left foot brakeing round corners etc then i started changing gear straight after the corner as my left foot was being used, apart of me thought it was the clutch, but then i realised nothing bad actualy happend when i had changed gear, so i carried on lol

dannyb
26-10-06, 10:54 AM
54 plate Citroen Berlingos are great for this when its a summer job and the van is from a lease company.

Stoo
26-10-06, 11:14 AM
Mental in a rental!!

loggyboy
26-10-06, 11:23 AM
IMO clutchless changes are pointless, your likely to **** your syncs praciting it getting it right, and even when you do it gives little to no benefit in time of change (infact without a pro gearbox it is slower) all it will save is wear on the clutch release bearing. Your better off spending the energy getting a accurate linkage setup and praciting full throttle changes, they genuinely do make 1/4 sprints faster. If done right the car hardly even rocks when changing gear, unlike the usual dipping of the rear when the next gear is selected thats found with regular gear changes.

draper
26-10-06, 11:36 AM
dont think he meant doing it on the 1/4 mile or track days - just everday driving cuz hes lazy lol

Ash
26-10-06, 02:15 PM
Is this your beater you took to Cheltenham?

Also i second the old tranisit vans :thumb:

A

Chris
26-10-06, 03:31 PM
I dont do clutchless gear changes when I am going for it, I do it when I am lazy.
Regards to full throttle gear changes making the 1/4 times faster that might be so but also good on a track, oh and 1/4's are gay

Riggy
26-10-06, 03:37 PM
PMSL i know a certain 2 people who do full throttle gear changes whilst driving normally lol

Adam
26-10-06, 04:41 PM
I drove 30mile home the other month with a snapped clutch cable, i managed clutchless changes easily, with only one crunch one time, 10mile was 2nd/3rd gear town driving too lol
Almost killed my starter tho having to start the car in 1st gear. Lol

You just have to feel the gear lever going into position.

craig green
26-10-06, 05:13 PM
I drove 30mile home the other month with a snapped clutch cable, i managed clutchless changes easily, with only one crunch one time, 10mile was 2nd/3rd gear town driving too lol
Almost killed my starter tho having to start the car in 1st gear. Lol

You just have to feel the gear lever going into position.

Thats why the starter motor is shot then? lol

Its a good skill to know tbh.

craig green
26-10-06, 05:14 PM
Is this your beater you took to Cheltenham?
A

Yep.

Adam
26-10-06, 05:25 PM
Thats why the starter motor is shot then? lol

Its a good skill to know tbh.
Lol, nah this was on my old engine.

New engine had the dodgy starter, all sorted now :p:thumb:

Zakstaff
26-10-06, 06:10 PM
any pressure on the gear stick is damaging the synchro's especially not using the clutch! your only saving the friction material on the clutch plate best thing is to drive it properly not leaving your foot rested on the clutch pedal an not leaving your hand on the gear nob whilst just driving round, smooth changes are best if you want better/faster changes get a quikshift and make sure everything is in full working order.

bigbened
26-10-06, 11:02 PM
my mate only ever uses the clutch when we have stopped in the new tranny and full throttle gear changes are a must as they are soooo slow

Lee
27-10-06, 08:10 AM
Yup, very rarely do I use the clutch in my transit, unless its downshifting from 3rd to second, as she'd a bit tight at that point. Its actually smoother without the clutch if done right.

stuartp
27-10-06, 07:50 PM
I thrash my van and can get perfect changes at high RPM!! So it only fuccs the box when the synchro's dont engage quick!!

Lozzie C
27-10-06, 08:27 PM
my xe clutch cable snapped when i was about 15 miles away from home and there was no way i was paying for a recovery truck to get it home. i nursed it home by crunching the gears but it did get tricky at junctions. coming to a roundabout meant u had to take it out of gear, stop and then start it back up in 1st gear for it to get going again. but i made it with no real probs. my passengers found it hilarious but i wasnt laughing so much at the time.:thumb:

Sounds like what we had to do in the Caterham. It wasn't the car's fault... just hadn't checked that oil etc. was filled up before we left! We ended up staying in second gear the, which was ok at say 60mph- but when you came to traffic lights it was horrible!