PDA

View Full Version : easiest way to change cv boot

novamadcars
22-10-06, 11:38 AM
hi i need to change my outter cv boot for the mot next week im just wondering whats the easiest way to do this?
cheers in advance mark

Philsutton
22-10-06, 11:53 AM
easiest way to do it is off the car, i.e take the shaft out then its much easier work on imo. Since its only 3 bolts to get the shaft out anyway.

novamadcars
22-10-06, 12:10 PM
so its as easy as unbolt the 3 bolts on the gearbox

Philsutton
22-10-06, 12:12 PM
erm the bolts are on the bottom ball joint and the outer Cv (30mm). I say its easier to take the shaft out as do doubt you'll be trying to do while lying under the car?

mowgli
22-10-06, 12:45 PM
remove the whole shaft & clean it & then do it on a workbench.

Benn
22-10-06, 01:47 PM
as he said^or on ya lap..

burgo
22-10-06, 05:53 PM
bollox to removing the shaft, you have to buy new gearbox oil then and then try and get the gearbox oil in. i find it much easier to do it on the car

Benn
22-10-06, 05:58 PM
bollox to removing the shaft, you have to buy new gearbox oil then and then try and get the gearbox oil in. i find it much easier to do it on the car
jack it up high on one side and nearly non comes out if any...

Philsutton
22-10-06, 05:59 PM
If its jacked right up on one side its going to lose that much oil, plus i bet 80% of novas on the road today dont have any in to start with. Not something people actually top up / check. lol

Benn
22-10-06, 08:10 PM
If its jacked right up on one side its going to lose that much oil, plus i bet 80% of novas on the road today dont have any in to start with. Not something people actually top up / check. lol

mine was in the body shop for a yr,
no shafts in...
so i put 1.9lts in...
and it was leaking...top the check plug out and it poured out all over the drive...
after a year there was still a good lt in it...