PDA

View Full Version : mischievous night!!

staggy_gsi
19-10-06, 09:40 PM
having an argument with some mates over when mischievous night is....

i think its the day before haloween but they think its the day before bonfire night.
someone help its doing our heads in!! lol

Dar
19-10-06, 09:45 PM
Mischief Night (4th November)

From coast to coast across northern England the 4 November has become 'Mischief Night', a night of humour and hooliganism. On this night children are half under the impression that lawlessness is permissible. Householders' front doors are repeatedly assaulted with bogus calls, their gates removed, their dustbin lids hoisted up lamp posts, their window panes daubed with paint, their doorknobs coated with treacle, their evening newspapers (projecting from letter-boxes) exchanged, their milk bottles placed so that they will be tripped over, their house numbers unscrewed and fixed on to other houses, their windows tapped, their backyards turned upside down and possibly ransacked for tomorrow's bonfires, their drainpipes stuffed with paper and set alight. Both in villages and in great cities youngsters bent on mischief roam the streets in happy warfare with the adult world.

"On Mischief Night". writes a 12-year-old, "my friends and I do many strange, mischievous deeds. We knock at a door offering a woman cabbages, meanwhile somebody climbs on the roof with a bucket of water. If the person will not buy she gets wet through."

"On Mischievous Night," writes another, "one of our tricks is to collect some old tin cans, and tie them together with string. Then we fill them with ashes, tie a loop at the other end of the string, and put that on a door knob. Somebody knocks on the door an d everybody hides. When the door is opened in flies the ashes, and then all sorts of language is heard."

"A favourite trick," say several lads, "is to tie two door knobs together with a length of string, and knock at both doors at the same time." The boys run and hide in a place where they can see both doors, and "watch the occupants tugging against each other". Sometimes, as the householders tug more and more strenuously, they creep out of their hiding places and cut the string, "and both people" - so they hope - "fly backwards as the doors fly open". Alternatively, says a 12-year-old, "a rope is tied to a door handle, and one of the boys knocks on the door. Some more boys hold the rope firmly, and when the man or woman attempts to open the door he cannot. Only when he pulls with all his strength do the boys let go of the rope. The man falls flat on his back."

staggy_gsi
19-10-06, 09:49 PM
noooooo....i cant be wrong, it must be 30th october

Novasport
19-10-06, 09:56 PM
I remember when I was a mischievous teenager, my mate used to climb on the church roof & ring the bell to start the season of naughtyness!!!
When it got dark earlier we used to go out gate lifting, cherry knocking, hedge hopping & letting off fireworks etc etc.

Jack
19-10-06, 10:00 PM
Whats different to any other night when there's chavs about?!

staggy_gsi
19-10-06, 10:02 PM
theres that word 'chav' again.

L14MNP
19-10-06, 10:09 PM
I'll side with you on this one dude!

Charva or charv! We made it up, and 'they' changed it lol

Still translates the same though! SCUM

theres that word 'chav' again.

Matt2107
20-10-06, 12:24 PM
So from this post I can have decided that I will be keeping my air pistol tucked in my waist band "fiddy" style and if some little runt decided to pull pranks on me I'll put a cap (bb) in his ass.

novabex
20-10-06, 12:26 PM
Up here its the night before halloween.

draper
20-10-06, 12:29 PM
its everynight round here with the well 'ard chav scum

wisewood
20-10-06, 01:11 PM
this sort of behaviour starts mid october and commences right through to mid november where i did my growing up.

I've got a small cctv camera wired above the front door, behind the motion sensitive light - anyone mucking about at our door and we can see them. Also useful for "trick or treat" and christmas carol singers - knock knock at the door, look who it is, remain seated. lol

Dpnova
20-10-06, 01:28 PM
im going to get my door to open outwards! ill show the trick or treat kids

Lynsey
20-10-06, 07:36 PM
Yeah it defo the 4th, its my birthday and mischief is a must hehe lol !!

Lee
20-10-06, 11:20 PM
A well placed hidden sprinkler system normally keeps the little tykes at bay lol

Jack
21-10-06, 10:36 AM
im going to get my door to open outwards! ill show the trick or treat kids
LMFAO