PDA

View Full Version : Cars naff

kronk10
18-10-06, 08:23 PM
I got me a new distributer for naff alll from the local scrappy today. So i fitted it and started the car up and it was very wierd it felt horrible and sluggish in all gears. But i thought to myself it will do till i can get it retuned etc. So tonight i was going to pick my girlfreind up and it just lost all power:cry: it starts and the car revs up proper but it just want keep the revs and eventually cuts out. i do not have the faintest idea of what to do. You can rev the car a few times and it just loses power have i put the distributer on wrong???? ant ideas would help

Welsh Dan
18-10-06, 08:30 PM
You can actually turn the dizzy to change the timing (or at least, you can on my 1.2 carbed one), so my first guess would be that your timing is off. Get the timing strobe out and make sure its correct.

Adam
19-10-06, 12:12 AM
I'd agree, i bet you've just slapped the dizzy back on anywhere :p, and its sent your ignition timing completely off.
Get to a garage and get them to set the ignition timing to 10deg btdc at idle.
Assuming you have the correct dizzy?

To get it to at least almost correct, turn the crank with a socket until the timing mark alines, make sure the cam sprocket one is aligned too.
Take the dizzy cap off, slip the black plastic dust shield up towards the rotor arm and you'll see a small indent mark on the edge behind the plastic cover, the middle of the rotor arm should point to this indent. If it doesn't undo the clamp nut holding the dizzy, just enough to hold it, and turn the dizzy until it aligns.
When it is, it should start and run fine, best get it set 100% right tho.

Also, you do have the leads on the dizzy cap correctly, dont you? Lol

Stuart
19-10-06, 09:04 AM
jsut get it back to the RR and ahve them set it up for you again.

ps, ad you owe me a fiver now ;)

Adam
19-10-06, 03:40 PM
ps, ad you owe me a fiver now ;)
PMSL, too right lol

kronk10
20-10-06, 04:00 PM
I'd agree, i bet you've just slapped the dizzy back on anywhere :p, and its sent your ignition timing completely off.
Get to a garage and get them to set the ignition timing to 10deg btdc at idle.
Assuming you have the correct dizzy?

To get it to at least almost correct, turn the crank with a socket until the timing mark alines, make sure the cam sprocket one is aligned too.
Take the dizzy cap off, slip the black plastic dust shield up towards the rotor arm and you'll see a small indent mark on the edge behind the plastic cover, the middle of the rotor arm should point to this indent. If it doesn't undo the clamp nut holding the dizzy, just enough to hold it, and turn the dizzy until it aligns.
When it is, it should start and run fine, best get it set 100% right tho.

Also, you do have the leads on the dizzy cap correctly, dont you? Lol

Its running ok (ish) now it was the timing i didnt even set it before driving anywherelol it just needs a Rolling road setup now its deffo down on power and the timings not 100% but i have it booked in for a rolling road tune so all is good.

SuperNova!
20-10-06, 04:05 PM
Get it done soon though if you run it with the timing out too much for too long you going to end up with a broken engine

Adam
20-10-06, 04:21 PM
Setting it how i said will atleast get it in the normal range so it should run ok.

Any garage will be able set it for you.

Novasport
20-10-06, 04:24 PM
Did you get a dizzy from a 1.3SR as they are different to 1.2's.
Not seen any 1.3's at Albert Looms for a while, where did you get it from?
You know of any other decent scrappies locally?

Adam
20-10-06, 04:33 PM
iirc
His engines a 1400sr.

Novasport
20-10-06, 04:42 PM
Thought he was running a 1.3 head?

Adam
20-10-06, 05:39 PM
1.6 head.

I ASSUME he got another dizzy the same as his old one?

kronk10
20-10-06, 08:58 PM
1.6 head.

I ASSUME he got another dizzy the same as his old one?

Yeah i found a mk3 astra LX with an 1.4 carb engine in it even had a pierburg carb. There was also a white nova with front spax srpings and cherry bomb 3 inch back box. I would have taken the bits but had no money and no spacelol i am gonna get the timimg sorted cus i dont wanna blow the engine iam actually quite concerned cus iam skint and have to drive the car everyday how should i drive the car really tamely:confused:

Adam
20-10-06, 09:06 PM
No mk3 astra's had carb engines, unless someones fitted a carb engine.
Perhaps it was a mk2?

Anyway.

-Set engine to timing marks on cam/crank
-Remove dizzy cap
-Either the dizzy itself, or the edge of it will have an arrow/cast mark
-Make sure the middle of the rotor arm is pointing at that mark
-If its not loosen the dizzy and turn it one way or the other till it aligns

That will at least get it running normal-ish.

kronk10
20-10-06, 10:26 PM
No mk3 astra's had carb engines, unless someones fitted a carb engine.
Perhaps it was a mk2?

Anyway.

-Set engine to timing marks on cam/crank
-Remove dizzy cap
-Either the dizzy itself, or the edge of it will have an arrow/cast mark
-Make sure the middle of the rotor arm is pointing at that mark
-If its not loosen the dizzy and turn it one way or the other till it aligns

That will at least get it running normal-ish.

yeah mk 2 your right it runs fine and idles allright its just over 1k rpm so its not that bad i am just worried cus my rolling road is in 4 weeks time. So i might get a garage to sort my timing out so its ready for the rolling road. Why does one small thing have to mess everything up i know i shouldnt complain as i chose to modify my 1.4 but i suppose these things happen over time. I heard you can get modifed/uprated distributers someone i know, knows someone who builds them for fords at 115 quid a go? is it worth asking for an uprated one:confused:

Adam
21-10-06, 12:21 AM
The 1400SR jobbie works fine, the engine modified isn't the reason for it to be running crap, if you set the ignition timing wrong on a std engine it would be exactly the same.

Do you not have any pics of your engine showing where the old dizzy was mounted?

Found one here:-
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48/jonboy100/DSCF1635new.jpg

See if you can set it back to where it looks in that pic, then get it set properly.