PDA

View Full Version : Nova GTE/GSi in a Corsa problems

45_CB
18-10-06, 07:57 PM
I have this engine in my N Reg corsa (ex 1.2 8v Spi) is this a GTE or GSi nova engine? as it came out of a G Reg GTE but my friend has a GSi and looks identical?
http://img131.imageshack.us/img131/1738/dscf0029zj4.jpg

Anyway It has a running problem as follows:

Takes a long time to start in the morning, and involves turning the ignition off and on after every turn over, it doesnt start if u turn it over constantly, not even a spluter.

Once started sits there ok and settles out to around 800rpm and performs nicely!

But then after about 20-30mins of driving the revs idle at 500-600rpm and performance is very poor and feels like there is a constant pulling / holding back and you need to ride the clutch a little on pull aways so not to stall ?!

Very VERY strange, i have alot of thoughts in my head such as:

Not enough fuel but peforms well on start up as flicking of ignition and pumping fuel in

Fuel filter?!

Bad earth or wiring somewhere?

Welsh Dan
18-10-06, 08:29 PM
When was it last fully serviced?

45_CB
18-10-06, 08:37 PM
Good question... lol dunno. My friend brought the GTE and then sold me the engine, but it was absoluty fine when it was in the Nova

ade
18-10-06, 09:48 PM
I think GTE's were pre cat. If it came from a G reg then it'll be a GTE most probably.

If its a GSi and theres no cat fitted I'm not sure but I think you need to make some adjustments to the engine to compensate for this... (de cat etc).

Starting problems - starter motor? fuel pump not powerful enough - wrong fuel lines.

Running problems - timing? set up of ecu?

For engine type post up the engine number - someone will be able to advise you...its stamped on the block somewhere round by the dizzy cap...

Adam
19-10-06, 12:21 AM
Have you fitted a MPI fuel pump?

45_CB
19-10-06, 12:41 AM
Yes a corsa GSi one was fitted when i did the transplant

45_CB
19-10-06, 12:26 PM
Anyone :(