PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust help/advice

novamadman
17-10-06, 07:57 PM
Hello all havent been about in a while.

Finally got the car on the road but still disapointed with noise so have saved up ?100 to spend on a back box want to order one int he next few days so just wondering whats the best- dont really care stainless or mild or what make it is, its to fit a 1.3sr janspeed middle section 1.75" bore i think, i bought a scorpion back box for a gte second hand but it was far too short so needs to be for the smaller engined cars

want something with just a nice note to it, dont care what make

cheers shane

Adam
17-10-06, 08:10 PM
Janspeed system should be 2" bore, so you'll struggled fine another backbox to fit it, as std nova fitment are 1 3/4" bore.
Plus i dont see a backbox changing the sound too much tbh, what changed mine is the 4-1 manifold and straight through middle box.

?100 might be enough for a custom backbox jobbie?

novamadman
17-10-06, 08:38 PM
Janspeed system should be 2" bore, so you'll struggled fine another backbox to fit it, as std nova fitment are 1 3/4" bore.
Plus i dont see a backbox changing the sound too much tbh, what changed mine is the 4-1 manifold and straight through middle box.

?100 might be enough for a custom backbox jobbie?

i was quoted anywhere between ?150 and ?250 for a custom powerflow backbox.

i have a 4 branch and dont really want to take the grinder to the middle section

i was told removing the middle box would just make it drone all the time??? right/wrong????

any ideas for a straight through middle pipe

shane

Adam
17-10-06, 08:46 PM
If its a full janspeed system it probably already is a straight through type box.

I have a 4-1, and a full ashley system, and it does get annoying, on motorways etc.
Also, depending on how the janspeed is made, you may have trouble finding another aftermark box to fit the rest of the janspeed system.

novamadman
17-10-06, 08:49 PM
If its a full janspeed system it probably already is a straight through type box.

I have a 4-1, and a full ashley system, and it does get annoying, on motorways etc.
Also, depending on how the janspeed is made, you may have trouble finding another aftermark box to fit the rest of the janspeed system.

no what you mean, i tried fitting an exhaust of a 16v nova but it was too short as well.

both the middle box and the back box are straight through with just smal holes drilled in them but the back box is really long so i think thats whats killing any noise as the middle is quite small

shane

novamadman
17-10-06, 11:50 PM
spent all evening ctting and welding a bit ontothe scorpion backbox to make it fit, got it all sorted and it still sounds **** even ehtough its very short box, slight more drone but crap

is it just not possible to make a1.2 make any sort of noise

shane

Adam
17-10-06, 11:56 PM
My 1.2i was loud as f**k for what it was.

Even 1.2 carb engines with just a backbox sound loud.

mikey14sr
18-10-06, 08:09 PM
My ?25 cheapo replacement centre section is straight-through :)
Universal and a bit of welding is the only way to go for me, although most universal boxes are quite boomy, not nice and crisp.

bigbened
18-10-06, 11:44 PM
my 1.2 carb is quite loud with just a sportex backbox, nice and raspy in some revs and very deep in others and im now putting a slightly more free flowing centre box on just for the fun of it

o and i was told stainless steel manifolds make the note more raspy is this true as i need more rasp lol

superfu-kingnova
18-10-06, 11:53 PM
mine is a 1.2i , standard mani' , ashley straight thru system with a piper 3" outward rolled backbox , and believe me it is very very loud . :D
when i step off the gas and it winds down ppl say it sounds like a touring car.

:cool: