PDA

View Full Version : sportex exhaust knocking?

womble sri
16-10-06, 10:54 PM
I fitted my exhaust system tonight at a friends workshop and we jigged the exhaust to give enough clearance of the tank it also sits quite close to the rear brake lines! is it just a bad design or am i missing something? any one else used these its the sportex cat by bass and cat back system for an sri although it was marked up as a gsi. but i had a long chat with the guy from online and he seemed to know his stuff so i doubt it.
cheers neil

Adam
17-10-06, 01:10 AM
Just sounds like classic Sportex to me

Rich
17-10-06, 06:40 PM
Yeah terrible fit, my exhaust was fine, i then put a sportex manifold on (think the de-cat is sportex too?) and its now hanging about an inch from the ground. Catches on everything!

womble sri
17-10-06, 06:44 PM
fukin hell i had heard good things about them too late too send it back now i suppose so i just have to put up with it knocking?

Adam
17-10-06, 07:09 PM
Whats it knocking on?

I usually find turning the backbox helps move the entire system too, so you can move it away from the rear beam or whatever.

Nova_Tek
17-10-06, 09:38 PM
Yeh thinks its a usual thing that happens.

My sportex back box bumps against the rear suspension spring going around right handed corners and somtimes if I move off and use too much clutch it'll knock too. This is on a standard nova mid a front exhaust. Plus the tailpipe sometimes rubs against my bumper cutout (MK1 bumper)

Which was why I was about to start a new thread asking the best exhaust for a MK1 Nova. Best sound, best fitment & best look.

Lets hear your opinions people :thumb:

General Baxter
17-10-06, 09:41 PM
mines fine thanks lol

altho its not a sportex, but its a 100% copy of it lol

rednova
17-10-06, 10:04 PM
mine was a nice fit when i got it so was my mates astra system after he'd told me he'd only put the mounting bracket on to stop it rattlin (read as wrong way round - muppet that he was ) i loved mine sounded great not raspy at all nice deep rumble if they are knocking as posted before try twisting box - generally helps plus consider buying new rubbers with a harder compound?

bigbened
19-10-06, 10:59 AM
you need to cut some sou of your bumper and try pushing the box on more or off more if you know what i meen because mine was close to my spring untill i did this. ill get some pics 2nite

womble sri
19-10-06, 09:11 PM
we got it over the pit last nite opposed to the ramp so we could put it in between the rear beam and tank with it sitting normally and it didnt knock with four people in it. it did knock a couple of times on the way to work today but they are real bumpy roads. when we were under there it looked as though the whole thing could of done with going back an inch then the pipe would miss the beam and the tank and to be honest the brackets arent that spot on any way so considering making a sleeve to give a bit more adjusting but oonly if i start having problems. it does hang low though just had a look at the ashley system and manifold on my sr and that sits nicely and never knocks although could do with some harder rubbers as it swings quite a bit.

Nobby
19-10-06, 09:59 PM
lol i had a sportex and it kept rubbing on the wheel well :confused:

mowgli
22-10-06, 12:43 PM
we have a clio diesel van at work & the exhaust got replaced. it knocked like a headboard against a wall. we put a new rear engine mount on it & fixed it.
Remember, the oldest nova is 23years old & the youngest is 13 years old, the engine mounts are going to wear out.
Also, replacement exhaust manufacturers reverse engineer components. They are not going to be very accurately made.

Stanley
22-10-06, 12:54 PM
My system used to rattle on the axle (it was just a standard 1200carb system so does away with the CAT).

i slackened the rear box, twisted it round and tightened it back up and it cured the problem. ish. lol