PDA

View Full Version : my santa pod times

kronk10
15-10-06, 08:36 PM
Well i did an all nighter last night at the pod. i was going to go down for just the day but i whent on the saturday night i was all alone. I was abit apprehensive about going on the strip i thought i would do terrible plus i had nowhere to put any of my camping gear. So i had a car full of stuff including my spare wheel so car did weigh quite abit. I did three runs that evening my first was appalling plus i ran with a car called the beast which ran an 10.256 quarter mile time:eek:. My attempt was a 17.008 which was naff i just wheelspinned everywhere. My second attempt was so much better i got a 16.555 :D which was made even better in two ways 1. i ran a 19.000 in june:cry:2. the car i was running with was a punto gt turbo i was almost infront untill a naff gear change to third messed it up. He got a 16.366 so it was close afterwards he asked me what engine i had i said a ''1.4 running webbers'' the look on his face was brilllol. And my final run was alrightish i was against a blue turbod nova he had been running 12.000ssss all day so i new he would fly, i got a 16.836 and he got 12.192:eek:. And then i just watched the rest of the runs it was a wicked weekend even though i was by myself the whole weekend:tard:.

I just want more acceleration now iam thinking about stripping the nova but i really dont have the room to keep all the interior and i dont wanna sell it. Next time i go down i am deffo taking everything out the car including spare wheel, any suggestions on getting the car into the mid/high 15's:confused::thumb:

draper
15-10-06, 08:40 PM
half decent times there chap - i was gonna come down but my (so-called) mate let me down :mad: didnt you see phil down there ??

kronk10
15-10-06, 08:45 PM
half decent times there chap - i was gonna come down but my (so-called) mate let me down :mad: didnt you see phil down there ??

Yeah the times were ok i just had tons of crap in the back and i really dont know how to get a good start (newbie) it just wheels spins everywhere i should get my RR printout up its got a nice torque curve. I didnt see phil there if he came on the sunday i wouldnt have saw him i didnt run plus i drove home about 1.30 ish. I just want some better times any suggestions:confused: anyone

draper
15-10-06, 08:48 PM
i wouldnt know either tbh - i never ran either, yet lol

Philsutton
15-10-06, 08:50 PM
i did utter ****e, first off the runs i did on the saturday night i had my caliper toching my wheel due to fitting new brake pads which push them out. Didnt know until i started to run it. So i left them on anyway lol. I still managed a 12.8 against a TVR which i was reeling in, shame it wasnt a 1/2 mile run instead. I also completely destroyed another TVR which didnt have nitrous this time like the first.

All my other runs were dead 13's or low 13's. wasnt very happy as i had to run on my road tyres today which were nigh on useless.

To be honest a lot of the regulars that go didnt get close to their PB so i wouldnt worry to much.

Oh an unlucky about going against the beast lol, its my fav car at the moment.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/skud52/30072006022.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/skud52/30072006023.jpg

he got so close to a 9 as well

kronk10
15-10-06, 08:54 PM
Phil what car were you in (blue nova):confused: oh and the beast was scary very scary what engine is in it then all i can see is a huge turbo:eek:

Philsutton
15-10-06, 08:56 PM
it aint a turbo its a supercharger if you look closer, does look like a turbo but belt driven. I reckon its got to have about 600-800bhp to snake down the 1/4 mile at 140+mph. I was in the corsa with stickers all over it. There was a guy there in a 1.4 on twin carbs that got crashed into by a pissed up guy in a westfield on the saturday night. That wasnt you was it?

kronk10
15-10-06, 09:06 PM
it aint a turbo its a supercharger if you look closer, does look like a turbo but belt driven. I reckon its got to have about 600-800bhp to snake down the 1/4 mile at 140+mph. I was in the corsa with stickers all over it. There was a guy there in a 1.4 on twin carbs that got crashed into by a pissed up guy in a westfield on the saturday night. That wasnt you was it?
No that wasnt melol i passed you a couple of times i should have chatted to you doh sorry mate i wasnt being ignorantlol i thought i was the only guy that day running:confused: a 1.4. Do you know what times the other 1.4 was running and the spec!! I really wanna know cus i dont think i could get more bhp out of mine on my current setup. If i changed the cam and had it rebored etc etc maybe:wtf: anyway your times were brill i will deffo come and chat to you nest time mate but it will next yearish as i cant have anymore time off:mad:

draper
15-10-06, 09:07 PM
do people run sat afternoon/eve aswell then ?? sounds like a quality weekend - ill make sure im there next time

kronk10
15-10-06, 09:10 PM
do people run sat afternoon/eve aswell then ?? sounds like a quality weekend - ill make sure im there next time

Yeah the eveing runs were really good makes a difference as the atmoshpere is so good and the noise of some of the cars:thumb:
The best car/cars there were the small fiats running v8's and wheely bars :eek: they were so quick so funny and so loudlol

Matt GTE
15-10-06, 09:20 PM
I was up there today in my Mk3 Astra GSi Turbo with a few lads from VxON. Have to say there were some very very nice Novas up there which further worsenned my withdrawal symptoms from selling my 1.3SR last July and still missing it :cry: so the Mk2 Astra GTE 16V that I recently bought to restore is now being broken to finance a new Nova :D.

Dan
15-10-06, 09:21 PM
Yeah the times were ok i just had tons of crap in the back and i really dont know how to get a good start (newbie) it just wheels spins everywhere i should get my RR printout up its got a nice torque curve. I didnt see phil there if he came on the sunday i wouldnt have saw him i didnt run plus i drove home about 1.30 ish. I just want some better times any suggestions:confused: anyone

The only advise is to get your launch decent, a limited amount of wheels spin is needed just to break from the start cleanly. Personally i launch from tickover and feather the power in using the throttle (paddle clutch so not an option using that lol). I can launch with virtually no wheel spin, just a chirp from the tyres.

I find there is a certain point on mine where i can feather the power in breifly in first gear then there is a sweet spot where i can just drop the throttle with no ill effects, but that comes from knowing my car and having the experience to understand how and where to get the most from the car/power

kronk10
15-10-06, 09:25 PM
The only advise is to get your launch decent, a limited amount of wheels spin is needed just to break from the start cleanly. Personally i launch from tickover and feather the power in using the throttle (paddle clutch so not an option using that lol). I can launch with virtually no wheel spin, just a chirp from the tyres.

I find there is a certain point on mine where i can feather the power in breifly in first gear then there is a sweet spot where i can just drop the throttle with no ill effects, but that comes from knowing my car and having the experience to understand how and where to get the most from the power.

Thanks i was struggling all night trying to get a decent start like you said getting to now my car is probally best bet and lots of practise:thumb:. I really wanna go again when its a tad bit warmer but it will have to wait. i saw you guys today you ran some good times its a pity i coulnt run again no money + tiredness killed me today.

Adam
15-10-06, 09:33 PM
Nice one.

Better tyres and less weight will improve it ;)

What was your quickest run then? 16.55?

kronk10
15-10-06, 09:40 PM
Nice one.

Better tyres and less weight will improve it ;)

I had some cheapo tyres on there at the mo and i dont know about the weight thing:confused: i wanna strip it but theres so many cons plus i do love my interior. I recently had it fully valeted inside and the seats have come up amazing (if abit bobbly)

Adam
15-10-06, 09:42 PM
Strip it out!

Its a lot more fun to drive, if a little noisier,Lol.

Changing the front seats to lightweight buckets will also save more weight.

kronk10
15-10-06, 09:43 PM
Yah my best time was a 16.55 i was really chuffed plus i have got the drag strip bug now i just wanna go again and again and again:D

kronk10
15-10-06, 09:46 PM
Something is telling me to strip it out. When i was at pvs this year nearly every nova was stripped and this weekend again every nova was strippedlol i will have to get it done.

Jonlem
15-10-06, 11:28 PM
Any pics ?

Gav (who owns the blue turbo nova) said the track was shocking.

Had wheelspin from 3rd to 4th !

That 400+hp for you lol

Stuart
16-10-06, 08:35 AM
what were your terminal speeds?

can then really "go" from there... but a FD change should be on the cards.

ste porter
16-10-06, 02:02 PM
i must admit the track offered next to no grip at all on sunday but i still managed a 14.8 in a 2.0l 8v sr but earlyer in the year i managed 14.3 so it goes to show the difference in track conditions especialy as i had better tyers this time and less weight so in theory should have been quicker

phill i think i spoke to you i was the lad with the 2.0seh nova for sale

krobinson
16-10-06, 05:55 PM
Oh an unlucky about going against the beast lol, its my fav car at the moment.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/skud52/30072006022.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/skud52/30072006023.jpg

he got so close to a 9 as well

Fella is called stevie and he's from NI. Awesome fast car. V8 too!

Keith

jamie gsi16v
16-11-06, 12:49 AM
kronk try less tyre pressures, less weight, lsd? loads of bits you can do. what have you actually done to your car, been to protune today and saw your car there john said you tried setting the carbs up yourself or something even tho he had proffesionally set them up on the rollers and you have funked it? delivered on a flatbed was his words after a day at pod?

Stuart
16-11-06, 08:12 AM
as far as we know he changed the dizzy and tried to set that up himself ;) ooops lol

kronk10
16-11-06, 04:59 PM
as far as we know he changed the dizzy and tried to set that up himself ;) ooops lol

The words out then NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
Yeah i was skintoid and i mean skint after the weekend at the pod everything whent tits up (girlfreind and fiance of 5 years is on the brink of leaving me). Even if i did get some good times at the pod the drive home was bad etc. I couldnt afford to get the timing sorted out and i ended up breaking down four times in under three weeks:confused: i would have got it sorted but iam in a desperate situation for money:cry: but thats been sorted now and hopefully car will be back on the road (well i hope so) oh jamie, john was asking about you mate i was gonna pm you but forgot all about it soz. And how are you liking protune, there not bad lads down there and john is sound:thumb:

Adam
16-11-06, 05:59 PM
You could of sorted the dizzy yourself, i did a post telling you how to.

jamie gsi16v
16-11-06, 06:33 PM
i think somebody told him what to do and he did do it, thats why it went wrong!!!

Adam
16-11-06, 06:52 PM
i think somebody told him what to do and he did do it, thats why it went wrong!!!
Lol, he didn't do what i said then. ;)

kronk10
16-11-06, 07:14 PM
Lol, he didn't do what i said then. ;)

Iam not very good when it comes to anything mechanical or just anything to be telling the truth. I really dont have the time to as i work two jobs i just drove it till it broke down which was ****ing stupid:tard:

Adam
16-11-06, 07:16 PM
Lol, good to here its being sorted anyway :)

Philsutton
16-11-06, 08:01 PM
Fella is called stevie and he's from NI. Awesome fast car. V8 too!

Keith

Ah didnt realise he was from over there. I thought he it was down london way, reason i say that is because i pulled up next to it at a roundabout in watford. I could hear the thing miles away though. Least i think it was this one cant be many of them thatn sound like this.

kronk10
16-11-06, 09:51 PM
Ah didnt realise he was from over there. I thought he it was down london way, reason i say that is because i pulled up next to it at a roundabout in watford. I could hear the thing miles away though. Least i think it was this one cant be many of them thatn sound like this.

It makes my insides go weird and funny and its damn fast ran a 10. something at the pod against melol