PDA

View Full Version : not the usual noob question....

kwakshack
12-10-06, 01:44 AM
hi guys, been lurkin in the background for a few weeks now and got to say this looks like a good forum, not to up its own **** and some good techy bits on it.
i've been running a xe powered nova for a while as a dedicated track car, nothing fancy, just something for a laugh for not a lot of cash. problem is the track i usually goto (knockhill) is bringing in that to get on track from next year your car has to be taxed and MOTed, probaly to stop the local chavs from turning up in a ?50 scrapper and driving like ****s. trouble is i've no idea what the reg. no. for my car is and dont have any paper work ie; logbook, V5 etc so getting it road legal is surely going to be a nitemare...
only thing i've got to go by is the VIN no. (this is what i used to check the car wasn't stolen when i bought it) and dvla are saying i'm gonna have to re-register the car which means a Q plate probally, so any one know some where that could find my original reg. just from my VIN?
or does any know just what hassle is involved in re-registering a car? in fact any (helpful)suggestion are welcome.

thanks, kwakshack...

longeysgsi
12-10-06, 04:54 AM
just a long shot mate but have u got any of the oringal windows in have any of them got the reg on them not 100% on this but i think sum have the reg on them

Bouch
12-10-06, 07:05 AM
Ring it! Find someone thats scraping there nova and nick there plates. Easy!!!

Bouch
12-10-06, 07:13 AM
On a serious note. If the car hasn't been scrapped or written off it should still be registered! Where did you get the car from? Prehaps if you get in contact with who ever you got it from, surely they could tell you. The DVLA are like gun dogs when it comes to cars that are still taxable, so the'll be chasing them for tax or new ownership details!

Changing the subject slightly. But what were you thinking by buying a car with no log book? If the last seller still has it, they are still the legal owners!!!

Dar
12-10-06, 09:36 AM
Castle Combe tried this but have never inforced it. If your car is up to MOT standard and looks clean and straight you should be able to reason with them.

Also Bouch is right. If the DVLA know about it they would be chasing for the tax or asking you to sorn it. So since they arn't its not going to be registered.

total_vauxhall
12-10-06, 10:28 AM
not entirely shore on this one but is it not true that if you buy a car off someone alse and both cars oviusly another nova is in your name are you not able to swap vin plates ect .this is what a rally firm i used to work for did with road cars to register the kit cars and then just make shure you get a recipt from the scrapy to say that the car u used as a doner has been crushed .this cant be illegal as we always had the police at the work shop to check over every car we did .

kwakshack
12-10-06, 10:33 AM
thanks for the help guys,

just a long shot mate but have u got any of the oringal windows in have any of them got the reg on them not 100% on this but i think sum have the reg on them

thought of this, but every window has a different reg. no. on it!!

Changing the subject slightly. But what were you thinking by buying a car with no log book? If the last seller still has it, they are still the legal owners!!!

last guy that had it bought it for spares with some damage to it, and when i bought it knew it was dodgy buying with no log book but got the VIN checked from the cops to find out if it was hot or not.

kwakshack...

kwakshack
12-10-06, 10:36 AM
not entirely shore on this one but is it not true that if you buy a car off someone alse and both cars oviusly another nova is in your name are you not able to swap vin plates ect .this is what a rally firm i used to work for did with road cars to register the kit cars and then just make shure you get a recipt from the scrapy to say that the car u used as a doner has been crushed .this cant be illegal as we always had the police at the work shop to check over every car we did .

surely thats just like ringing it though? you're changing the cars id and thats a no-no if the feds find out..

total_vauxhall
12-10-06, 10:59 AM
its just the same job though as putting a new drivers side floor in though you would still have to get the numbers printed on if u cant get it registerd at all y not just buy a new shell n stick all your bits on

craig green
12-10-06, 12:21 PM
Shame ringing is illegal. I'd happily ring my own car for my own use, but I guess it becomes tricky if & when you sell it.

Jack
12-10-06, 12:39 PM
I would guess then that the guy you bought it off, who used it for spare parts, has registered it as scrapped with the DVLA...

If the track get really funny about it, you could always pick up another nova and strip yours down and rebuild it into the new one?