PDA

View Full Version : DIY Engine rebuild

Anonymous
07-04-01, 04:45 PM
Hi
I want to rebuild by 1.3 Sr nova engine but i am on a very tight budget so i intend on doing it myself. What parts will need replacing?

I know i will need a head gasket set how much should i expect to pay? What other bits will need replacing? How much should i be paying for a piston ring set? how can i tell if they need replacing?

Has anyone got any guides on doing this?

Ive already seen the DIY Head thread (thanks Vauxdoc for the e-mail) but is there anything i can do to the engine to increase performance?

thanks

danny

Anonymous
07-04-01, 04:51 PM
well basiacaly geta haynes and read it

change all gaskets and anything thats worn

Micky@novaload.net :)

Anonymous
07-04-01, 06:47 PM
decoke it and reseat the valves (this is in the manual). If you have the facility then skim the head a tiny bit (more compression). polish the exhaust ports, and clean the inlet ones (DONT POLISH EM!!). and basically clean the engine up.

BEng Hons Automotive Electronics Engineering :) worship my electronics skills :D

Anonymous
07-04-01, 08:14 PM
get some carb cleaning spray, gets all the crap from inside it. works quite well.

Anonymous
07-04-01, 09:43 PM
1. Why you doing it - whats wrong with it? If it aint broke save yourself the money.Fixing the bottom end will be pricey
2. Doing up the head is a good idea. The main thing to replace is the valve stem seals.
3. Head gasket and seals etc usually come as kits. You must get new head bolts.Change the cam belt as well. Total cost for all parts including new oil etc about ?50.

Anonymous
07-04-01, 09:58 PM
Haynes are very good, only replace piston rings if car is using a lot of oil. an uprated cam and followers will increase power, as will fitting better carbs, )although you should tell insurance comp about carbs) Sorting out the valves is essential. Exhaust systems are good but pricey (as are anything to make it go faster):(

Anonymous
08-04-01, 12:20 AM
Fit a 1.2 head - higher compression, and better flowed......apparently.

Head gasket kit, including oil-stem seals, exhaust and inlet manifold gaskets, and thermostat seal = ?11
Head bolts = ?10
Dead cheap to do. Prices from Wicker Tyres, Sheffield 0114 2788777
Cam belt is cheap too.

Follow the Haynes, as said.

Anonymous
08-04-01, 10:00 AM
Cool Ive got a 1.2 to use as bits aswell so i will fit the 1.2 head. Im guessing im still using the sr cam as it has the bigger lift?

Anonymous
08-04-01, 11:19 AM
to use a diff. head u have to have a special head gasket!!!!! or else prepere to do a head gasket at least once a month!! my mate told me to put the 1.3sr head on my 1.4! but no-one want's to sell a gasket to do it!!! i'm not going courtney or regal 50 head gaskets aren't to clever! good luck n e way!

*!!i h8 speed cameras!!*

Anonymous
08-04-01, 04:14 PM
The engines perfect apart from the oil breather needs unblocking, it ran fine all the time i had it! :)

Anonymous
09-04-01, 05:16 PM
courtney supply GM stuff ne way. it aint uprated until you part with LOADS of cash

BEng Hons Automotive Electronics Engineering :) worship my electronics skills :D

Anonymous
09-04-01, 11:25 PM
spanishfly........I just used a head-gasket for a 1.3 engine when I fitted the 1.2 head, and it's been in for almost a year now...no probs....and it gets a good thrashing.

Vauxmad....YES, still use the 1.3 cam. In fact, just fit the cam-housing on top if the 1.2 head, as it is.