PDA

View Full Version : super fuel???????????

kronk10
11-10-06, 10:40 PM
Hi i accidentally put super unleaded in my car tonight it was Total super unleaded. I then realised how bloody much it was:confused: my question is 'why is it so expensive and will it help my car as i have had it recently rebuilt and tuned. Does it matter changing back and forth from unleaded to super unleaded. Just wondering ive never used it beforelol

cavturbomike
11-10-06, 10:59 PM
It will have a higher Octane rating, basically it burns better, should be slightly more responsive, benefits modified cars more especially turbos. As to why its more expensive, the makers will claim its all on research but its probly just coining in because they give the impression that ul get more power. Depends what kind of car/engine u have on how much difference of any it makes, my cav turbo runs smoother and is more responsive on Optimax but other cars may not react differently.

kronk10
11-10-06, 11:06 PM
Thanks mate thats all i needed to know.I have never actually thought about using it and iam not really gen'ed up on these things (well iam just thick really) i have a rebuilt 1.4 running webbers and road/rally cam etc etc. I didnt really give it any thrashing tonight after i filled up so i dont know if it does feel any more responsive!?!?! i will have to try and see tomoz. Iam not gonna use it again bloody expensive:eek:

Welsh Dan
11-10-06, 11:11 PM
higher octane fuel lowers the chances of detonation and pre-ignition aswell

Jack
11-10-06, 11:11 PM
Unlikely to find any benefit on a small cc N/A car, especially one running carbs instead of efi.

Welsh Dan
11-10-06, 11:27 PM
mine pinks on it less, but i cba to pay for vpower :p

Jack
11-10-06, 11:31 PM
I'm testing VPower in mine at the mo. I've tried it twice now (btw by "test" I mean 4 tanks run in each time + ECU resets) and my car doesn't seem to like it as much as it did Optimax... whats the MON rating of VPower?

Optimax was good, more expensive per litre but returned better mileage, especially when hooning it, so worked out more economical in the long run.

Runs ok on Sainsbury's SUL (= BP Ultimate; same stuff, but cheaper than buying it at a BP garage) though lol

cavturbomike
11-10-06, 11:35 PM
I only put Shell in on rare occasions, even on a 300BHP LET the difference is barely noticable apart from smoothness and less pinking as Xen0 said. Not really worth it IMO

Stuart
12-10-06, 08:17 AM
on a dizzy setup carbed engine it will have little to no effect......

only ecu controlled or remapped/resetup ign system vehicles have a chance of seeing benefit from higher octane fuel.

ive found that bp ultimate dosent do much in the way of smoother runngin etc. but tescos 99ron definately does (and its cheaper). i dont use Shell fuel if i can help it as its jsut toss..... the vpower makes cars run rough (well all modern cars that i know have had it run through them)

Bouch
12-10-06, 08:36 AM
I had a semi-standard Astra Gsi(mk3, red top) with a super unleaded chip(?) in it. If I didn't use super unleaded, she was a performed like a pig. But my Nova GTE doesn't seam to be any different on either.

Adam
12-10-06, 02:51 PM
Unless your engine has a knock sensor to get gain from the higher ron, i wouldn't bother.

I just stick with std BP unleaded( as i only have a ecu map for 95ron anyway), and yesterday when i filled up the woman on the cashier desk thing said "o i meant tell you dont use the pumps, we've had 4 reports of water comtaminated fuel so far and a woman has just had her car towed by the AA after the engine died pulling off the station" :wtf::wtf::eek:

So my ?30 of fuel may have ?15 worth of water in it. lol

Running fine so far :cool::D Lol

burgo
12-10-06, 02:57 PM
Unless your engine has a knock sensor to get gain from it, i wouldn't bother.
are you aure you mean knock sensor??

Adam
12-10-06, 03:05 PM
Yes

Matt2107
12-10-06, 03:13 PM
"o i meant tell you dont use the pumps, we've had 4 reports of water comtaminated fuel so far and a woman has just had her car towed by the AA after the engine died pulling off the station"

So she told you that after you filled up lol?

Jack
12-10-06, 03:32 PM
A knock sensor would be of more use when using lower octane fuel.

There was a guy at one of my local shell garages who spent his time trying to convince me NOT to buy optimax each time I went there lol

burgo
12-10-06, 03:35 PM
Yesa knock sensor detects detontion, you are alot less likely to get detenation useing a higher ron fuel therefore the knock sensor does sweet fa

Tazzy
12-10-06, 03:39 PM
i dont know what fuel im using, i buy it from morrisons garage as its the cheapest by me, and theres 6 stations by me, so im probably paying for what ive got, p!ss water near enough, i thought about changing, but duno what to and dont understand petrol, so i dont wana just thrown anything into the tank

what would be best for a 1.6mpi corsa and a 1.4 nova on single carb?

Stuart
12-10-06, 03:53 PM
burgo a knock sensor DOES do soemthing with higher octane fuel ;)

as the mixture will be more resistant to detonation (knock) than a 95 ron mixture than the ign advance can go further forward. the knock sensor is used to find the limit of this so you can get "optimal" advance for the given fuel. the knock sensor basically finds the upper limit of the fuels advance and tries to keep things there.

more modern vauxhalls actually calibrate the ign and fuelling on overrun by chucking some fuel in and sparking it up as the engine decelerates to see the difference in crank accel and adjusts on that.

superfu-kingnova
12-10-06, 03:53 PM
an engine transplant tazzy , lol

Stuart
12-10-06, 03:56 PM
oh and "the best" fuel is the cheapest ;)

seriously unless your running a turbo with an engine post 1995ish and/or an N/A engine that is runngin a totally normal compression ratio then there is no point buying these fancy fuels other than to spunk money up the wall.

Matt2107
12-10-06, 04:28 PM
Money better spent on ladies of the night. :D

burgo
12-10-06, 04:31 PM

as the mixture will be more resistant to detonation (knock) than a 95 ron mixture than the ign advance can go further forward. the knock sensor is used to find the limit of this so you can get "optimal" advance for the given fuel. the knock sensor basically finds the upper limit of the fuels advance and tries to keep things there.

more modern vauxhalls actually calibrate the ign and fuelling on overrun by chucking some fuel in and sparking it up as the engine decelerates to see the difference in crank accel and adjusts on that.:roll: ok i stand corrected

Adam
12-10-06, 04:31 PM

Precisely, Lol

dannyb
12-10-06, 05:04 PM
I used to run my Volvo 340 1.7 on contaminated fuel which I got for free from a local garage. It loved a free tankful of petrol that someone else had put a ?5 worth of diesel in.

Jack
12-10-06, 05:17 PM
I'm sure I've been told on some cars the ECU won't advance the timing due to the knock sensor though, only retard it (so effectively only protects it when it you stick lower octane fuel in; then when you put in higher octane fuel, the engine still runs as if its got the lower stuff in). You have to reset the ECU each time you go up a grade.

Adam
12-10-06, 05:22 PM
It constantly adjusts the timing until it runs without pinking, so if you put higher ron fuel in it should advance it to the point it pinks, then back it off a degree or two.

Put 95ron back in and it'll retard it until that doesn't pink.

Stuart
12-10-06, 06:28 PM
not all ecus need a reset. most jsut need a few miles to adjust in what ever way they need. ie as said mine needs a few 3rd gear moderate accelerations and lift offs and its done. its nice and easy lol

london_chris
13-10-06, 01:21 AM
the matey who owned my 1.4sr nova(standard) before me used to chuck in 3 caps of proboost which made quite a bit of difference but if he was going out for a night of street racing once he chucked in half a tin of proboost which enabled him to beat a gte/gsi and a c20xe nova, believe it or not it makes a fking huge difference,however optimax,vpower and the other high octanes did fk all. although running on proboost burned out a valve which is bad but good news for me and i bought the car for ?200 and just need to replace head!bargain, pics on here soon. oh yea will sumone pm me on how to put pics on here lol im new to this nova game lol!

london_chris
13-10-06, 01:24 AM
and wen i mean proboost i mean the retro tin can stuff that u find in an old petrol garage in villages that charge sumin like 110 a litre of unleaded lol. the stuff in halfords is crap and its ?15 for a crappy NOS thing of sh!t, get sum lethal proboost and watch ur car luv it, mine revved past 7000rpm lol easily. oh and i aint bullsh!tting

Jack
13-10-06, 08:43 AM
mine revved past 7000rpm lol easily
That'll be why the head went kaput then lol

btw there's a link in my sig for how to post images ;)

dannyb
13-10-06, 10:34 AM
if he was going out for a night of street racing once he chucked in half a tin of proboost which enabled him to beat a gte/gsi and a c20xe nova

I've gotta get me some proboost next time I'm out street racing.